Film: Midsommar?

Crap
17%
Not Crap
83%

Total votes : 24

Re: Film: Midsommar

Postby Ranxerox on Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:29 am

Directly after watching Hereditary in the theater I was merely satisfied. The film grew on me and I watched it about six times one week as the final minutes, especially the sound craft of the treehouse awakening, got into me good. Love that film.

Midsommar seemed like the Wicker Men. I never even blinked to the 'break up' aspect and found the selfish drives of the various characters as simply showing out why they were chosen for consumption by a religious doggedness that could not sustain itself without predation and trafficking in humans.

To me, both Hereditary and Midsommar are about the weird, unbounded wanderings of self-interest wrought in the group. I did not find the movie to be about Dani, though she was chosen to be the surviving womb.

Riches to the Conjurer.
Ranxerox
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby numberthirty on Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:46 pm

Review of the director's cut. Be forewarned, it seriously goes into some of the exact specifics on what makes it's way into the director's cut. I'd avoid it if you plan on seeing it at some point.

- https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3579151/midsommar-directors-cut-review/

[Review] ‘Midsommar’ Director’s Cut Adds (Even More) Depth to the Characters
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Antero on Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:54 am

Caught the Director's Cut. It was still good! The really remarkable thing about it was that it didn't actually feel much longer, despite literally being so - it still flowed incredibly well.

The original theatrical release is tighter and scarier. The director's cut has more to soak in and a different pace. Not much was lost/gained either way, just shading.

The theatrical has some more attention paid to visual effects re: psychedelics, which are extremely effective.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Malice on Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:57 am

The director's cut is 3 fucking hours. That's just even more self-indulgence on an already boring-ass movie. What's in the extra half hour, more mise-en-scene wank and daytime-television drama?
Malice
busher
busher

Postby PARPS on Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:16 pm

Malice wrote:The director's cut is 3 fucking hours. That's just even more self-indulgence on an already boring-ass movie. What's in the extra half hour, more mise-en-scene wank and daytime-television drama?

It's thirty minutes of Ari Aster addressing you by name and asking what he can do to better accommodate your movie-going experience. There's also like 3 Rush songs added to the soundtrack.
PARPS
ensign
ensign

Postby Malice on Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:24 pm

PARPS wrote:
Malice wrote:The director's cut is 3 fucking hours. That's just even more self-indulgence on an already boring-ass movie. What's in the extra half hour, more mise-en-scene wank and daytime-television drama?

It's thirty minutes of Ari Aster addressing you by name and asking what he can do to better accommodate your movie-going experience. There's also like 3 Rush songs added to the soundtrack.

Hmm, that actually is an improvement.
Malice
busher
busher

Postby Bernardo on Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:25 am

Saw both cuts in the space of a few days. NC either way, but the shorter version is better IMO. I find that the director's cut is more manipulative, in that it paints the boyfriend character less ambiguously. I also don't think anything essential was left out of the shorter version (which is plenty long already), having seen both.

It's really not a horror movie, btw.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby wellsyuk on Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:51 am

I thought it was fantastic. Agreed that some moments might be unintentionally funny, but it looked just incredible, and there was a lot to relate to and subtext. There should be way more creepy folklore films made..
wellsyuk
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby the finger genius on Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:36 pm

Man, Ari loves bashing people's heads in, huh?
Boombats wrote:Meal Young and Gravy Horse

I play drums in Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death

I play everything in Grass Jaw
the finger genius
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby VaticanShotglass on Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:27 pm

The long cut wasn't as good to me but fun to see, nonetheless. It was all like DVD extra stuff. I found it interesting in that way, to see what choices were made with the first cut. Somethings were made more obvious and spelled out. There were more dick jokes. I think there were a few sound cues absent from the shorter cut. Fun to see, but not an improvement. The new material was spread throughout the film, if anyone was wondering.
VaticanShotglass
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby octoberallover on Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:18 am

Dani's entire family had just been gruesomely murdered by her bipolar sister. In light of the circumstances, it's fine that she doesn't want to take shrooms or that she harshes her not newly-orphaned-by-parricide boyfriend's mellow. The boyfriend's clique are callous meritocrats who expect socially vulnerable people to quarantine themselves if they're not having fun. The Hårga are a collectivist society whose extreme notions of personal sacrifice extend to ättestupa yet permit members to experience things that deeply suck as awful. The most disquieting thing about the film is not that Dani chooses to be Hårga, but that it's difficult to say which society is less humane.
octoberallover
fan
fan

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap