NBC Fantasy/Comedic Series? The Good Place

Crap
6%
Not Crap
94%

Total votes : 16

Re: NBC Fantasy/Comedic Series: The Good Place

Postby Anonymous37 on Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:21 am

Not Crap, but I'm going into the final episodes certain that the show will ultimately disappoint.

The conclusion that Michael (Ted Danson) comes to in Season 3, Episode 10, "Janet(s)", that (the next few paragraphs are spoilers, highlight to read) no one has made it to the Good Place in more than 500 years because interconnectedness on Earth has made it impossible for people to escape the negative effects on others' actions, is a complete mess.

The show takes this as a given that this is why no one in more than 500 years has made it to the Good Place. The problem is, even if one accepts this as a moral or philosophical truth that people are responsible for the negative "karma" or whatever of the actions of others when they engage in basic transactions, it makes no sense given the history of the Earth for the past 500 years.

Of the more than 10 billion people who lived and died during that period, I feel safe in saying that at least a hundred million never lived lives that were "interconnected" in the sense that the show is using the word. There are certainly people who've lived on remote islands or other areas undiscovered by outsiders.

Now, had Gen replied to Michael, "Oh yeah, nobody's made it into the Good Place recently because only one out of every hundred million people or so make it and there are maybe a couple dozen people total up there," that'd be one thing. But she is also accepting that "interconnectedness" is the reason behind the recent drought.

One commenter on the AVClub boards said that he thought the only way the show could really resolve things in a way that was actually satisfying was to have a big reveal at the end that everyone, including the angels, demons, Janets, and Gen, are in Purgatory. I agree with him that that would be the only ending that would approach satisfying, but would still end up making The Good Place this decade's Lost: a promising show that wrote itself into a corner.
Anonymous37
rodeo clown
rodeo clown

Postby Antero on Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:10 pm

I think the key there is not the specific basis for the math, but rather to reveal the whole process of judging people as simply good or evil to be wholly inadequate.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Anonymous37 on Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:30 pm

Antero wrote:I think the key there is not the specific basis for the math, but rather to reveal the whole process of judging people as simply good or evil to be wholly inadequate.

Yeah, when I've complained about this elsewhere, most people shrug, which I suppose I have to take as an indicator that I'm the one with the problem. So I should say instead it's enough to ruin it for me.
Anonymous37
rodeo clown
rodeo clown

Postby RSMurphy on Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:19 pm

It's a nail-biter, people.
WHALES CHICAGO USA THE MUSIC OF SOUND BANDACMP EP NOISEPOP

LTD. EDITION VINYL COPIES OF SIZE AND SCALE

Trey wrote:I think Randy is great.

Surfrider wrote:Come on Randy! You can do it!!
RSMurphy
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby RSMurphy on Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:24 am

The finale, save for the Seth Myers post-series wrap-up, wasn't as saccharine as I expected. Frankly, I couldn't see any other way to finish it than the obvious (for most of the characters). Left me feeling sad, not for the show, but for life in general. This was a fine show.

EDIT: not sad for life, but sad about no life. that sounds dumb too. I can't express why I feel sad, just an overall feeling of sad.

Sad!

RSMurphy
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby tallchris on Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:04 pm

Finale was great. Got misty several times. Will definitely be interested in a full rewatch now that we know how things end.

Damn, TGP and Bojack ending the same week, way to take all the good stuff away at once!
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby RSMurphy on Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:02 pm

RSMurphy
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby enframed on Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:27 am

Antero wrote:diverse cast with only 1 white man out of 6 main characters and representation that refuses to participate in American racial stereotypes.

They sure fucked with Floridians a lot though IIRC.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Antero on Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:48 am

I can't believe they stuck the landing.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap