No votes
shark weak
50%
the canadian version is better
No votes

Total votes : 4

shark tank

Postby seanurban on Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:33 pm

since this is the only thing on cnbc anymore, i have been watching it every day and i know you've seen it too. i love watching kevin crush dreams. last night i thought he was going to cause a divorce right there on the set.

ashton kutcher called him out on it when he guested, but then he didn't make an offer either. #niceguy.
i've learned more about capitalism from this show than any book or newspaper.
"hey you, come up here and make us richer." not a bad gig if you can get it. i'd love to know how many of their deals just tanked.
Last edited by seanurban on Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
seanurban
King High

Re: shark tank

Postby tmidgett on Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:21 pm

I despise the show, though it's certainly a trenchant critique of capitalism, in spite of not wanting to be that at all.

In keeping with being emblematic of venture capitalism in particular, it is largely bullshit. The deals often go nowhere.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Me Again on Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:29 pm

Lori is pretty fine. On balance, that's about the only positive thing I could say about this show. I know mainstream television is low-hanging fruit, but Shark Tank is truly a regrettable audio-visual "experience." Somehow I got roped into watching a few episodes after dinner with my family, years ago, and looking back on it, this represents some kind of rock-bottom low-point in my history of looking at gleaming rectangles. It's not hard to imagine any sensible person watching it at night and thinking, "What the fuck am I doing with my life?" afterwards.

The show has this unavoidable component of schadenfreude/watching "normal" people's dreams being crushed before a live studio audience, but with the added flavor of the super rich shooting the would-be entrepreneurs' hopes dead with quips and the occasional insult. That cranky bald-headed white rich guy is the kind of person every guy or gal secretly hopes doesn't turn out to be their new father-in-law or boss. Then of course there's the elephant in the room of how icky it feels to watch something so unapologetically capitalist, a show that screams "money talks, and bullshit walks" as if the average viewer hasn't been inundated with this shit their whole damn life.

Shark Tank should be called Bag of Crap.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby seanurban on Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:25 pm

Me Again wrote: a live studio audience
? maybe you were blinded by lori's beauty.
seanurban
King High

Postby Me Again on Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:42 pm

Oh, well if no one else is in the studio but those on camera and the crew, etc., I stand corrected. But it _feels_ like one of those shows (e.g. American Idol) wherein a contestant's "fate" is being decided in front of many others. And during it all, that bald-headed white guy who looks like a Jeff Dunham puppet doesn't shy away from kicking people when they're down.

This doesn't leave a good taste in one's mouth.
Me Again
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby seanurban on Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:24 pm

He's so evil. "YOUR MARGINS SUCK!"
And his wife ran over a guy with their yacht. Not a good time for him.
Last edited by seanurban on Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seanurban
King High

Postby Me Again on Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:53 pm

I get that massive jerks draw crowds/drive ratings/etc., but hell if I'm buying into that. Have already seen enough. Hard pass.
Me Again
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby seanurban on Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:03 pm

Yeah all the other sharks will try to encourage you with kindness before they back out. He just wants your business to die. That's his motto, "You're dead to me."
Probably not going to use that line anymore.
seanurban
King High

Postby the_joe_lemur on Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:02 am

Kevin O'Leary is literally the Canadian Donald Trump.
The FM formerly known as lemur68

sulfur)addict wrote:Jordan Peterson is the Limp Bizkit of educated thought.
the_joe_lemur
mime
mime

Postby Me Again on Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:18 am

Killing someone with your yacht. If that's not some serious one-percenter, Wolf of Wall Street, Ballardian-style Scrooge McDuck shit, then tell me what is.
Me Again
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby tmidgett on Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:17 am

The show is about a system that presents us with but a few paths in life:

1. Homelessness
2. Crime and prison
3. Wage slavery
4. Creation of something that makes you enough money that you don't have to work quite as much or can stop altogether

#4 requires an incredible amount of luck. To even be in a position where it is remotely possible to accomplish that.

An unbelievable amount of luck. No way our pea brains can comprehend all the lucky shit that has to happen to get us into that position.

Everyone on the show is either trying to a) break into that system in a way that doesn't mean notable hardship for them or b) justify their position with that system.

The assholes on the panel are utterly, blissfully unaware of how hard they won the lottery. They think they made it to The Top based on their biz acumen, sharp elbows, and good ole fashioned hard work. Just a little help from asshole mentors along the way.

Deep down maybe they know they fell into it.

Which is why they're such condescending pricks to the people who come before them, just trying to get a leg up.

They treat the contestants like shit reflexively, to separate themselves from them. To forget what an accident it is that they're not the ones competing on the show. Or working at a job they hate because they need the insurance. Or stealing or in prison. Or living under a bridge somewhere.

The farming of human misery and desperation for entertainment. Less honest than COPS, just as terrible.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby joelb on Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:30 pm

Some of the interactions seem genuine, some staged beyond belief. I suppose there are more people than I realize going through life in hopes of hitting it big and becoming content, and reinforcing that hope is not great. I watch it as a lark and do not feel dirty after doing so, however. Don't know enough about any of the folks on the show to comment on them personally.

AND

I may have mentioned this before, but a mentor of mine, a successful "up-from-his-bootstraps" type told me something simple about these types of folks. He's around people, mostly men, all the time who talk about how successful they are and how hard they worked for their success. He responds "everybody works hard." the end.
DrAwkward wrote:If SKID ROW likes them enough to take them on tour, they must have something going on, right?
joelb
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby curry pervert on Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:49 pm

The one redeeming quality IMO is the occasional idea that seems really inspired, ordinary people thinking outside of the box and coming up with an ingenious solution for something.

As far as the panel goes, I like Kevin from an 'at least you know where you stand' perspective. Does exactly what he says on the tin, whereas I could see some of the others leading people up the garden path to drop them like a stone.

The most despicable in my eyes is that silicon valley 'I was an early adopter of Uber' slimeball, can't remember his name. Is it Chris? Makes my skin crawl.
curry pervert
star
star

Postby enframed on Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:03 pm

This is one of the most depressing threads on this forum. Crap.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby seanurban on Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:11 am

Yes you're thinking of Chris.
I am with you. Kevin comes off worse but They're all "sharks". They're not in it for charity. Entertainment comes second to profit.
enframed wrote:This is one of the most depressing threads on this forum. Crap.
just wait until it really takes off. We haven't even scratched the surface.
everybody works hard.

That's what Andrew yang wants us to think. But some of us are obv lazier than others (u fat bastard).
Even el chapo works hard. Instead I'd ask "what is the value of your work?"
seanurban
King High

Postby joelb on Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:30 pm

seanurban wrote:"what is the value of your work?"

Well that is certainly not up to me to decide for everyone. One effective way to support people in improving their lives is simply to give them money.

I believe most people will work if the option to do so with dignity is available, and should be able to make enough to live with dignity if so. A much smaller number will choose not to work, and any society should be able to accommodate that without vilifying the people who make this choice. Crazy talk, I know.

Whether with VC or social support programs, people love to talk about outliers and avoid talking about averages.
DrAwkward wrote:If SKID ROW likes them enough to take them on tour, they must have something going on, right?
joelb
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby Me Again on Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:19 pm

FM Enframed might be right. Maybe this show should be passed over in silence. I have that attitude toward a lot of dubious things. However no one usually brings such crap to my attention, as if it's worth engaging with. And something as bad as Jersey Shore, for example, doesn't have this fake aura of legitimacy that makes shows like Shark Tank doubly irritating.
Me Again
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

cup board pro

Postby seanurban on Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:28 pm

spoiler: They get a deal.

every once in a while they do the right thing.
seanurban
King High

Return to Crap / Not Crap