home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Activist Kiddo: Greta Thunberg

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

What is she?

Rational Human Being
27
44%
Cool Girl
17
28%
Alarmist and Bad Actor
2
3%
Prophet
6
10%
Just Asperger Kiddo
1
2%
Victim of Mad Era
7
11%
Forbidden Topic
1
2%
 
Total votes : 61

Re: Asperger Kiddo: Greta Thunberg

Postby Boombats on Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:10 pm

I Know Only Two wrote:And still, you replied within a couple of minutes, which suggests you're at least interested in telling me, probably hoping I'm gonna gun myself or something.

Sprague Dawley wrote:That is quite the extrapolation you've made there.
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
User avatar
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog
 
Posts: 20734
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:31 am

Re: Asperger Kiddo: Greta Thunberg

Postby Heaven is in your beard on Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:23 pm

seanurban wrote:
Heaven is in your beard wrote: she's a tough cookie and I doubt she'll wilt.
i don't think this will end well for her, becoming a meme at the age of 16. we are monsters.
n/c


She strikes me as a bit too smart to let the attention - whether positive or negative - go to her head, as evidenced by the fact that she continually emphasizes in her speeches that it's her message that's important and not her. Plus, given that she's already battled with - and is apparently managing - both clinical depression and an eating disorder, I doubt that the fame will break her.
The panda made me do it.
User avatar
Heaven is in your beard
strongbad
strongbad
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 1:29 pm
Location: London.

Re: Asperger Kiddo: Greta Thunberg

Postby Anthony Flack on Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:26 pm

jimmy spako wrote:Not being able to "flit around" on airplanes twice a year certainly qualifies as a sacrifice if you live half a world away from your aging parents (and you have a kid or kids to boot). Not everybody is you. I hate it but that is the way life is for millions and millions and millions of people.


Compared to mass extinction it shouldn't be a hard choice. What if there was no cheap air travel? You'd have to adjust.We all have to adjust. Plane tickets are massively underpriced for the damage that they do. When my great-grandparents emigrated they came by boat, and they had no expectation that they would be able to go back to see their family twice a year.

It's not exactly wonderful being stuck on a small island in the middle of the ocean you know. And the reason I'm here is because my parents are here and I want my kids grow up around their family. My work is in the UK. If there was a carbon-acceptable way to get off this rock I would sure be happy about that. I used to fly back and forth from Japan twice a year but I don't feel like I can conscionably live like that any more.

I appreciate that it's a sensitive topic but flitting around the world on cheap flights is exactly what we, collectively, are doing. The hard stuff is going to be much harder to solve than that.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9595
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:27 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Asperger Kiddo: Greta Thunberg

Postby seanurban on Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:47 pm

Heaven is in your beard wrote:
seanurban wrote:
Heaven is in your beard wrote: she's a tough cookie and I doubt she'll wilt.
i don't think this will end well for her, becoming a meme at the age of 16. we are monsters.
n/c

She strikes me as a bit too smart to let the attention - whether positive or negative - go to her head, as evidenced by the fact that she continually emphasizes in her speeches that it's her message that's important and not her. Plus, given that she's already battled with - and is apparently managing - both clinical depression and an eating disorder, I doubt that the fame will break her.

i'm not saying she's in danger of getting a big head. depression doesn't care how smart you are. and an eating disorder too? i was not aware of that.
she's not old enough to understand the long term consequences of her campaign, long after she is forgotten. her parents should at least think about protecting her psyche.
User avatar
seanurban
King High
 
Posts: 4919
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:22 pm

Re: Asperger Kiddo: Greta Thunberg

Postby jimmy spako on Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:56 pm

Anthony Flack wrote:
jimmy spako wrote:Not being able to "flit around" on airplanes twice a year certainly qualifies as a sacrifice if you live half a world away from your aging parents (and you have a kid or kids to boot). Not everybody is you. I hate it but that is the way life is for millions and millions and millions of people.


Compared to mass extinction it shouldn't be a hard choice. What if there was no cheap air travel? You'd have to adjust.We all have to adjust. Plane tickets are massively underpriced for the damage that they do. When my great-grandparents emigrated they came by boat, and they had no expectation that they would be able to go back to see their family twice a year.

It's not exactly wonderful being stuck on a small island in the middle of the ocean you know. And the reason I'm here is because my parents are here and I want my kids grow up around their family. My work is in the UK. If there was a carbon-acceptable way to get off this rock I would sure be happy about that. I used to fly back and forth from Japan twice a year but I don't feel like I can conscionably live like that any more.

I appreciate that it's a sensitive topic but flitting around the world on cheap flights is exactly what we, collectively, are doing. The hard stuff is going to be much harder to solve than that.


Anthony, in all honesty you are a massive know-it-all and your self-righteousness is often hard to take. Maybe pause for a second and think about whether anyone really needs to hear your bullshit from time to time.
Isabelle Gall wrote:'Do not go smoothly into that dark night'
User avatar
jimmy spako
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
 
Posts: 5177
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:49 am
Location: schnitzel circuit

Re: Asperger Kiddo: Greta Thunberg

Postby Boombats on Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:05 pm

Just chiming in to say that jimmy spako is the nicest, chillest dude and if you rankled him, you fucked up big time son
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
User avatar
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog
 
Posts: 20734
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:31 am

Re: Asperger Kiddo: Greta Thunberg

Postby Tommy on Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:35 pm

jimmy spako wrote:
Anthony Flack wrote:
jimmy spako wrote:Not being able to "flit around" on airplanes twice a year certainly qualifies as a sacrifice if you live half a world away from your aging parents (and you have a kid or kids to boot). Not everybody is you. I hate it but that is the way life is for millions and millions and millions of people.


Compared to mass extinction it shouldn't be a hard choice. What if there was no cheap air travel? You'd have to adjust.We all have to adjust. Plane tickets are massively underpriced for the damage that they do. When my great-grandparents emigrated they came by boat, and they had no expectation that they would be able to go back to see their family twice a year.

It's not exactly wonderful being stuck on a small island in the middle of the ocean you know. And the reason I'm here is because my parents are here and I want my kids grow up around their family. My work is in the UK. If there was a carbon-acceptable way to get off this rock I would sure be happy about that. I used to fly back and forth from Japan twice a year but I don't feel like I can conscionably live like that any more.

I appreciate that it's a sensitive topic but flitting around the world on cheap flights is exactly what we, collectively, are doing. The hard stuff is going to be much harder to solve than that.


Anthony, in all honesty you are a massive know-it-all and your self-righteousness is often hard to take. Maybe pause for a second and think about whether anyone really needs to hear your bullshit from time to time.


Not everybody can do it all. It's a glorious thing to strive for, but get in where you fit in. Arguments like this alienate more than they help. The take away here should be the knowledge and then do with it what you can. All of it helps. Let's get started first. Get buy-in from everyone. Instead of alienating and pointing fingers.

Everyone has an angle they can be self-righteous with. For instance, it's extremely not helpful if I say something like "I didn't have any children so I've reduced my carbon footprint literally exponentially - more than anyone with children ever could." An argument that I've sadly actually said before in my life. It's offputting. It makes someone else think, well, fuck it. Or, fuck that guy I'm going to do whatever is opposite of what that guy said. But I'm growing. We're all growing. Let's listen to each other and try to help where we can. We can all do stuff. Maybe Jimmy's stuff equals Anthony's not flying. Who knows? It all helps!
User avatar
Tommy
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6099
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Logan Square, Chicago, IL

Re: Asperger Kiddo: Greta Thunberg

Postby Anthony Flack on Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:00 pm

Well hold on to your hats cause here comes some more insufferable self-righteousness from mr know-it-all. You can take it in the spirit it's intended in or go blow it out your ass, the choice is yours. I'm just somebody who likes to talk about ideas that interest me; you're the one who decided to take it personally. If you don't want to hear my bullshit then don't fucking read it. An empty forum with no activity seems to be where things are heading anyway, so maybe you're right, maybe I don't add anything of value and I should fuck off. I'm perfectly aware that I'm not very well liked.

But since I had typed this up already I may as well post it. Ok, ready? On with the insufferable bullshit, look out!

Reforestation is apparently one of the most effective things that can be done right now; obviously there is a limit to how much carbon we can offset with reforesting, and we are way, way into carbon deficit at the moment so it's not an excuse to keep burning things... but would anybody object if the cost of air travel was doubled, and the extra money was used for reforestation?

