Re: Activist Kiddo: Greta Thunberg

Postby curry pervert on Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:43 pm

^ Fucking morons.
curry pervert
cpt. lee 'apollo' adama
cpt. lee 'apollo' adama

Postby askii on Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:50 pm

I hope she's arranged to visit the actual tar sands, ideally with some of her new Native comrades. The visual of those mines alone is worth a thousand death-metal-worthy words.
askii
mime
mime

Postby famousjunkie on Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:26 pm

I don't think it's healthy for somebody this young to be getting so much media attention and scrutiny. Positive or negative, it feels like people are just using a child to attain personal ideological victories.

I watched a few clips of her speak and there seemed to be a darkening of the circles under her eyes as the interviews went on. Probably very exhausted from having cameras and microphones shoved in her face, people constantly trying to "catch" her saying something wrong, as well as overzealous supporters draining her energy.

I don't think that's healthy for anybody, but a kid makes me feel even worse about it. Yeah, I sound very moralistic but whatever. It's true. This isn't a good way to live and we should stop doing this kind of thing.
famousjunkie
grover
grover

Postby bishopdante on Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:17 am

With the advent of the Internet, a large dose of unfettered public exposure is dangerous like never before.

Social media has had its car crashes - particularly the problem with photographic and video representation is that people's likeness becomes a mass commodity, which is a very personal sort of publishing, which is novel, especially in the context of digital networked media.

Kiki Kannibal was one of the first casualties of real-time video media: https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/cu ... ire-66507/

The problem is that if a small minority of people decide to make your life a misery [particularly if they work for a government agency or large oil company, and have significant psywar resources], the potential level of aggressive privacy invasion and the cost of securing your entire life to A-list anti-paparazzi levels is not to be underestimated.

Greta Thunberg's sister has (no doubt) been part of the collateral damage.
https://www.insider.com/greta-thunberg- ... gn-2019-10

The contemporary twitter-insta-facebox-sky-CNN-newscorp media circus has some significant occupational hazards - I do hope that Trumpo is recognised as one of the shining lights of the ongoing social media disaster, but unlike pretty much everybody else he's insulated by a very expensive secret service / military security patrol, and it's much harder surviving that sort of exposure if you are in an environment where there are no degrees of separation betweeen the general public and the publisher, via the internet. It's easy to become public property and get paid precisely zero for it in the internet era.

As a counter-example... can you visualise Robert Louis Stevenson's face? it used to be easy to maintain your privacy while publishing - and arguably it still is possible if you know how to play your cards well.

Particularly in the case of stalkers, and those one-in-a-million dedicated creeps, ask anybody who has had the dubious privilege of A-list promoted celebrity what it's like when you wake up to find another dedicated and thoroughly delusional obsessively full-time stalker in your bedroom/kitchen.
Code: Select all
01100011 01101111 01101110 01100111 01110010 01100001 01110100 01110101 01101100 01100001 01110100 01101001 01101111 01101110 01110011
bishopdante
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby kokorodoko on Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:25 am

bishopdante wrote:Sweden is kinda scary. Spent quite a while naked in a featureless white sci-fi dystopian cell being given strange orders like a "simon says" game, hold your hands on your head, stand on one leg, spread your butt cheecks etc thanks to the utterly humourless Swedish Police, with their Army Vibe, and the presence of a very small quantity of marijuana (0.47g in total), and the fact that the crew were assorted international, black/arabic/slavic etc. It was seemingly serious, like we had nuclear materials on us.

"Swedish Conservative" certainly has some negative connotations, and there are some slightly less friendly reasons why anti-aviation and "stop travelling" might be popular topics in certain circles https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden_Democrats

First paragraph: That's just cops being cops, no?

Second paragraph: Strange paranoia which I don't understand. Why are Swedish conservatives scarier than any other conservative? You seem to suggest that anti-immigrant parties might be keen on the "stop flying" idea because it would mean fewer immigrants flying in? Well possibly, though quite far-fetched. Nobody has said "stop travelling" either, only "stop flying" or "fly less", which regardless of the line anti-immigrant parties might have regarding it is a concrete response to the immediate issue - although not prehaps as effective as it might seem at the outset since I would guess that a significant part of air travel is done for overseas shipping and the like, things that are not so easily done away with.

The Sweden Democrats hate Greta, for that matter.
Boombats wrote:I keep thinking of smarter shit to say about him [Jordan Peterson], but my gut reaction is "this nigga gay"
kokorodoko
mal evans
mal evans

Postby RSMurphy on Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:46 am

WHALES CHICAGO USA THE MUSIC OF SOUND BANDACMP EP NOISEPOP

LTD. EDITION VINYL COPIES OF SIZE AND SCALE

Trey wrote:I think Randy is great.

Surfrider wrote:Come on Randy! You can do it!!
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby mazacultura on Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:41 pm

Every shithead baby boomer on my Facebook feed seems to be freaking out about this girl nonstop, so that's a Not Crap by itself.
mazacultura
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby bishopdante on Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:06 pm

kokorodoko wrote:
bishopdante wrote:Sweden is kinda scary. Spent quite a while naked in a featureless white sci-fi dystopian cell being given strange orders like a "simon says" game, hold your hands on your head, stand on one leg, spread your butt cheecks etc thanks to the utterly humourless Swedish Police, with their Army Vibe, and the presence of a very small quantity of marijuana (0.47g in total), and the fact that the crew were assorted international, black/arabic/slavic etc. It was seemingly serious, like we had nuclear materials on us.

"Swedish Conservative" certainly has some negative connotations, and there are some slightly less friendly reasons why anti-aviation and "stop travelling" might be popular topics in certain circles https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden_Democrats

First paragraph: That's just cops being cops, no?

No, being locked in a featureless ultra-bright-white cell the size of a phonebox, naked, for 4hrs, while my passport was taken away, then told to go through a personal-violation routine where some guy in jackboots and a beret wanted to peer up my fucking asshole and ask me to perform various lewd balancing acts so they could inspect every surface without touching me. Maybe that's normal some places, but the british police don't do that. It's very much hostage-taking army orders, you get told what will happen, not just given orders in sequence with no idea what will happen, or how long you'll be there for, or even if you have any rights to legal representation, a phonecall, the embassy, or whatever. You don't.

I was busted for sitting on a train with a micro-joint's worth of herb loose in my pocket and got picked up by an army of coppers with a sniffer dog. Once sniffed and pockets inspected, I said "yea, OK, busted", expecting to get, I dunno, confiscation? Can we see your passport? Ah OK, you're a travelling crew from London, you've got a flat in Sweden supplied to you, the papers and keys all add up, and you're not actually hiding anything. Maybe an on the spot fine? A warning? Nah nah nah. Stop the train. 40 cops get on. You're all coming down the station, and we're taking away your clothes and your passports, and subjecting you all to serious violation, followed by being coerced into signing over powers of attorney to the Swedish Government, so that they can charge me with international smuggling, or I'm staying in the cells for the weekend and missing the show we're all working on, and going to court on Monday with a jail stretch on the menu. I'll admit, it's nowhere near as seriously draconian as somewhere like North Korea, but I definitely thought, while in the cell "this has a very gestapo vibe, guys".

Everybody got the same naked blindingly bright phonebox search, even though the sniffer dog was not interested in them. The swarthier the skin, the more violating the search, we discerned on the debrief.

Put it this way, I'm not getting busted for any joints in Sweden. If I can, I avoid the place completely. They're notorious for nicking musicians for a joint and really taking the prosecution far too far.

Snoopzilla reportedly won't go back, for similar reasons.
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/ ... ish-police

Marijuana laws in Sweden are some of the harshest in Europe, and the country outright bans any and all possession, sale, transport, and cultivation of cannabis, including medical marijuana—with few exceptions.

The possession, transport, cultivation, and sale of cannabis is federally illegal in Sweden and many Swedish law enforcement officers and lawmakers do not distinguish between weed and harder drugs.

The national police use the standards of a particular policy known as "disturb and annoy," backed by the government's zero-tolerance policy. This means that police may stop an individual on the suspicion of drug use—and the police are trained on how to spot someone under the influence of a narcotic. They do not need any further reason than suspicion to make an arrest.

The alcohol situation is also bizarre, being that the only company licensed to sell anything stronger than 3.5% is a monopoly run by the government https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systembolaget

After 7pm on Fridays, and 3pm on Saturdays, there is nowhere in Sweden to buy a bottle of wine for home consumption, let alone anything stronger.

Hence the Swedes are notorious for weekend alcohol-tourism in Norway and Denmark. Recently the Danish government had to pepper spray a bunch of swedish teenagers, and return them in a pile *hammered*, on a commandeered ferry. They'd started rioting after being declined entry to nightclubs and drinking on the beach.

There are also the notorious offshore booze cruises.
https://www.ft.com/content/6040e408-ed3 ... 9a44939bb6

----------

kokorodoko wrote:Second paragraph: Strange paranoia which I don't understand. Why are Swedish conservatives scarier than any other conservative?

I'm not suggesting they're anywhere near as scary as the UK's C18. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_18

kokorodoko wrote:You seem to suggest that anti-immigrant parties might be keen on the "stop flying" idea because it would mean fewer immigrants flying in? Well possibly, though quite far-fetched. Nobody has said "stop travelling" either, only "stop flying" or "fly less", which regardless of the line anti-immigrant parties might have regarding it is a concrete response to the immediate issue - although not prehaps as effective as it might seem at the outset since I would guess that a significant part of air travel is done for overseas shipping and the like, things that are not so easily done away with.

It's not remotely paranoid. The modern environmentalism movement has its origins in conservative movements, with naziism taking it to a whole new level of proficiency.

https://facingtoday.facinghistory.org/e ... earth-week

As we celebrate Earth Week, it might seem obvious that ecological thinking and aims are always aligned with moral behavior and compassion. But that isn’t always the case, and it certainly wasn’t the case in Weimar and Nazi Germany where the field of modern ecology emerged.
Surprisingly, Nazi leadership ardently championed renewable energy, and institutionalized organic farming and land use planning on a level unmatched by any nation past or present. These environmental policies might seem like a welcome departure from the rest of the Nazi program, but their environmentalism was actually grounded in the same racist worldview that shaped the Holocaust.

Despite the racist underpinnings of Nazi environmentalism, the desire to live in better partnership with the planet and participate in contemporary environmental activism does not make one a Nazi. Exploring how to live well with one another and nonhuman life on this planet is, undoubtedly, a vital task of this generation. But this task demands that we understand the origins of our modern ecological science and some of the devastating ways that those ideas can be operationalized.

Y'a get me blud.

Here's a parallel analogy: It was also GE and Krupp research science that developed tungsten carbide cutting tools, and a cartel partnership was used to massively inflate the price of the material http://www.ranknfile-ue.org/uen_nastybiz.html However I have no objection to people using tungsten carbide tools, nor would I suggest that anybody is a nazi simply for owning some router bits.

kokorodoko wrote:The Sweden Democrats hate Greta, for that matter.

This surprises me not one little bit.
Code: Select all
01100011 01101111 01101110 01100111 01110010 01100001 01110100 01110101 01101100 01100001 01110100 01101001 01101111 01101110 01110011
bishopdante
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap