Film: Midsommar?

Crap
17%
Not Crap
83%

Total votes : 24

Film: Midsommar

Postby RSMurphy on Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:21 am

The shocks were more traditional in Hereditary, but overall Midsommar is the better film. Definitely more cohesive, and really funny. Florence Pugh is great, William Jackson Harper is great, everyone is great, and the shots are just stunning - wide, fluid, dynamic. Impressive gore. It was great. Ari Aster did not come to play with you hoes.

Not Crap
WHALES CHICAGO USA THE MUSIC OF SOUND BANDACMP EP NOISEPOP

LTD. EDITION VINYL COPIES OF SIZE AND SCALE

Trey wrote:I think Randy is great.

Surfrider wrote:Come on Randy! You can do it!!
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

Re: Film: Midsommar

Postby enframed on Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:12 pm

Pretty confident I can vote not crap without even seeing it but will see it soon.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby DrAwkward on Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:44 am

NOT CRAP.

I don't say this about any movies ever, but the sound editing pulled me into this early on. Dani's anguished sobbing, the breeze passing by her during her first trip in Sweden, the empathetic breathing throughout. Incredible.

Aster loves to balance on a tightrope between pits of uncomfortable, transgressive horror, and absurdist comedy, and sometimes I get pulled out of the scene a little bit (same with the climax of Hereditary), but it's all brilliantly executed.

It's nice to have a version of The Wicker Man that doesn't kinda suck. (I don't mean the Cage remake--the original kinda sucks, despite being a classic! Or maybe it's just dated. It's not fucking scary, I know that much.)
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby tmidgett on Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:53 am

Saw it yesterday. Thought it was great, as did my wife.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby placeholder on Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:14 am

NOT CRAP.

I thought it was just fine, but I wanted and expected to be way more into it.

I loved Dani's arc, in addition to the atmosphere, performances, photography, production design, editing, effects, and sound design. It's a very well-made movie.

It just didn't scare, surprise, or unnerve me at all. I could see all the moves.

If you think you know what this movie's going to be, you're probably exactly right.
placeholder
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby RSMurphy on Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:51 am

placeholder wrote:It just didn't scare, surprise, or unnerve me at all. I could see all the moves.

If you would have asked me last month what is your main criteria for assessing a horror movie it would have been how effective and destroyed I would be from fright. I walked out of Midsommar thinking that I could not have been less scared by a movie, but feeling like I actually had been. I'm still wrestling with it because at its core horror needs to scare you. I want to be looking over my shoulder. I want a restless night's sleep. If I may, Ari Aster is redefining what the after-effects of horror can accomplish. I'm not entirely sure that I want that, but I'm impressed by his skill at it.

Or it could be that Lake Mungo shattered my horror bone and I will never be frightened by a movie again.
WHALES CHICAGO USA THE MUSIC OF SOUND BANDACMP EP NOISEPOP

LTD. EDITION VINYL COPIES OF SIZE AND SCALE

Trey wrote:I think Randy is great.

Surfrider wrote:Come on Randy! You can do it!!
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:01 am

It was great. I totally recommend seeing it in the theater - I wouldn’t wait for the DVD.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

dvockins wrote:Gold hardware means you are number one.
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby tmidgett on Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:45 am

I don't know if it's a horror movie exactly.

It's more like Ex Machina or something like that. Using horror tropes as a springboard--great horror is always about expressing the inexpressible darkness lurking at the heart of some human experience, and this one surely does do that much.

The utter vapidity of modern life and society. Also how soft its (still real, still painful) violence and insanity really is compared any other period in history.

The triviality of our ideas and sense of ourselves as individuals. How laughable it is that we "matter" the way we usually think of ourselves mattering.

How culpable men are (and will be) in their own demise and what a reconfiguring (or a return to past configurations) looks like.

The power of an idea and how seductive community is.

Etc.

You can take it as horror, you can take it as sort of a basic revenge fantasy, but you can also see all those other elements woven through it, expertly.

It's a beautiful film, exceedingly well-done, a lot more depth than a typical horror movie. Or even other really good horror movies. Or really good other kinds of movies.

The fact that it all takes place in broad daylight--genius.

I've been thinking about it since I saw it yesterday, straight through. Rattling at a basic level, in a lot of subtle ways.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby tallchris on Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:05 pm

NOT CRAP. I just caught up w/ Hereditary and liked it a lot, but this is a whole 'nother plane.

Really cool article on the cinematography...honestly not sure I've seen another movie shot on location in so much daylight: https://www.indiewire.com/2019/07/midso ... 202155560/
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris

Postby Adam Sr on Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:04 pm

It has something like the distinctive sad intensity of Hereditary at the beginning, but that peters out fast and it settles into a rut, especially character-wise. Some great stuff, some clumsy stuff. I enjoyed the hammer to the old man's face as a literalised metaphor for Ari Aster's crushingly middlebrow sensibility. Not crap, waffles because I don't have any strong feelings about it. I'd watch it again, wouldn't rule out changing my mind, possibly for the worse.
Adam Sr
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby mrcancelled on Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:31 am

Saw it tonight, enjoyed it. I'm still kind of processing it. The way it managed to interweave some incredibly dark moments with hilarious ones was impressive. I found myself unnerved at points but I also had quite a guffaw at others.
mrcancelled
jennifer aniston
jennifer aniston

Postby Podge9 on Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:11 am

placeholder wrote:NOT CRAP.

I thought it was just fine, but I wanted and expected to be way more into it.

I loved Dani's arc, in addition to the atmosphere, performances, photography, production design, editing, effects, and sound design. It's a very well-made movie.

It just didn't scare, surprise, or unnerve me at all. I could see all the moves.

If you think you know what this movie's going to be, you're probably exactly right.

This is a good summary.
It was a mild disappointment for me.
Character and plot wise, it's super thin and that means, although there's a sense of dread for the first half or so, there is virtually no tension, drama, or scares.

The biggest issue for me though, linked to the above, the ridiculous runtime.
This should have been a 100 minute film. I saw no reason to make it 140 mins. I actually started to get a tad bored towards the end as the padding accentuates the lack of tension/drama.

Not close to Hereditary for me
Podge9
hindu
hindu

Postby ooop on Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:13 pm

I am just delighted that this movie is playing in mainstream mass market movie theaters. Go see it on a big screen. You won't regret it.
ooop
walter johnson
walter johnson

Postby M.H on Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:27 am

Great as an experience (visuals and sound design), would echo the calls to see it in the cinema.

Kinda obvious. Too long. A little too slow in too many places.

The horror elements were the bits that didn't work that well for me. The most grotesque spectacles imaginable became passé in mainstream fare like Saw or Hostel over a decade ago. I think the film would have worked better without being so explicit, though I wasted so much of my mid-20s watching any old garbage that my senses are pretty dulled at this point.

I dunno... the whole "Look how beautiful the squashed head is!"... I mean, who will watch this film in 2019 and be shocked by that, I wonder?

Hammered the politics a little too bluntly for most of the run time ("Look out, well-educated, multiracial urbanites! White people be lurkin' in the hills with their primitive runes and their violence!"), but they muddied the water enough in the last 20 mins for me to give it a pass. Sending mixed messages about identity, individualism, community and tradition is a bold move right now.

N.C.
M.H
boutros boutros-ghali
boutros boutros-ghali

Postby mezhrai-busey on Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:45 am

hi folks.

crap.

preferred this movie when it was called The Wicker Man.
mezhrai-busey
fan
fan

Postby mezhrai-busey on Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:24 am

Last edited by mezhrai-busey on Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
mezhrai-busey
fan
fan

Postby VaticanShotglass on Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:41 am

I like that the creepiest parts for me were the more mundane social phenomena. This likely says more about me than the movie, but the most tense part for me was the mayqueen dance (even before it got wierd). I don't have fun at weddings either. Plenty of normal stuff was creepy in this movie by way of the heightened setting. Like dudes being dudes, doe-eyed young sexuality, cultural cohesion, day tripping, all those flowers/allergies. I like the mild psychedelia with the visuals and I really dug the buildings. I liked the bear at the beginning.

It is kinda spoilery if you know how movies work, though. All the tapestries and all made it hard to not see the bits coming. Kinda like in hereditary where they have a high school lit class that addresses a major theme of the film in the film (we should make a list of movies that do this).

I liked it.
VaticanShotglass
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby enframed on Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:23 am

Saw it last night, loved it. So much possible social commentary in here: dudes being dudes, the purpose of academia (who it is really for), anthropology and transgressions made in the pursuit of knowledge, male/female dynamics, the collective pain of women, the male sexual appetite for young girls, individuality vs community, religion, treatment of elders, euthanasia, dignified death, race relations, revenge vs forgiveness, what it means to be free both socially and spiritually, the connectedness of everything.

It was creepy as fuck throughout even though, as acknowledged earlier, the glyphs told the story. The photography was amazing, costumes brilliant, nice comedic elements thrown into the horror, and I believe it is a horror film, though not a slasher or monster or supernatural film. The special effects during the psychedelic trips were amazing and the most accurate representation of a trip I have ever seen put to film, specifically the way things "breathed" and when the May Queen ran her hands along the leaves while seated at the table, and she seemed to draw them to her. Brilliant, closed thing to a "flashback" (which I don't really believe in) I have had.

I need to see Hereditary.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby atomjackfuser on Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:37 am

From a certain point of view, this film has a happy ending.
atomjackfuser
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby zircona1 on Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:52 pm

I really enjoyed it. The early scene with the firefighters going into the house was fantastic, in the way that it was shot, and the droning soundtrack.

I'm no good at writing reviews.
- "Whatever happened to that album?"
- "I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall, and it like, shattered."
zircona1
walter mondale
walter mondale

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap