Thunderdome: Tropical Fuck Storm vs Pile

Tropical Fuck Storm
63%
Pile
38%

Total votes : 24

Re: Thunderdome: Tropical Fuck Storm Vs. Pile

Postby ldopa_chicago on Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:43 am

Interesting poll. I think the comparison is apt. I've been a Pile fan much longer than I've known TFS so I'm sure that factors in. My general feelings about TFS is parts of their songs are meh but then I hang around and something unexpected and visceral and compelling happens. With Pile I get the same visceral unexpected bit but I find the baseline songs more compelling.

Totally agree w/ NewDarkAge about Rick/Pile as coming out of the American folk tradition. I see Rick as a sort of modern minstrel making music out of sheer creative compulsion. Whereas TFS feels a bit more dramatic or performative (a la Nick Cave who I just can't get into), Pile feels more intimate.

That being said, for whatever reason a lot of Pile fans are dogshit assholes and going to their shows can be obnoxious. I assume this is because they are from Boston.
jimmy two hands wrote:Jam econo for fuck's sake.

I play guitar in Daddy's Boy
I played guitar in Fake Limbs and bass in Burn Permits.
ldopa_chicago
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Re: Thunderdome: Tropical Fuck Storm Vs. Pile

Postby askii on Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:52 am

yaledelay wrote:Erica has a mustang and some other guitar that had kind of a mustang body (and vibrato system) and a different headstock shape.

I believe that other one is a "sweet as" custom job. It's kind of badass that she's not precious about taking that thing on an overseas tour and torturing it onstage.

ldopa_chicago wrote:That being said, for whatever reason a lot of Pile fans are dogshit assholes and going to their shows can be obnoxious. I assume this is because they are from Boston.

Even worse: fuckin' Acton, kid!
askii
tv clown
tv clown

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap