home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Worst Mastered/Mixed/Produced Album

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Content aside, which of these sounds the worst?

Fugazi - Steady Diet of Nothing
No votes
Husker Du - Warehouse: Songs and Stories
20%
Iggy and the Stooges - Raw Power (original)
17%
Iggy and the Stooges - Raw Power (1997 remix)
3%
Metallica - ...And Justice For All
3%
Metallica - St. Anger
27%
ZZ Top - several LPs (1987 remixes)
27%
they all sound great/I have no hearing
3%

Total votes : 30

Re: Worst Mastered/Mixed/Produced Album

Postby total_douche on Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:32 pm

So Far, So Good, So What!

Anything mixed by Phil Spector. He's literally the pre-80s 80s.
total_douche
names vacuums with eyes closed

Postby mrcancelled on Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:16 pm

tallchris wrote:Yeah, pretty much all the Spot SST stuff

Yep. Spot never seemed to get any better over time either.

I usually can handle a subpar recording for albums I like, but the sound of The Birthday Party's Junkyard really diminishes the album for me.

When I first heard the Scratch Acid EP it took a long time for me to get past the fuckedupness of the recording, though now I guess I've trained my ears to not hear the weirdness because I can no longer distinguish it.
mrcancelled
future member of the green party
future member of the green party

Postby askii on Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:58 pm

My love of Dead Moon knows no bounds, and the recording ethos is obviously part of their whole thing, but the studio albums don't do them justice. To be fair, it's not just the lo-fi-ness, but that the performances always seemed a little uninspired. The audience was really a fourth member. I listen to various official and quasi-bootleg live recordings a lot, but rarely reach for the studio LPs.

total_douche wrote:So Far, So Good, So What!

Oh yeah, this. Although for better or worse, the objectively fucked-up aircraft-hangar recording is of a piece with the the most demented material they ever wrote. The remix just makes it worse, if that's even possible -- turns it into a generic overcompressed modern-sounding metal album.
askii
mime
mime

Postby total_douche on Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:17 pm

They got rid of the gated reverb "douche" sound on the drums but the end result is pretty gutless. Like, if you set up a loud enough sound system in a room, pan like a real drum kit, throw room mics in like there was a drum kit, you can get a fairly convincing room sound. I used to do that with sample drums. They could have at least done that. And I hate how Dave expanded his parts and cut other people's - the beginning of In My Darkest Hour is a prime example.

The verse riff on Set The World Afire is still total fucking ownage though.
total_douche

Postby numberthirty on Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:20 pm

mrcancelled wrote:
tallchris wrote:Yeah, pretty much all the Spot SST stuff

Yep. Spot never seemed to get any better over time either.

I usually can handle a subpar recording for albums I like, but the sound of The Birthday Party's Junkyard really diminishes the album for me.

When I first heard the Scratch Acid EP it took a long time for me to get past the fuckedupness of the recording, though now I guess I've trained my ears to not hear the weirdness because I can no longer distinguish it.

Credit where it's due, he did a bang up job on Milo Goes To College.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby kaleb on Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:33 pm

"This is possibly the worst mix in the annuals of rock music.Must have stuffed some pillows in the monitors.Buried in the muffle are some pretty good songs.Turn it up."
- somebody on rateyourmusic.com reviewing Daisychain Reaction by Poster Children.
kaleb
boris spassky
boris spassky

Postby Bernardo on Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:53 pm

I've come to not mind the Spot sound at all. Hist stuff sounds simple and direct, with no extraneous bullshit. It's never a particularly good sound for any particular element (like "whoa, listen to those drums"), but also never a bad balance, from what I remember. A whole lot of 80's independent rock has terrible balances and weird hollow mixes.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby oZZma on Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:13 am

I can't see Nevermind in the list :mrgreen:
vade retro Santana
oZZma
galloping gourmet
galloping gourmet

Postby A Landing Craft on Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:17 pm

Bernardo wrote:I've come to not mind the Spot sound at all. Hist stuff sounds simple and direct, with no extraneous bullshit. It's never a particularly good sound for any particular element (like "whoa, listen to those drums"), but also never a bad balance, from what I remember. A whole lot of 80's independent rock has terrible balances and weird hollow mixes.

He did a great job with Saccharine Trust's Surviving You Always, and for someone who apparently had an allergy to low frequencies, his production on the first Saint Vitus LP is really cool.

I've said it elsewhere but I'm sure he was just following orders, especially on the stuff he recorded for Black Flag and Husker Du. All of their post-Spot recordings sound wonky and just 'odd'. Listen to "The Process Of Weeding Out" or "Warehouse: Songs and Stories" (plus the Ginn jam sessions from the 90s onwards if you dare) and tell me that they sound better.
A Landing Craft
joseph cornell
joseph cornell

Postby total_douche on Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:39 pm

Fair point. In the Du's case, it definitely got progressively worse as time went on. The drums on Metal Circus are a little dry, but otherwise sound pretty good. By Warehouse, they're in full "buttcheek" drum territory (exposition: say "buttcheek" without the syllables, and you're pretty close to that tinny 80s drum sound). The guitars usually sounded consistently good, though - mind, it could be argued that a big part of this is just that Japanese PAF-style humbuckers sound really fucking good.

Also, this is definitely where things that should have been left on the cutting room floor (like "No Promise Have I Made" and "Turn It Around") started making it to the album... maybe it's an ego thing, maybe it's a drug thing, but it's probably a combination of the two.
total_douche

Postby enframed on Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:52 pm

Black Sabbath's Never Say Die! is pretty fucking bad.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby jakethesnake on Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:58 pm

Me 3 on not understanding the criticism against Spot; I think the records he produced/engineered sounds better than most of everything else in the same 79-85 era. Even the much criticized production for "New day rising", I don't get it; that record has *character* and in a way that feels totally consistent with Husker Dus aesthetic regardless of how much *they* claim to have hated it-"Flip your wig" sounds more artificial to me and don't even get me started on the last two. The late Black Flag stuff he produced is sort of problematic but I suspect his production is the least problem there; Ginn is most likely the main offender. Meat Puppets sounded great until he stopped producing them, same with Saccharine Trust
jakethesnake
crate
crate

Postby total_douche on Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:13 pm

For me, it's mostly the drums, everything else sounds great. The guitars always sounded monstrous, just fucking huge. And the way they usually mixed in Greg's bass, with lots of mids and treble, really helped it cut through the guitars so he could have his space, too. But Grant Hart was a seriously energetic heavy hitter, and it never really comes across on the recordings like it does in some live recordings, which is a damn shame.
total_douche

Postby A Landing Craft on Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:05 pm

jakethesnake wrote:Me 3 on not understanding the criticism against Spot; I think the records he produced/engineered sounds better than most of everything else in the same 79-85 era. Even the much criticized production for "New day rising", I don't get it; that record has *character* and in a way that feels totally consistent with Husker Dus aesthetic regardless of how much *they* claim to have hated it-"Flip your wig" sounds more artificial to me and don't even get me started on the last two.

I never got into "Flip Your Wig" and the production is why. "Zen Arcade" sounds much better and that was recorded in one speed-snorting 40 hour block. Bob not using earplugs is the reason that the last three albums sound horrible.
A Landing Craft
joseph cornell
joseph cornell

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:03 pm

tallchris wrote:
154 wrote:The ZZ Top remix thing is unforgivable and worse, they never undid those versions. I'm sure you could go buy one of those CDs at WalMart right now..

The original mixes are on Spotify now! Not sure if it's under the original albums, or just as part of a box set, but they're definitely available! I think I read that it's all safety masters, so not 1st generation. Same with any recent vinyl repressings.

[url+https://www.discogs.com/ZZ-Top-The-Complete-Studio-Albums-1970-1990/release/4651510]This set[/url], has all of the original versions of the ZZ Top albums, and it's $25. Well worth it!

This would be my pick - The Fall, Reformation Post-TLC. Granted, this is the record that was recorded like, 3 weeks after the band quit mid-tour with a band of ringers. Much love for this record, but come on...
Jazz Titan/Ruthie Cohen

KJ/HM/MH/DB

"I'm not in the Kiss Army. But I am in the reserves, and could be called up at any time." - Warmowski
four_oclocker_2
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap