Bobby Fuller Four?

Let her CRAP
No votes
Let her NOT CRAP
100%

Total votes : 4

Band: The Bobby Fuller Four

Postby mattw on Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:53 pm

I searched but didn't see them. Each time I become aware of a song by the BF4, I have to dig deeper into their catalog and check more stuff out. Wrote a lot of his own material, but of course had big hits with covers, too. I love "A New Shade of Blue"- great heartbreak song. Guy had a strange/unexplained death.
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Re: Band: The Bobby Fuller Four

Postby Heaven is in your beard on Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:04 am

There was a C/NC thread on Tommy James and the Shondells where I think I mentioned them as possible kindred spirits, but never got around to starting an independent thread on them for some reason.

On the strength of the compilation I've got (Rhino's "I Fought the Law - The Best of...") I'd say not crap at all. Like the Beach Boys, I like the way their music bridges the gap between the bobbysox innocence of 1950s pop which the loftier melodic and harmonic ambitions of their mid-60s contemporaries. "Another Sad and Lonely Night" is also a great heartbreak song. 'Tis a tragedy that Mr. Fuller was suspiciously cut down in his prime (murdered by a vengeful record exec after trying to get out of an exploitative deal ? Guess we'll never know for sure).
The panda made me do it.
Heaven is in your beard
the cheat
the cheat

Postby mattw on Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:35 pm

Heaven is in your beard wrote:
On the strength of the compilation I've got (Rhino's "I Fought the Law - The Best of...") I'd say not crap at all.

I'd recommend the Mustang Years compilation. There's a lot on it- and a good bit of filler- but it's all the essentials. Also, the live recordings sound surprisingly good for the era. They were a tight band- great players.
mattw

Postby Heaven is in your beard on Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:57 am

mattw wrote:
On the strength of the compilation I've got (Rhino's "I Fought the Law - The Best of...") I'd say not crap at all.

I'd recommend the Mustang Years compilation. There's a lot on it- and a good bit of filler- but it's all the essentials. Also, the live recordings sound surprisingly good for the era. They were a tight band- great players.

just had a look for that on Amazon - seems it's only available for streaming or as an MP3 now - the cheapest used copy of the CD is $215, which is a bit beyond my budget. Nonetheless, I like what I've heard enough to want to download the tracks I don't already have come payday. Do you know if tha tracks are presented in mono or stereo? All but one track on the Rhino CD is mono, which I tend to prefer up until around 1968 or so, mainly due to the crude and enervating separation on most early rock stereo mixes.
The panda made me do it.
Heaven is in your beard
the cheat
the cheat

Postby mattw on Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:22 am

mattw wrote:

just had a look for that on Amazon - seems it's only available for streaming or as an MP3 now - the cheapest used copy of the CD is $215, which is a bit beyond my budget. Nonetheless, I like what I've heard enough to want to download the tracks I don't already have come payday. Do you know if tha tracks are presented in mono or stereo? All but one track on the Rhino CD is mono, which I tend to prefer up until around 1968 or so, mainly due to the crude and enervating separation on most early rock stereo mixes.

It's on streaming platforms like Spotify. Edit: It looks like it's a mix of stereo and mono versions of tracks. https://www.discogs.com/The-Bobby-Fulle ... se/8414773

There's a 'Mysterious Circumstances' podcast that goes more into his life, and it's pretty interesting- for instance, that he had a home recording setup in his backyard- with an echo chamber and all that.
mattw

Return to Crap / Not Crap