It wouldn't work if it was only voluntary; the price of tickets needs to go up in order to put downward pressure on the volume of flights. Cheap flights have completely destroyed the passenger rail service around here - you can't take a train any more. The train station has been demolished. That seems completely wrong to me, although to be fair I am an insufferable know-it-all.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9595
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:27 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Asperger Kiddo: Greta Thunberg

Postby Anthony Flack on Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:04 pm

Boombats wrote:Just chiming in to say that jimmy spako is the nicest, chillest dude and if you rankled him, you fucked up big time son


All I said was, not taking multiple flights per year was a comparatively small sacrifice compared to the sacrifices we are going to have to make in order to turn this ship around. Which is true, I think. But I guess I fucked up big time so... ok, I've been given a pretty clear message I'm not welcome.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9595
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:27 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Asperger Kiddo: Greta Thunberg

Postby Sprague Dawley on Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:20 pm

Anthony Flack wrote:But I guess I fucked up big time so... ok, I've been given a pretty clear message I'm not welcome.

Would you like to sign up for my Most Hated Wankers On EA newsletter? It's a ripping read!







Actually, it's shit.

seriously though, hang in there Anthony. don't let the fuckers drag you down
User avatar
Sprague Dawley
les nessman
les nessman
 
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:59 am
Location: Pitcairns via Onehunga

Re: Asperger Kiddo: Greta Thunberg

Postby Pasta on Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:58 pm

Image
RSMurphy wrote:Everything I enjoy about metal: heavy, cool riffs, hooks, expressive vocals.
User avatar
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer
 
Posts: 3156
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:11 pm
Location: Doom Town

Re: Asperger Kiddo: Greta Thunberg

Postby seanurban on Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:57 pm

That's what I mean. To us she is entertainment, a charicature, a weapon. I can't imagine the toll it's taking.
She's 16!
User avatar
seanurban
King High
 
Posts: 4919
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:22 pm

Re: Asperger Kiddo: Greta Thunberg

Postby Anthony Flack on Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:20 pm

I do feel like I need to say this, with all due consideration to people's limited tolerance for my bullshit:

Anybody who supposes that I am pleased with myself or that I think I've got it all figured out has got me all wrong. Especially about this. I still own a car for fuck's' sake. I have been trying to use it less, and I'm currently down to around one tank every seven to eight weeks, which I guess is pretty ok as far as that goes, but every single time I fill up I feel like a total piece of shit. And so I should.

I don't go around lecturing other people about it and I don't expect everybody else to see it that way, but I know, in my heart, that I am a piece of shit for doing this. And it doesn't stop there. I should be trying much harder and although I could offer up plenty of excuses, I know it's inadequate and I am a piece of shit who knowingly does the wrong thing because it is expedient.

And you know I probably will take a flight again one of these days, that's how much of a piece of shit I am. We need people who are more responsible than me to step up and put a stop to my behaviour.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9595
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:27 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Asperger Kiddo: Greta Thunberg

Postby Hexensabbat on Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:00 pm

Ironically, Greta Thunberg is exactly what certain conservatives have been championing for a while: a Nordic ubermensch.
User avatar
Hexensabbat
tv clown
tv clown
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:15 pm

Re: Asperger Kiddo: Greta Thunberg

Postby Me Again on Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:32 pm

Flack has always struck me an okay bloke, based on his posts. I for one have enjoyed his presence here. And tarring and feathering nearly anyone who's posted here regularly as a know-it-all is a bit of a pot-meet-kettle phenomenon (you might not think of yourself as pedantic, but you probably are, at least more than you think, however well mannered you might be). And people can seem a lot more self-satisfied and couched in certainty over the internet than they are in real life. A lot of doubts and various ups and downs a person might have can be harder to perceive in this arena.

I think the reason emotions can ride so high in discussions like these, putting aside the issue of Thunberg and ad hominem attacks on her (which are indeed unfortunate and should be railed against), is that we're all, to varying degrees, implicated somehow when it comes to adding to the destruction of the planet. I mean, I'm friends with a well-known-in-certain-circles independent filmmaker who's been very vocal about the imminent collapse of industrial civilization on social media, and yet since about the sixties he's been flying around the world all the time for screenings of his work. Even people who've enjoyed far fewer material comforts than those riding high on the hog, even those who view the superstructures around them as inherently corrupt, have often benefited from the runoff of the system put in place. It is hard for a person to exist completely outside something that's all around them, and everyone they know, but this doesn't mean we should all lapse into defeatism. It will take incremental changes before anything more severe happens. For now, the biggest roadblock to addressing this problem is that a good chunk of the population doesn't even think there is one. People like Thunberg are calling them out on this, and that's a step in the right direction.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
User avatar
Me Again
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast
 
Posts: 1255
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:08 am

Re: Asperger Kiddo: Greta Thunberg

Postby TomTheBum on Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:17 am

i haven't seen a single post here disputing her message per se; no one sane disputes her message. but it's just intellectual dishonesty of highest order not to question it further. that's like level of talk shows where everyone just applauds and cheers like a monkey. because if you follow through what she says what is gonna be then? is it still gonna be mass society based on mass production? maybe production based on use value instead of profit (which would make it sort of marxist)? or is it gonna be return to peasantry? based on her OWN words incremental changes are not enough anymore and the personal choices are secondary, because the problems are largely systematic.
and what about, for example, a society based on green energy with the most extreme class divisions? is that something worth fighting for?
and what about imposing it all? leftists grabbing power in some of the major countries (firstly usa) and then using UN to impose a global regulation?
at this moment we are in the system whose whole raison d'être is rampant consumption and endless growth so you have to get from A to B, but i think most of us just want to be in two places at the same time.
TomTheBum
complete piece of shit
complete piece of shit
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: Asperger Kiddo: Greta Thunberg

Postby El Protoolio on Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:02 am

TomTheBum wrote:i haven't seen a single post here disputing her message per se; no one sane disputes her message. but it's just intellectual dishonesty of highest order not to question it further. that's like level of talk shows where everyone just applauds and cheers like a monkey. because if you follow through what she says what is gonna be then? is it still gonna be mass society based on mass production? maybe production based on use value instead of profit (which would make it sort of marxist)? or is it gonna be return to peasantry? based on her OWN words incremental changes are not enough anymore and the personal choices are secondary, because the problems are largely systematic.
and what about, for example, a society based on green energy with the most extreme class divisions? is that something worth fighting for?
and what about imposing it all? leftists grabbing power in some of the major countries (firstly usa) and then using UN to impose a global regulation?
at this moment we are in the system whose whole raison d'être is rampant consumption and endless growth so you have to get from A to B, but i think most of us just want to be in two places at the same time.


You seem like a lot of fun to be around.
User avatar
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9500
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Your Mom

Re: Asperger Kiddo: Greta Thunberg

Postby Tommy on Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:32 am

Anthony Flack wrote:but would anybody object if the cost of air travel was doubled, and the extra money was used for reforestation?

It wouldn't work if it was only voluntary; the price of tickets needs to go up in order to put downward pressure on the volume of flights.


Fair point. People would definitely object, but it's for the greater good. Seems reasonable to me. Something like 9 out of 10 smokers originally objected to a smoking ban in bars, but most of the smokers I know came around on that after getting used to it, seeing the benefit, and are now actually happy about it. For the most part.
User avatar
Tommy
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6099
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Logan Square, Chicago, IL

Re: Deathmetal Sångare: Greta Thunberg

Postby biscuitdough on Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:42 am

The bigger question is can we get corporations and the military, who are much bigger polluters than individuals, to fly less, stop shipping cross country on trucks entirely, and take other steps to cut down on carbon emissions that are specific to their sphere.
User avatar
biscuitdough
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
 
Posts: 2315
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:28 pm

Re: Asperger Kiddo: Greta Thunberg

Postby TomTheBum on Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:44 am

El Protoolio wrote:You seem like a lot of fun to be around.


i'm trapped in the flat of angles, what can i do about it? but i think i made a reasonable point. i don't really cherish emotionalism, it's really harmful i think. i just said some few things and it ended up as if i attacked jordan peterson on jordan peterson forum. pretty shameful and reiterates the bullshit the right-wingers spew. i see it all the time in real life too, it's really scary and stupid and will lead to real disaster. or has lead already.
TomTheBum
complete piece of shit
complete piece of shit
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:37 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests