Do you like it?

Of Course, are you nuts?!?
98%
No, I'm tired of lying to the world!
3%

Total votes : 40

Pizza. Yes, just Pizza.

Postby m3kcomp on Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:55 pm

Apologies if this specific topic already exists...I did some searching but I think I'm stepping out on a limb here with this one:

I had a middle-aged epiphany last night: I don't like pizza. At all.

I eat it now once a month with my nephews when we watch a WWE pay per view. Last night, I think I ate my last slice. You can argue all you want...I've had "amazing" pizza (I live in NYC) and I've had bad pizza...and I realize now that I just don't fucking like it. Period.

I'm interested if there's anyone else who has come to this conclusion. There HAS to be, right? Right?!?

It's the food that unites everyone, but the thought of eating it ever again turns my stomach! It's like I should hang my head in shame but instead I finally feel free!
m3kcomp
doc severin
doc severin

Re: Pizza. Yes, just Pizza.

Postby RSMurphy on Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:20 pm

Your problem is you've been eating NYC pizza.
WHALES CHICAGO USA THE MUSIC OF SOUND BANDACMP EP NOISEPOP

LTD. EDITION VINYL COPIES OF SIZE AND SCALE

Trey wrote:I think Randy is great.

Surfrider wrote:Come on Randy! You can do it!!
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby curry pervert on Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:57 pm

I find this odd.

Pizza is like a sandwich - bread with filling (topping) of your choice. If you don't like it then maybe you need to work on your choices.
curry pervert
star
star

Postby m3kcomp on Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:12 am

curry pervert wrote:I find this odd.

Pizza is like a sandwich - bread with filling (topping) of your choice. If you don't like it then maybe you need to work on your choices.

I feel like "Pizza" proper has three elements: bread(?), sauce and cheese.

Those elements are better handled in other forms...not presented as Pizza.

I love a good sandwich using a nice flatbread. That's not a fucking pizza.

Definition online: Pizza - Noun - a dish of Italian origin consisting of a flat, round base of dough baked with a topping of tomato sauce and cheese, typically with added meat or vegetables.

Gag.

I'm wondering if the issue may be the "dough" part...because I'm remembering the thinnest crust pizzas I have ever eaten and it's not making me sick. So who knows...maybe there's still hope!
m3kcomp
doc severin
doc severin

Postby Zorg on Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:57 am

If you’re stuck on the heteronormative cis-pizza format, I could imagine becoming disheartened, especially if you are forced to order for children. Otherwise pizza, as mentioned, is just a open-face sandwich that can accomodate anything. Either way you are crazy, because pizza is the best.
Zorg
the white ho
the white ho

Postby djimbe on Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:27 am

FM m3kcomp, I understand where you're coming from. I haven't sworn it off, but the older I get, the less interested I get in anything resembling bog-standard pizza. Yes, it can be dressed any numbr of ways and it can be very good. Most of the time it isn't though. I have a 5 year old and a 6 year old at home which means there is gonna be pizza. sigh. yawn.
djimbe
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:02 am

It sounds like you've found one of those good Neopolitan places that uses slow-fermented dough, San Marzano tomatoes, and a wood-fired oven? In NYC, I'm thinking Song e'Napule or Una Pizza Napoletana or even, for a more populist option, Kesté.

If you've tried an austere marinara at one of these places--the O.G. Italian pizza before cheese began appearing in Queen Margherita's honor--and you still weren't into it, well, then, I guess you just don't like pizza.

A good marinara is about as far as you can get from most of the overtopped jizz bombs that pass for "pizza" all over the world. Otherwise, I got nothin'.
OrthodoxEaster
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Me Again on Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:54 am

Had proper pizza (a "Da Vinci" (fennel sausage, mushroom, pepperoni)) for dinner yesterday, for the first time in a while, and enjoyed it so much I drank two beers in one sitting, something I almost never do these days (usually don't even have one).

Even "bad" pizza can be sort of okay, if you're hungry enough and have reached that point in the day wherein you just don't give a shit, but I try to avoid it. Whenever I have the proper stuff, usually from an Italian eatery run by actual Italians, I realize how much things like frozen pizza and pizza from big chains isn't even fit to shine its shoes. It really is like night and day.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby Defender on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:04 am

not crap!!! I cant imagine disliking pizza. my younger brother doesn't like pizza but he's a very picky eater.

prob no food that I get cravings for more than pizza.

if you eat vegan or yr lactose intolerant or something, I find that,if available, tater tots make an excellent substitute for cheese on top.
god is a gentleman. he prefers blondes.
Defender
F = ma
F = ma

Postby m3kcomp on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:35 am

Zorg wrote:Otherwise pizza, as mentioned, is just a open-face sandwich that can accomodate anything.

If that's the case, since I love open face Monte Cristo sandwiches then I love pizza.

Doesn't make any sense to me.

I suppose I'm just making the argument against "pizza party" pizza. Most people don't have access to hipster pizza nor can they afford it. Dollar slice joints flourish in NYC because of this. At best, most people have access to a shitty pizzeria that serves up the round 14 inch 8 slice cheese variation that I've had more than enough of at this point. Some don't even have that! They have Dominoes, Papa Johns, et al.

A lot of times even places that serve "fancy" pizzas suck too. I'd rather have bland Indian, cheap Chinese, or a crappy cheeseburger at a fair than a good slice of pizza. That's where I'm at. Shitty pizza is far worse than shitty everything else. Good Indian, Chinese, French, Ethiopian, Thai, Japanese, American, etc. slays even the best pizza, every time.
m3kcomp
doc severin
doc severin

Postby Tommy on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:55 am

Good food is good food. Bad food is bad food. You're having shitty pizza. Run of the mill pizza is a drag. The crust matters. A lot. Also, the sauce. Bad sauce ruins a pizza. Cheese is cheese, for the most part. Even shitty cheese is good on pizza (exception being St. Louis' own Provel).

Example: I never want Italian food because what comes to mind is shitty pasta. BUT every time I have actual fresh pasta it's a total delight. I've just had way too much shitty dried pasta in my life. Same for pizza. All of the national chains suck (except I kinda like Jet's - I know, I know). And cheap NYC slices are fucking terrible. It's like calling a McDonalds cheeseburger a burger. I mean, technically it is. But it's pretty terrible.

The easiest way to have a decent pizza is to go somewhere that has wood-fired Neapolitan-style pizza. Sometimes breweries have this if you don't have a place fancy enough to have this in your home town. These places have usually spent time on making a great crust, because you can't hide shitty crust in this style.

Anyway, try some better pizza before you discount it entirely.
Tommy
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Andrew. on Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:50 am

Zorg wrote:heteronormative cis-pizza format

I would not see this band.

Pizza is obviously not crap.

My partner hates "hipster pizza," as in over-priced thin-crust pizza with like chevre and a heap of fresh arugula on top. Not my preference either but it doesn't make me angry.

Hot cheese w zesty tomato sauce on warm chewy pan bread w yr choice of tasty toppings -- nothing to dislike.

There's an old school family-run place near our house that does it right. Thick crust, homemade sauce, etc.

Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby enframed on Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:56 am

m3kcomp wrote:
Zorg wrote:Otherwise pizza, as mentioned, is just a open-face sandwich that can accomodate anything.

If that's the case, since I love open face Monte Cristo sandwiches then I love pizza.

Doesn't make any sense to me.

I suppose I'm just making the argument against "pizza party" pizza. Most people don't have access to hipster pizza nor can they afford it. Dollar slice joints flourish in NYC because of this. At best, most people have access to a shitty pizzeria that serves up the round 14 inch 8 slice cheese variation that I've had more than enough of at this point. Some don't even have that! They have Dominoes, Papa Johns, et al.

A lot of times even places that serve "fancy" pizzas suck too. I'd rather have bland Indian, cheap Chinese, or a crappy cheeseburger at a fair than a good slice of pizza. That's where I'm at. Shitty pizza is far worse than shitty everything else. Good Indian, Chinese, French, Ethiopian, Thai, Japanese, American, etc. slays even the best pizza, every time.

Pizza Party pizza, eg, Dominoes, Papa John's, Straw Hat (I actually like that one), Round Table, is mostly complete shit. If you are tired of red sauce on a pizza, and it sounds like maybe you are, try a "bianco" pizza like quattro formaggi, or anything that doesn't have red sauce. This is really where the "pizza is just an open-faced sandwich" idea might make more sense to you. I've had what was basically a Monte Cristo (with Italian meats and cheeses, mind) and it was quite good.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:31 pm

m3kcomp wrote:I'm just making the argument against "pizza party" pizza. Most people don't have access to hipster pizza nor can they afford it. Dollar slice joints flourish in NYC because of this. At best, most people have access to a shitty pizzeria that serves up the round 14 inch 8 slice cheese variation that I've had more than enough of at this point. Some don't even have that! They have Dominoes, Papa Johns, et al.

That stuff is crap. And it's barely even "pizza." It tastes much more like a grilled cheese sandwich (which I don't dig). I mean, by that standard (i.e. greasy takeout), most Chinese and Mexican food is also horrible. So are hamburgers. Just about everything is.

The lunch special at the Wall St. or West Village branches of Kesté is $5. For an eight-inch Naples-style pie, either marinara, Margherita, or a bianca w/guanciale and a dusting of pecorino. Definitely populist pricing. Never mind the stuff you can get from a window in Naples (or the Bronx), which is even cheaper. Nothing hipster about it.

In terms of upscale attempts at pizza, I also agree that many of them blow. Especially all that fusion "California" stuff from the '80s, as well as careless shopping-mall/bar-and-grill wood-fired stuff that tastes like a dry cracker. But again, the same can be said of most food.
OrthodoxEaster

Postby eliya on Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:32 pm

There are a lot of bad pizzas out there. They can often be too greasy or too cheesy, or both. So I get not liking it, and I can see myself being less tolerant of bad pizzas as I grow older, but right now even the mediocre pizzas are still enjoyable.

Anyway, you do you, boo.
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Boombats on Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:40 pm

All pizza is good except for white pizza. Fuck that
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby twelvepoint on Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:46 pm

I have a 5 year old kid so we eat too much pizza and I have had my life’s full of “you’ve tried the rest...” low end crap. However! I will stick up for the sourdough pizzas I’ve been doing lately with a nice hand stretched crust, fresh grated mozzarella, and a crisp bottom on a pizza stone, cooked to just this side of “singed.” That’s some good shit.
twelvepoint
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby Boombats on Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:48 pm

Papa John might be a piece of shit but he don't fuck around when he has a month on his hands

https://uproxx.com/viral/papa-john-pizz ... reactions/
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Me Again on Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:16 pm

40 Papa John's pizzas...that's gotta be murder on the GI tract.

Sounds like a form of punishment.

I hope he had laxatives on hand
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby biscuitdough on Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:54 pm

Pizza is good, but if you are a Chicagoan I could understand not liking the item that is labeled "pizza" there.
biscuitdough
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap