Do you like it?

Of Course, are you nuts?!?
98%
No, I'm tired of lying to the world!
3%

Total votes : 40

Re: Pizza. Yes, just Pizza.

Postby Heaven is in your beard on Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:54 am

Anyone who's tired of pizza is tired of life. Not Crap.
The panda made me do it.
Heaven is in your beard
skater
skater

Postby Heaven is in your beard on Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:59 am

twelvepoint wrote:Ok here’s my take:

Neapolitan is the best kind of pizza, followed by NY, then Greek, then Chicago.

I've had all those except the Chicagoan (yeah, I know...). I'd agree that Neapolitan pizzas are the best I've eaten anywhere in the world. I've been told by a friend who grew up there that it's something to do with the (almost) continually sunny weather making the fruits used riper.
The panda made me do it.
Heaven is in your beard
skater
skater

Postby El Protoolio on Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:12 am

I love how New Yorkers always think they have the best of everything, especially pizza. It’s a coping mechanism to help them ignore that they pay too much for everything while being trapped on an island with 9 million miserable people who all hate each other.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Boombats on Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:29 am

El Protoolio wrote:I love how New Yorkers always think they have the best of everything, especially pizza. It’s a coping mechanism to help them ignore that they pay too much for everything while being trapped on an island with 9 million miserable people who all hate each other.

I think you can still get a slice for 99¢ near the entrance to the Lincoln tunnel and I'm sure the heroin is still cheap so at least city folks aren't paying too much for the important shit
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby El Protoolio on Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:27 pm

I’m just fucking around. I love New York and it’s pizza. I’ll be there in a few months for a visit.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Boombats on Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:19 pm

Nice! First slice is on me
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby tmidgett on Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:41 pm

jeff_fox wrote:The best pizza of any kind I've had in the midwest is actually at the Anodyne coffee on KK in Milwaukee, I'm guessing you've had it? Neapolitan, perfect charred crust, not too thin or soupy in the middle. I get the one with anchovies.

Yeah, many times. It's quite good. It's amazingly great for a pizza you can buy in a coffee shop.

Transfer may have been slightly better, but I haven't been there for a while, and I think the guy who was the master pie maker there left?

Classic Slice is good NY pizza in MKE. I like Jimmy's here, it's nearby and decent NY. I like Jet's quite a lot for chain Detroit pizza.

In the US I much prefer a cracker crust, tho. Pizza is probably the most childish main dish we eat as grown humans, and I think our preference is sorta imprinted on us very early on.

I grew up eating Tower Pizza in Missoula, which was a very particular kind of super-dry cracker crust with mixed cheese and pasty tomato sauce with whatever toppings, cooked to well-done.

It always read as completely delicious to me, and Tower closed a couple years ago w/o me ever figuring out if it was actually great or if I was just totally attuned into it.

Anyway, pizza, fuckin' rules, love it. The pizza in Sicily was mindblowing. There was a place in Catania that is closed now, ate there like 6 times in a week. Stunning.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby El Protoolio on Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:02 am

Chicago has good NYC style places. I grew up on party squares from the great, late Royal Chessman in Wilmette, but also on NY slices from Giggio’s in Evanston, which is still around. I don’t know what New Yorkers would think of it, but I love it. It’s down the street from Vintage Vinyl Records on Davis.

Boombats wrote:Nice! First slice is on me

Sweet!
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby RSMurphy on Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:19 am

Christopher wrote:
RSMurphy wrote:
Boombats wrote:Technically, isn't all pizza white? Except for Sicilian

One time I got a gyro in the hood and the cook asked if I wanted cheese on it because that's how they do. I refer to those as black gyros.

Spoiler alert: I got it with cheese, because that's how I do.

When in Rome on 79thus St. and all.

I encountered the movie popcorn version of this in one of my first jobs as a teenager at a little second-run theater, where the order would be "Large popcorn and a cup of cheese." Just the nacho cheese stuff in a dipping cup for a 50 cent extra charge. Not a single whitey -- ever, not once -- asked for it. Which seemed odd, because it was a brilliant way to turn our mediocre popcorn into something special.

That's a new one on me. I mean, even the gyro thing flipped my wig a bit. Ghost stories, hot sauce, magic, and washcloths, sure; but a cup of melted cheese? Sorta makes sense because who doesn't love melted cheese on anything.

There used to be a za jernt on the far south/Southeast side of Chicago called Capri's Pizza. Grew-up on those greasy party squares. Belly rumbling right now just thinking about how greasy there were. Been around for ages. Building burned down early this year.

Capri's Pizza
WHALES CHICAGO USA THE MUSIC OF SOUND BANDACMP EP NOISEPOP

LTD. EDITION VINYL COPIES OF SIZE AND SCALE

Trey wrote:I think Randy is great.

Surfrider wrote:Come on Randy! You can do it!!
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby twelvepoint on Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:23 am

I am 100% down with putting 7/11 style cheez on whatever you can, but it seems like combining it with popcorn would be a messy affair for all but the most dainty eaters, and who wants to consume popcorn daintily?
twelvepoint
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby Christopher on Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:14 pm

You dip the popcorn in the cheese. Don't pour it over the bag, don't completely submerge like an oreo in milk- just a little swipe to flavor-up the popcorn. Not messy at all.

This is why you never asked for it, isn't it?
I guitar Conformists.
Christopher
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby Boombats on Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:38 pm

I'd rather dump it on and eat with a spoon.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby kerble on Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:44 pm

handful of popcorn, shot of cheese.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Boombats on Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:52 pm

kerble wrote:handful of popcorn, shot of cheese.

Lick cheese off back of hand, take shot of popcorn
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby twelvepoint on Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:13 pm

Yeah that kernel-at-a-time technique is way too slow
twelvepoint
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby unsaved on Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:35 pm

unsaved
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby zircona1 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:56 pm

I don't think I've ever had pizza in NYC. The last time I was there was 2003. I should've looked for some.

We have a pizza place here in town called Shakespeare's that puts all the chains to shame, but it does cost a little more. My girlfriend and I go there often. In terms of chains, Papa Murphy's and Gumby's are pretty good (I like the chewy crust on the latter). St. Louis-style pizza from Imo's (with Provel cheese) is good, but I can finish a large in one sitting, it's like eating a bunch of crackers. I want my pizzas to last at least 2 meals.
- "Whatever happened to that album?"
- "I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall, and it like, shattered."
zircona1
red hodges
red hodges

Postby Tommy on Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:05 pm

zircona1 wrote:We have a pizza place here in town called Shakespeare's that puts all the chains to shame, but it does cost a little more. My girlfriend and I go there often.

I miss Shakespeare's. Back when I lived there (and was still an omnivore) I used to get Pepper Jack and Pepperoni on wheat.
Tommy
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby night_tools on Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:07 pm

I'll eat pizza at any given opportunity. Not too fussy about quality but I should really make the effort to make my own a lot more. It's completely feasible to make really nice pizza from scratch in the time it takes to order and wait for delivery. Can't imagine ever not being crazy about pizza.
In terms of American pizza rivalry, I've had pretty good pizza in New York but a Pequod's with italian sausage, banana peppers and mushrooms is up there with the best I've tasted. Would like to check out 'Piece' should I be lucky enough to come back to Chicago.
andteater wrote:My ex wife never appreciated my music, but the men of the PRF do. This is important.
night_tools
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Seby on Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:22 pm

m3kcomp wrote:I suppose I'm just making the argument against "pizza party" pizza. Most people don't have access to hipster pizza nor can they afford it. Dollar slice joints flourish in NYC because of this. At best, most people have access to a shitty pizzeria that serves up the round 14 inch 8 slice cheese variation that I've had more than enough of at this point. Some don't even have that! They have Dominoes, Papa Johns, et al.

Oh for fuck's sake. This is like claiming that fish is crap when the thing with which you are concerned is a fish stick. What you are talking about is not even food. It is completely processed, preservative laden shit.

(The fact that call actual food "hipster pizza" is revealing.)

Yes, prefabricated junk food is crap. Since when has this been news? You just figured this out now? How old are you?

Come off it.
Seby
museum trash
museum trash

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap