Comedian: Gary Gulman

Funny dude!
100%
Not funny dude!
No votes

Total votes : 3

Comedian: Gary Gulman

Postby Dave N. on Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:29 pm

I've been a big fan of Gulman since his special In This Economy came out a few years back. I think that's when he really started coming into his own with the emphasis on language and long meandering set-ups full of subtitles within subtitles. There's nothing really off-the-cuff, but it's all so well-written and endearingly delivered. I was looking forward to whatever was to follow 2016's It's About Time, but it turns out he was having some major issues with depression, and decided he was done with comedy, going so far as to get a day job as a camp counselor. His new one The Great Depresh deals with that time, and it's pretty remarkable.

I had a terrible problem with depression throughout my childhood and up to about age 30, and my manner of dealing with it (or not dealing with it) created problems that still resonate to this day, and I wish I could've seen The Great Depresh back when I was in the thick of it. If I had a dime for every time I heard snap out of it and/or what do you have to be depressed about?. I'm glad stuff like his new special exists, and mental health is something people are actually talking about nowadays.

But yeah...Gary Gulman gets a solid Not Crap from me.
Dave N.
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Re: Comedian: Gary Gulman

Postby Trey on Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:56 pm

You already know my vote. My intro to Gulman was 'No Can Defend.' The new one is great, and it's worth pointing out that it's not just a standup special, it goes behind the scenes into his daily life. It's rough to think that someone so kind hearted and sweet has spent the past few years fighting off suicidal thoughts. Yeah he funny.
I'm like, whatever, it's fucking Houlihan

http://www.thegary.com
Trey
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Me Again on Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:27 pm

Gulman: funny dude. Haven't seen the newest special, but have enjoyed literally every stand-up appearance of his I've seen. I like that he often smiles when he's telling the jokes. There's a funny one where he talks about renting a movie that he already owns a copy of because he feels too lazy and flustered to get up and take the DVD out of the box, fire up the player, and cue it up. That had me rolling.

You might also want to check out Giulia Rozzi, a very funny woman who did a good TED talk on creativity and depression.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby milkmeat on Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:30 pm

Funny.
milkmeat

Return to Crap / Not Crap