Watchmen TV Show?

Crap
6%
Not Crap
94%

Total votes : 17

Re: Watchmen (TV Series)

Postby the finger genius on Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:54 am

GrantMcNeilly wrote:The show exploded the squid for me this week.

FYP
cjh wrote:Half Man, Half Brioche?

I play drums in Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death

I play everything in Grass Jaw
the finger genius
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby Nate Dort on Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:33 pm

Don't skip the post credits scene on E8.

I noticed that Veidt is reading Fogdancing. That's the same book that the Clark lady was reading before Lady Trieu came to visit them and buy their land. Kinda strange for Veidt to be reading it, considering he killed the author.
Nate Dort
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Nate Dort on Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:23 am

Some speculation on my part:

The egg symbolism was all over E8. Doc M makes one at the table in Vietnam with Angela. He mentions the chicken/egg paradox while he's walking on the pool. Angela throws the egg carton to the ground in the kitchen.
Doc M is going to make another egg, put his powers in it, and Angela is going to eat it. He explained how that's possible at the table in Vietnam. She'll become Doc M.
E8 is basically him showing her how to use his powers. He tells her that she needs to see him walking on water, for later. He makes a pit-stop in the kitchen to make some stuff float, and she sees that. He blows up some heads.
Nate Dort

Postby cneutron on Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:11 pm

Nate Dort wrote:Some speculation on my part:

The egg symbolism was all over E8. Doc M makes one at the table in Vietnam with Angela. He mentions the chicken/egg paradox while he's walking on the pool. Angela throws the egg carton to the ground in the kitchen.
Doc M is going to make another egg, put his powers in it, and Angela is going to eat it. He explained how that's possible at the table in Vietnam. She'll become Doc M.
E8 is basically him showing her how to use his powers. He tells her that she needs to see him walking on water, for later. He makes a pit-stop in the kitchen to make some stuff float, and she sees that. He blows up some heads.

Yeah man, I think you nailed this.
cneutron
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby the finger genius on Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:57 pm

I was thinking the same thing, except I think maybe the egg / seed is already in her - they showed Jon and Angela fucking a lot. He also said something about how he wouldn't give someone his powers without their consent when she asked if their kids would be half god, so I'm wondering how that plays out (or if it was already covered and I missed it.)
cjh wrote:Half Man, Half Brioche?

I play drums in Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death

I play everything in Grass Jaw
the finger genius
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby thegrandtour on Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:24 pm

This show is wonderful.
"I'm a Hawaiian shirt guy, I've made that life decision." -Chris O'Dowd
thegrandtour
cannon fodder
cannon fodder

Postby Nate Dort on Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:07 pm

Nate Dort wrote:I'm calling it now: "Lube Man" is Petey.

One of the peteypedia docs about Fogdancing from this week seem to confirm my theory.

...wearing his gas mask and skin-tight silver suit shimmering with SPF-666...

...they all coat themselves in SPF-666 gel...

The other memo also hints at something happening after the attack at Angela's house:

The morning after the calamity in Greenwood, the dust has settled but our nerves have not. Martial law remains in effect throughout the city as Haz-Mat teams continue to collect the remains of Unidentified Subjects #1 and #2 (the conspicuous absence of REDACTED and REDACTED give us an indication as to the identities of the remains, but given their condition, DNA testing will be required) while the other corpses are intact and once removed from the wreckage, should be more readily identified. One of them may be Agent Blake.

Wreckage of what? Absence of what?
Nate Dort

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:44 pm

I’m probably going to finish the next couple of episodes and everything but I’m checking out now.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Lesser Snake “Bali Gold”
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby blackmarket on Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:39 am

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:I’m probably going to finish the next couple of episodes and everything but I’m checking out now.

Yeah, me too. Ep 6 was amazing television, but 8...WTF was that? Lindelof can come up with some interesting ideas now and then, but he never sticks the landing.
blackmarket
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby cneutron on Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:46 pm

That ruled.
cneutron
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby jimmy two hands on Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:08 am

Didn't care for it at all.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby GrantMcNeilly on Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:09 pm

Ending was solid, although a cop out when compared to the graphic novel, which had a clear message, while the tv show simply made both trieu and cyclops the bad guys and killed them both. The whole romantic dr manhattan ending was a bit corny but they made up for it with the hilarious way Veidt got taken in (I really loved that, but I will acknowledge that comic book Veidt would never allowed himself to get snuck up on like that, Rorschach tried that if I recall) and the last few scenes with Angela about to walk on water.

I don't think there should be a sequel, but there's enough there that there potentially could be, which I think is kind of amazing. I've never thought of Watchmen as a potential superhero "universe" a la Batman and stuff, but the show really made me see the potential for it, which I think is really neat.

That said, if they made another one it would be a bit pointless, already the storyline here was toothless compared to the activist stance of the comic and i'm not sure they could keep that up for more than one season.
TheMilford wrote: We're talking about TV here, not a Slint record or Albert Camus....
GrantMcNeilly
phil ivey
phil ivey

Postby blackmarket on Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:20 am

The series finale felt clunky and a bit generic in how the show ultimately resolves. 2/5 overall for the show.
blackmarket
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby Nate Dort on Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:55 pm

They tried to cram too much into that last episode, and left a lot unresolved. It felt rushed.

Still, I really enjoyed the series overall.
Nate Dort

Postby dipsophonic on Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:18 pm

Nate Dort wrote:They tried to cram too much into that last episode, and left a lot unresolved. It felt rushed.

Still, I really enjoyed the series overall.

Agree big time on that front.

I felt like they managing the build ups and reveals really well, and then bllaaaaaah.

This seems to happen with a lot of promising shows for me.
Feeling like things could have wrapped so much better with just one extra episode of time.

Also, still very much enjoyed it.
dipsophonic
adjutant
adjutant

Postby garthplinko on Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:04 am

Finally got around to watching this. I resisted at first just because of how unbelievably terrible every single other Alan Moore translation to film has been.

I thought it was good. I'm not going to mask spoilers since we're at the end of this thread and if you're reading the last pages of a thread after the series is over, that's kinda on you.

My biggest quibble is mostly how much the Veidt character was completely wrong. I mean just COMPLETELY missed the mark. I also sorta wish he would have just remained a gold statue.

I feel like I caught most of the references, themes, alliterations, and understood everything that transpired and never felt lost (but I'm sure just like the book, if I re-watch I'll catch more and more) - but the one I missed was why there was an elephant hooked up to Angela? Any theories on that?
garthplinko
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby jonsolomon on Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:51 pm

"A Public Service Announcement from the heroic cast of Watchmen."

https://twitter.com/EWDocJensen/status/ ... 2951963659
jonsolomon
doyle brunson
doyle brunson

Postby jimmy two hands on Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:01 pm

garthplinko wrote:why there was an elephant hooked up to Angela? Any theories on that?

My theory is it's just another random thing thrown in to make stuff more mysterious and wasn't meant to be resolved because that's what Lindelof does. Similar to "Lube Man", and at least half of the intriguing mysteries from Lost.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands

Postby enframed on Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:09 pm

Love this show. I also really love that nostalgia plays a big role, as both a feeling/emotion (which can effect us like drugs) and an actual drug. Watching the final episode tonight. It's on Hulu for the time being for anyone curious who does not have HBO.

garthplinko wrote: why there was an elephant hooked up to Angela? Any theories on that?

Nostalgia, dude. "Elephants never forget." The writers are old enough to remember this phrase.

Angela was hooked up to the elephant while she was on Nostalgia, ODing, or coming off it, whatever. Were her memories being passed to the elephant for future harvesting? Do they make the drug Nostalgia with the assistance of elephants?
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap