21%
Not Crap
79%

Total votes : 14

Re: El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie

Postby Anonymous37 on Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:09 pm

yaledelay wrote:
Anonymous37 wrote:
Me Again wrote:. Spoilers - We are expected to believe the cops are not watching Jessie's parents house? I mean come on.

What? The cops were watching Jesse's parents' house. Jesse drew most of them away with the phone call, then Jesse snuck in a side (or rear?) entrance.

So what you are saying is there was like 2 cops watching the house of a person they suspected to be at the scene of a mass shooting? Come on...

What I am saying is that the statement "the cops are not watching Jessie's parents house" is factually incorrect no matter how you slice it. Before Jesse's parents drive off to where they think he is, there are at least 4 cops (and probably more like 6, assuming 2 to a car) parked in 3 vehicles outside their home.
Then, when they drive off, two of the unmarked police cars follow them. The third car, with two plainclothes officers in it, remains outside Jesse's parents' home. So cops are watching the home both before and after the parents leave.
Anonymous37
hemingway
hemingway

Postby andyman on Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:01 pm

It felt like a bunch of deleted b-scenes from the show.
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby amar on Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:54 pm

andyman wrote:It felt like a bunch of deleted b-scenes from the show.

Worse than deleted b-scenes. If those were deleted scenes, the thought of how Todd gained 50 pounds would not have crossed my mind.
amar
warren spahn
warren spahn

Postby garthplinko on Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:55 pm

it was not crap, but it wasn't exactly great either. It fit the series and it didn't take anything away from what was great.

Felt mostly like a fan service cash grab to me. Took zero chances so lower payoff in the end.
garthplinko
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Bernardo on Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:59 pm

Came in with low expectations and liked it. Closure for the Pinkman story, not more, not less.

What was it going to be about? The decay of Walter White's corpse? The destiny of Skylar and Junior? They did it in a way that was relevant to the series without creating some stupid forced tangent.

Pinkman's life in Alaska, really?
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby amar on Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:11 am

Bernardo wrote:Came in with low expectations and liked it. Closure for the Pinkman story, not more, not less.

What was it going to be about? The decay of Walter White's corpse? The destiny of Skylar and Junior? They did it in a way that was relevant to the series without creating some stupid forced tangent.

Yeah, although location isn’t of importance, rather I’m more interested about how his character is doing now in the present day. Has he at least partially recovered from his association with Walt? There was emotional depth with Jesse’s character to have pulled this kind of story off.
amar
warren spahn
warren spahn

Postby amar on Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:12 am

Bernardo wrote:Came in with low expectations and liked it. Closure for the Pinkman story, not more, not less.

Yeah, although location isn’t of importance, rather I’m more interested about how his character is doing now in the present day. Has he at least partially recovered from his association with Walt? There was emotional depth with Jesse’s character to have pulled this kind of story off.
amar
warren spahn
warren spahn

Postby Dudley on Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:01 am

I thought the actual narrative stuff was fine - impressively dialogue-free!

The thing that made it feel more underwhelming were the flashbacks. particularly with Mike and (most of all) Jane. They were just a reminder of what had gone before, and in the case of what happened with Jane, kinda dwarfs Jesse managing to find Todd's money and buy a new identity. The Jane stuff also throws the Walter White flashbacks off-kilter; they were there for the fans, rather than the character whose girlfriend was murdered by their friend and business partner.
Seby wrote:How does the sting of marginalisation taste now, you pick-using oppressors?
Dudley

Postby cneutron on Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:31 am

I guess we're just letting our freak flag fly with spoilers?

I thought that the Alaska thing at the end was perfect. He's willfully giving up.
"The movie should have started in Alaska."
Really? It should have. The whole point is that he's going to go live a quiet life of no consequence, but he gets to escape... he gets a second chance to live.

That isn't a Breaking Bad movie, that's Northern Exposure with PTSD.

I had no problems with the shoot out, and I think it's right in line with the feel of BB. Especially since Kandy Welding Company had such a huge part and culpability in Jesse's imprisonment in the first place. I always did wonder how the Nazis got their imprisonment setup together so quickly, you gotta wonder with some of those lots where it seems like anything would go.

I loved more time with Todd, who was a genuinely fascinating character. The whole Sharing the Night Together singing thing was great, and his excited miming for the truck driver to honk his horn? Small things like that, perfectly in line with what BB was.

The whole character of the nosy neighbor was awesome as well.

The only thing that seemed a little wedged in was the Walt scene in the diner, which fit the narrative just fine. Walt asks Jesse about future plans and Walt is disgusted by Jesse's answer of sports medicine and immediately pivots to MBA, because, even then that's what Walt gravitates towards. He can't imagine a worthy career that would be in service to others, while that really ends up being Jesse's thing, conscripted or not. It's all setup with that line: “You’re really lucky, you know that? That you didn’t have to wait your whole life to do something special.”

Walt can't think of Jesse as anything else other than a supporting character in his life.
If you think about it terms of story arcs, it's perfect. It sets up that Jesse is there to assist, but he ISN'T the CEO, he isn't the kingpin. That's all Walt. Sure he gets them started, but he's completely small time.

So, because of all that the fact that the movie is about him trying to get away from everything is interesting for me and shows his character as finally plotting a course out for himself, even if there isn't anything SPECIAL about it. (as defined by WW)

It also means at least one of the characters doesn't have a bad (for them) ending. Which I think is absolutely in character for the show, the idea that there has to be some just punishment for people behaving madly is part of this insane elementary school style moralization that is incapable of seeing protaganists as anything other than aspirational figures. I don't think that's happening here, but i've seen a few idiotic takes that include things like that.

It was neither a pointless cash grab, nor was it a defining and necessary story. It was a nice treat for the fans, and a worthwhile epilogue for a beloved character.
cneutron

Postby Dave N. on Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:26 am

I thought the movie was ok. 3 out of 5 stars. I would’ve preferred less of his escape and more of his assimilation in Alaska.
Dave N.
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby jimmy two hands on Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:23 pm

I thought it was great. I think it would be nice to know what Jesse gets into after the end of the movie, but that's really outside the scope of the whole Breaking Bad universe, much like how Better Call Saul is about his life in Albuquerque rather than his life after changing identities.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby atomjackfuser on Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:52 pm

I liked it. The only part I kinda of rolled my eyes at was the Mexican stand-off at the end, even though I do love Leone. It didn't overreach, Todd is a horrible creep, something something DARK SIDE.
atomjackfuser
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby Zorg on Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:49 am

Inoffensive, but I dont think this added anything. Also, I don’t know if being dropped off in Alaska is really much of a cathartic ending for that character. Dude gave no indication he would do well as a mountain man.
Zorg
names vacuums with eyes closed
names vacuums with eyes closed

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap