Watchmen TV Show?

Crap
No votes
Not Crap
100%

Total votes : 14

Re: Watchmen (TV Series)

Postby El Protoolio on Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:44 am

Have you guys read the supplemental material? Peteypedia?

https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby GrantMcNeilly on Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:05 am

El Protoolio wrote:Have you guys read the supplemental material? Peteypedia?

This is really helpful. I get the feeling that after Veidt's Millennium attempt turned out to be a disaster Manhattan probably left versions of himself to contain Veidt, who just conducts these failed experiments over and over, and meanwhile keeps other things in check.

I'm wondering about the whole funeral thing. I think clearly Keene set up the 7K attack, but I'm wondering if he invited Laurie to shoot the bomber or if she screwed up his plans by doing that. In any case, I wonder if Laurie has been set up in some way.

Also, WOW is Jean Smart perfect for this role or what? She's exactly like I pictured her being in the comic.
TheMilford wrote: We're talking about TV here, not a Slint record or Albert Camus....
GrantMcNeilly
ella fitzgerald
ella fitzgerald

Postby jimmy two hands on Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:32 am

Goddammit I don't want to read cliffnotes (as I click on the link and begin to read cliffnotes)
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby GrantMcNeilly on Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:01 pm

jimmy two hands wrote:

Goddammit I don't want to read cliffnotes (as I click on the link and begin to read cliffnotes)

They're not cliffnotes! They're a lot like the supplemental material from the comics. The Petey addenda are pretty hilarious, given the uproar around the show so far... and the letter they posted this week about the Catlin painting was pretty great.
TheMilford wrote: We're talking about TV here, not a Slint record or Albert Camus....
GrantMcNeilly
ella fitzgerald
ella fitzgerald

Postby Nate Dort on Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:22 pm

jimmy two hands wrote:Also it's a Desmond Dekker album (sorry).

Megaton Dub 2 was sitting on the desk next to the record player.

Nate Dort
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby El Protoolio on Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:11 am

It’s neat they are doing that. I might have to watch the Watchmen.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby jimmy two hands on Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:19 pm

GrantMcNeilly wrote:
jimmy two hands wrote:

They're not cliffnotes! They're a lot like the supplemental material from the comics. The Petey addenda are pretty hilarious, given the uproar around the show so far... and the letter they posted this week about the Catlin painting was pretty great.

Uff da, they have Laurie changing her name to Blake and reemerging as the Comedienne after her dad, and apparently Lindelof decided this based on the line at the very end of the comic that she was considering getting a gun.

Anyway I'm not bothering with comparing it to the comic anymore and just enjoying the show as what it is and finding things like Laurie keeping a massive blue dildo as a Doc Manhattan stand-in as super funny instead of really dumb and out of place.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands

Postby numberthirty on Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:40 am

Credit where it's due...

The show's "Batman" being as "Midnighter" as he was?

That was good for a laugh.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty

Postby Nate Dort on Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:41 am

After watching E4 last night, I think my theory now is that Veidt is being held prisoner by Lady Trieu in a false reality, maybe on the Moon? She's able to create babies. She has the means to create artificial environments. She knows what he looks like as an old man (the statue).
It's obvious now that Veidt is trying to escape (the catapult, the failed suit he sent out into "the great beyond"). He also said that he did not create the clones ("I am your master, but I am not your maker"), but apparently he knows how to grow them.

Lady Trieu is this series' Veidt. She's working with Will to plan something that will rescue the world from d̶o̶o̶m̶s̶d̶a̶y̶ racism.

Is Will actually Hooded Justice? Timeline would make sense. He would have been in the NYPD with Hollis Mason in the 40s.

I'm calling it now: "Lube Man" is Petey.
Nate Dort

Postby GrantMcNeilly on Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:23 am

I'm really liked the meeting between Lady Trieu and Will last night, and the kind of parallel between the destruction in Vietnam and Black Wall Street.

Also I'm not sure if Lube man is petey but it's hilarious if it is.
GrantMcNeilly
ella fitzgerald
ella fitzgerald

Postby DrAwkward on Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:33 pm

Nate Dort wrote:
Is Will actually Hooded Justice? Timeline would make sense. He would have been in the NYPD with Hollis Mason in the 40s.

!!!

His preferred method of execution would support this...
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Nate Dort on Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:52 pm

His preferred clothing color scheme also supports this.
Nate Dort

Postby the finger genius on Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:49 am

Boombats wrote:Meal Young and Gravy Horse

I play drums in Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death

I play everything in Grass Jaw
the finger genius
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby VaticanShotglass on Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:52 am

I like how wacky the show gets.
VaticanShotglass
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby El Protoolio on Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:05 am

the finger genius wrote:Image

Nice King Missile reference there, for “Detachable Penis”.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby jimmy two hands on Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:22 pm

Nate Dort wrote:After watching E4 last night, I think my theory now is that Veidt is being held prisoner by Lady Trieu in a false reality, maybe on the Moon? She's able to create babies. She has the means to create artificial environments. She knows what he looks like as an old man (the statue).
It's obvious now that Veidt is trying to escape (the catapult, the failed suit he sent out into "the great beyond"). He also said that he did not create the clones ("I am your master, but I am not your maker"), but apparently he knows how to grow them.

I was assuming it was Dr. Manhattan holding him there for some reason or another but this is making more sense - he wouldn't be able to catapult himself off Mars, assuming that's where he's keeping him. Also Dr. M doesn't really give a shit and I don't see why he'd start giving a shit again.

jimmy two hands

Postby Nate Dort on Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:42 pm

So Veidt is being held on Europa? Seems more likely that it's Dr. Manhattan holding him then, especially after that exchange with the game warden.

I had no idea that Nostalgia was able to harness memories. Was that covered in the comic?
EDIT: No, this appears to be a Trieu creation, but with the same branding as Veidt's cosmetic line:

Also, for a world that scrapped all Manhattan based technology due to the cancer scare, there seems to be some pretty advanced tech.
Last edited by Nate Dort on Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nate Dort

Postby DrAwkward on Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:26 am

Me: "That's pretty wild that Veidt is being held in orbit around Jupiter."

Dixie, who has not read the comics but is in love with Laurie Blake and went down a Wiki rabbit hole about her: "Isn't Jupiter Laurie's last name or something?"

Me: "!!!"
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby cneutron on Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:35 am

DrAwkward wrote:
Nate Dort wrote:

!!!

His preferred method of execution would support this...

OH! damn.
DAMN.

That would be amazing. But they've hinted pretty strongly that it's Rolf Müller. The Circus strongman, remember?

Then again it would explain the: "In three days, she'll know what I have done, and she'll hate me for it." line.

ok! LAST EPISODE:
There is also the superhero dude on super hero dude sex scene from the most recent episode. Good article on that: here
Obviously that is a stylization and... homage? hahah, who knows? But definitely a white dude.

I LOVE the background stuff on Looking Glass. Giant squid and the "fear wave" is canon in this version and I am here for it. I'm fascinated by the Tim Blake Nelson character and was psyched that they went this way with it. Huge reveal with the Veidt message to President Redford (!). Makes the 7th cavalry something beyond the racist followers of Rorsharch, big time.

It also means the government is, at bare minimum, complicit in a hoax to keep the inter dimensional invaders story going. Fascinating stuff!

Really, really great episodes. Made all the better than it barely covered any of the rest of the principal characters.

Oh, and Veidt is definitely in space. Looks like Europa. The Game Warden is almost assuredly a creation of Dr. Manhattan as is the clone baby pool.

Gotta love the "stacking the bodies so a message could be read by the satellite" thing. Such a classic Ozymandias move!

Really interested in seeing how Trieu, Veidt and Will all fit together.
cneutron
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby jimmy two hands on Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:38 pm

I don't buy Viedt recording a video about the squid hoax for the president to see - he brings a whole creative team to an island to set up this hoax and then murders every single one of them to keep the thing secret so that the only people who know are a couple other vigilante costume people, and then he makes an easily leakable record of the whole thing? I can buy that he would tell the president in confidence and then somehow this would be captured in a recording and leaked by someone else, or that he might do something like this in his current state after getting back from the little world he's trapped in that seems to be driving him insane, but to make a recording the day before the event and then send it to someone else? Nonsensical.

Anyway I'm enjoying the show ok.

jimmy two hands

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap