CRAP/NOT CRAP

CRAP
No votes
NOT CRAP
100%

Total votes : 5

TV Show: Lodge 49

Postby cneutron on Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:36 pm

AMC show, paired up with Better Call Saul but far less viewed.
Main character is about 70% the next generation's version of "The Dude" from Big Lebowski. Mixes mundane pseudo suburban ennui and working class problems with the every once in awhile dose of crazy magic surrealism.

Here's a synopsis that gets you part of where you need to be to find out about it:
"A light-hearted, endearing modern fable set in Long Beach, California about a disarmingly optimistic local ex-surfer, Dud (Russell), who's drifting after the death of his father and collapse of the family business. Dud serendipitously finds himself on the doorstep of a rundown fraternal lodge, where a middle-aged plumbing salesman and "Luminous Knight" of the order, Ernie (Jennings), welcomes him into a world of cheap beer, easy camaraderie and the promise of Alchemical mysteries that may -- or may not -- put Dud on the path to recover the idyllic life he's lost.

It's really tough to tell what this show is all about at first as it is a few things at the same time and is very comfortable doing it. It's an ensemble cast that has some breakout smaller characters that could be little spin-off shows in their own right (Bruce Campbell! Bronson Pinchot! )

I've recently found it to be laugh out hilarious and super engaging as some of the longer parts of the story have started to pay off and cross over into some of the other b-plots. It's well scripted, well acted, and almost completely unique. Effortlessly comfortable and totally exciting at the same time.

Yet, I don't know a single other human being that watches this show?

It's surreal
and rewards the viewer in a way few television shows do.
I'd say it's two parts Coen brothers to one part David Lynch and I think it's one of my more favored shows currently on the air.

So I say to thee PRF.
CRAP or NOT CRAP?
Last edited by cneutron on Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cneutron
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Re: TV Show: Lodge 49

Postby ooop on Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:11 pm

It's good. I enjoyed watching nearly every episode. I described it to some of my friends as "dirtbag Thomas Pynchon."
ooop
walter johnson
walter johnson

Postby cneutron on Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:13 pm

ooop wrote:It's good. I enjoyed watching nearly every episode. I described it to some of my friends as "dirtbag Thomas Pynchon."

Oh man, that's so great. I'm going to have to use that.
cneutron

Postby Wood Goblin on Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:17 pm

A good friend of mine writes for this. I need to watch it.
Wood Goblin
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Clyde on Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:37 pm

I love Lodge 49. I can't tell you how many times I've thought about starting a thread on this show and then thinking better of it because I knew nobody would respond. You and I might end up being the only ones who comment on this thread though. Is the first season streaming anywhere so other people might catch up?

Such an odd and wonderful mix-up of a show. Part comment of late-capitalist alienation, part character study, part slightly surreal maybe-puzzlebox of a story. I really dig the laid-back hangout nature of it that emphasizes relationships over cliffhangers. Apparently it was highly influenced by Thomas Pynchon (Lodge 49 is a reference to Lot 49) which explains in part the shaggy dog, maybe-paranoid/maybe-real conspiracy stuff that undergirds it. I understand why people make the comparison to the Coen brothers but this is far less misanthropic than they tend to be, with much much affection for the characters. The entire cast is great, especially the three leads. Jim Gavin, who created it, is also a writer whose book of short stories Middle Men, deals with a lot of the same subject matter and comes highly recommended by me.
NewDarkAge wrote:Dialectics, mate. No easy answers.
Clyde
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby cneutron on Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:58 pm

Lot 49 is the only Pynchon I really love, but I can totally see it.
And yeah, astute observations all around.

I only mentioned the Coens because of the effective usage of character actors and background b-plots that are often stunningly mundane, but become important later.

I absolutely adore the writing! I'm totally going to check out that book of short story book now.

As for catching people up, it looks like it's on Hulu?
cneutron

Postby Clyde on Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:42 pm

One of things I really like about this show is its portrayal of all the weird scams that are both at the fringe of contemporary capitalism and its heart: the legalized usury, MLMs, con-men, corporate brainwashing, cryptocurrency, and get-rich-quick schemes.
Clyde

Postby cneutron on Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:18 am

Wow! That last episode was nuts.
cneutron

Postby Clyde on Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:41 am

cneutron wrote:Wow! That last episode was nuts.

It was great stuff. I loved it. I'll try to say something more meaningful later.
Clyde

Postby cneutron on Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:41 am

Clyde wrote:

It was great stuff. I loved it. I'll try to say something more meaningful later.

Yeah, I watched it right before going to bed... which ended up giving me some strange, strange dreams.

Kind of amazing to seemlessly interweave two different narratives together like that.
What an incredible summation of the erasure of women in that era for the one right?
cneutron

Postby Clyde on Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:10 pm

cneutron wrote:
Clyde wrote:

Yeah, I watched it right before going to bed... which ended up giving me some strange, strange dreams.

Kind of amazing to seemlessly interweave two different narratives together like that.
What an incredible summation of the erasure of women in that era for the one right?

That's really funny, my girlfriend and I watched it last night before going to bed too. I had a bunch of strange dreams that as far as I can tell unrelated but she woke up and the first thing she said to me was that she had Lodge 49 dreams all night. And as I'm writing this it occurs to me that she said they all became work dreams too. And one of her biggest problems at her job is that she's basically in charge of everything but she's unacknowledged so hmm.

Yeah, the two narratives together worked beautifully. I wonder how much of those quick transitions was done through editing and how much was done by panning to a different part of the set. The actress who played Jackie Loomis was great. I don't know that I've seen her before this show.

I also liked how some of the threads from last season were picked up again. All the Orbis stuff in particular, which, that's one place where the Pynchon influence really shows. Real Yoyodyne energy. And like in Pynchon, who knows if we'll ever get definitive answers.
Clyde

Postby numberthirty on Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:14 am

Related -

Wyatt Russell will apparently be playing U.S. Agent in the Disney/Marvel "Falcon/Winter Soldier" limited series.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Clyde on Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:28 pm

Angry Liz might be the best Liz.
Clyde

Postby cneutron on Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:22 pm

numberthirty wrote:Related -

Wyatt Russell will apparently be playing U.S. Agent in the Disney/Marvel "Falcon/Winter Soldier" limited series.

Whoa! not the first person I would think for that role at all, but that's cool. He's a talented actor.
Probably trying to get out of the typecasting that comes from being a young: "Jeff 'the Dude' Lewbowski"

also: he's Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn's kid, whoa?
cneutron

Postby cneutron on Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:31 pm

Paul Giamatti as L. Marvin Metz is absolutely amazing.
I absolutely didn't realize that was him doing the voice overs through most of the first season too.

Makes sense since he's a Producer too.
I'd liken it to Danny Devito not showing up in It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia until the second season, just allowing the newer faces establish themselves and the characters on their own first.

Obviously way, way different though.

I also love the very befuddling Janet Price character, storyline.
Her whole deal with Liz is such an obvious grift and the fact that they dealt with it as a throw away line. "oh, I was going to pin it all on you... but this seems like a much better plan!"
So great!
A lesser show would have played out the whole thing over multiple episodes. Even after a savvy watcher called it early on.

Kind of hilarious that they've found a way to get almost the entire cast to Mexico, and have leaned into the absurdity of that too.

Real cool interview with Giamatti here. Also includes Billions content (which I also love)

This bit:
PAUL GIAMATTI: Yeah, I never was under the illusion that this was gonna be an easy thing for people to hook onto. I think we’ve accepted, to some degree, and I think it’s true, that it’s a word-of-mouth show and critics like it. Hopefully, it will open up more slowly. We all knew that. But it’s part of the nature of the show. I’ve had this little production company for awhile, and we’ve done various things, and I have an unfortunate tendency to be interested in things like this, so I’m used to it. It’s okay. We would love it to go on forever, and for more and more people to watch it, but it’s okay, right now, for what it is.

It’s also not a show where you can have a new audience come in, in Season 2.

GIAMATTI: No, it would be helpful to have seen it, from the beginning. It unfolds, novelistically, and people are actually changing and growing, and things are happening and developing. It’s not the same thing, over and over again, which I feel like a lot of shows are, where it’s a repetitive thing that you get every episode, so you can jump in and understand. You’ll be a little bit disorientated, if you haven’t followed it from the beginning. There’s a shark attack, and [this season] starts with people on a plane, and one of them is on fire, and they’re jumping out of the plane, and one of them is dressed like a Mariachi guy, which is great because, hopefully, that sets things up for people who like the show, or don’t know the show, that this is where it’s gonna go. You’re gonna follow a journey to this point, and how you’re gonna get there will hopefully be entertaining.

yuuuuuuuup.
cneutron

Postby numberthirty on Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:40 pm

cneutron wrote:
numberthirty wrote:Related -

Whoa! not the first person I would think for that role at all, but that's cool. He's a talented actor.
Probably trying to get out of the typecasting that comes from being a young: "Jeff 'the Dude' Lewbowski"

also: he's Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn's kid, whoa?

While it doesn't feel like it's common knowledge, yeah. I thought I heard someone doing a "John Carpenter" podcast say he actually had an "Didn't Make The Credits" role as one of the kids in L.A. in Escape From L.A.

As for the sort of "The Dude" thing, did you get to see Overlord? That film was giving out chances to avoid being typecast like they were Halloween candy.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby cneutron on Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:18 am

Have NOT seen the Overlord. I'll look into it.

Man! Last episode. What an effort at tying in the whole ensemble as full realized characters and revisiting the ridiculous tableau that the season started with. So glad to see Mary Elizabeth Ellis back in it and being utilized in an awesome way. She rules.

The whole auction thing was such a high nuanced farce, amazing stuff.

But really, tying everything back to that opening scene with the airplane. So amazing.
In the hands of a lesser show, it wouldn't work.

This show is so great. Only one episode left, and I have absolutely no clue what the hell is going to happen.
cneutron

Postby cneutron on Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:48 pm

Giamatti is doing an AMA on Reddit about the show right now.
cneutron

Postby Clyde on Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:09 am

I won't say too much just yet about the finale except that it was great and it set up exciting things for a third season, if there is one. I'm not optimistic though.
Clyde

Postby cneutron on Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:38 pm

Clyde wrote:I won't say too much just yet about the finale except that it was great and it set up exciting things for a third season, if there is one. I'm not optimistic though.

Well, now is definitely the time to make noise about it.
I'm really hoping a 3rd season happens.

I agree about the finale.
So great!
cneutron

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap