Postby oZZma on Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:19 am

FIGHT! :mrgreen:
vade retro Santana
oZZma
chapman stick
chapman stick

Re: Label dome: Southern Lord VS Hydra Head

Postby Sprague Dawley on Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:28 am

well balanced choice there Ozma. Both labels with about 400 releases. Turns out I have about 15 albums by each.

/10

SL

8 Sleep
8 Earth
7 High On Fire
7 WarHorse
7 Sunn O)))
5 Pelican
9 Goatsnake
9 Unsane (although obviously not really a SL band)

HH

8 The Austerity Program
7 Coalesce
8 Isis
8 Cave In
10 Harvey Milk
9 Torche
9 Cavity
6 Drowningman
7 Goatsnake / Burning Witch
10 Neurosis

HH wins 82-60
Sprague Dawley
casio
casio

Postby El Protoolio on Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:24 am

This thread should be in Crap/Not Crap not General Discussion.

But anyway, I have a personal connection to HydraHead so this isn’t a fair Thunderdome for me. A friend owns and runs it. Another friend used to co-run it. A lot of my favorite records are on it. Also my old band’s records came out on Tortuga Recordings which was, until few years ago, an imprint of HH run by the previously mentioned second friend. There’s just a lot of good people and good bands associated with that label.

HYDRAHEAD
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby oZZma on Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:32 am

El Protoolio wrote:This thread should be in Crap/Not Crap not General Discussion.

oooops :oops:
I report the thread so it can be moved to the right section...
vade retro Santana
oZZma
chapman stick
chapman stick

Postby AdamN on Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:16 am

Pelican has releases on both labels...so they get to drag down both in your minds.
AdamN
godot
godot

Postby oZZma on Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:17 am

El Protoolio wrote:This thread should be in Crap/Not Crap not General Discussion.

But anyway, I have a personal connection to HydraHead so this isn’t a fair Thunderdome for me. A friend owns and runs it. Another friend used to co-run it. A lot of my favorite records are on it. Also my old band’s records came out on Tortuga Recordings which was, until few years ago, an imprint of HH run by the previously mentioned second friend. There’s just a lot of good people and good bands associated with that label.

HYDRAHEAD

Anyways now I'm curious: what's your old band name? :)
vade retro Santana
oZZma
chapman stick
chapman stick

Postby jbar on Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:52 pm

I mostly know what I'm getting with SL, which is good in the sense that I know I can grab pretty much anything in their catalog and at least dig it. The label has a somewhat cohesive aesthetic, and the goofiest band I can think of is Loincloth.

HH has released some seriously wacky stuff that is always fun but sometimes not great. I think their bands smile more often, likes to play around, and do stupid shit like come up with idiot merch packages like a coffee mug/shirt combo.

Can you imagine buying one of those atrocious Harvey Milk shirts from SL?

HH was the last home of Harvey Milk and I bought a coffee cup from them. HH, but I have more releases from SL.
jbar
chapman stick
chapman stick

Postby Justin Foley on Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:36 pm

Easy.

Hydra Head.

= Justin
Justin Foley
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby askii on Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:41 pm

Good one. I was tempted to make this very poll myself in light of the various Labeldomes in C/NC. This one is way tougher for me than T&G vs. AmRep vs. Skin Graft.

If HHR had released more of the core catalog of Isis, Converge and Coalesce, they'd win in a walk.

Of the bands they share, SL has the better and/or more substantial output from Burning Witch, Khanate, Sunn O))), and Boris. (I feel like there's more overlap that I'm forgetting?) They also have Earth, Wolves in the Throne Room, Eagle Twin, The Hidden Hand, and Lurker of Chalice.

Still, HHR's ethos has been more life-changing for me, especially in the late '90s / early '00s. Isis, Botch, Converge, Coalesce, Old Man Gloom, Discordance Axis...all those bands played a huge role in getting me back into metal(ish) by incorporating elements of the T&G / Dischord type stuff that had preoccupied me during the latter half of the '90s. And from then until their demise, they released the first Jesu LP, the Helms Alee stuff up through Weatherhead, the Harkonen / These Arms Are Snakes split, the last two Oxbow albums, Big Biz, The Austerity Program...

Hydra Head. The Sovereign EP alone would probably tip it in their favor.

MAXIMUM VOLUME YIELDS MAXIMUM RESULTS is a way better motto than Thinking Man's Metal, though, no waffles.
askii
julie from mod squad
julie from mod squad

Postby El Protoolio on Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:53 pm

Old Man Gloom has turned out to be one of my favorite all time bands. I just adore them. I agree HH's aesthetic is goofier and far less serious than SL. Aaron Turner and the people he surrounds himself with are gigantic goofballs. Old Man Gloom is a goof. I could tell some stories about ISIS staying at my house pulling bongs 20 years ago, or being backstage at their Metro show with Tortoise, or the Thanksgiving feast we had, or the shenanigans that occurred when they toured with Tool... But what happens in Chicago stays in Chicago. Point is, the label people have a great sense of humor and it shows. Also their roster is as much noise rock as it is metal, which is part of the attraction for me

oZZma wrote:

HYDRAHEAD

In my signature below click on "the gersch". It's a band I had with Cliff Meyer before he was in ISIS that we started when we were still in college. We also played the PRFBBQ in 2013. We were goofballs too.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby oZZma on Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:55 am

El Protoolio wrote:Old Man Gloom has turned out to be one of my favorite all time bands. I just adore them. I agree HH's aesthetic is goofier and far less serious than SL. Aaron Turner and the people he surrounds himself with are gigantic goofballs. Old Man Gloom is a goof. I could tell some stories about ISIS staying at my house pulling bongs 20 years ago, or being backstage at their Metro show with Tortoise, or the Thanksgiving feast we had, or the shenanigans that occurred when they toured with Tool... But what happens in Chicago stays in Chicago. Point is, the label people have a great sense of humor and it shows. Also their roster is as much noise rock as it is metal, which is part of the attraction for me

oZZma wrote:

HYDRAHEAD

In my signature below click on "the gersch". It's a band I had with Cliff Meyer before he was in ISIS that we started when we were still in college. We also played the PRFBBQ in 2013. We were goofballs too.

I'm listening right now... Really good, heavy stuff :smt007 :o :!:
My compliments :)
vade retro Santana
oZZma
chapman stick
chapman stick

Postby numberthirty on Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:58 am

Hydra Head has...

- Stephen Brodsky's Octave Museum
- The Black Ribbon Award
- Clouds

It barely needs much past just that to wind up coming out on top of this one.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby andyman on Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:03 pm

I feel like Southern Lord is mainly black metal with a dose of upside-down burning churches, but HH does metal with broader tastes; The Austerity Program and Harvey Milk are two of my favourite bands, and blew my mind when I first heard them.

I'm going to abstain though, because I haven't listened to enough of either to make a fair call.
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby mrcancelled on Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:23 pm

I don't own a ton of SL stuff, but I'm a bigger fan of more of the HH bands--Oxbow, Helms Alee, Big Business, Austerity Program, and (most importantly, for me) Harvey Milk.
mrcancelled
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby JayJay-H on Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:44 am

Both excellent labels although I voted Hydra-Head.

Isis were my favourite band in the early 2000s and Aaron Turner has brought out great albums since the band split.

I also own and enjoy albums by Torche, Botch, Old Man Gloom, Jesu, Split Cranium, Circle...
JayJay-H

Return to Crap / Not Crap