Of Course, are you nuts?!?
98%
No, I'm tired of lying to the world!
3%

Total votes : 40

Re: Pizza. Yes, just Pizza.

Postby m3kcomp on Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:32 am

Seby wrote:
m3kcomp wrote:I suppose I'm just making the argument against "pizza party" pizza. Most people don't have access to hipster pizza nor can they afford it. Dollar slice joints flourish in NYC because of this. At best, most people have access to a shitty pizzeria that serves up the round 14 inch 8 slice cheese variation that I've had more than enough of at this point. Some don't even have that! They have Dominoes, Papa Johns, et al.

Oh for fuck's sake. This is like claiming that fish is crap when the thing with which you are concerned is a fish stick. What you are talking about is not even food. It is completely processed, preservative laden shit.

(The fact that call actual food "hipster pizza" is revealing.)

Yes, prefabricated junk food is crap. Since when has this been news? You just figured this out now? How old are you?

Come off it.

Yikes. Like pizza that much, huh?

I apologize. I like pizza...ok, pal?

We all know what hipster pizza means. Don't be a dick. There's a shitload of "actual food" that isn't hipster food. We know what the line is...and methinks you're a little sensitive about it.

I don't know if this is "news" to you...but most people can't afford the type of food you're talking about nor have they ever been educated about it. The health of the US population is a pretty clear indication of this. A lot of people can't pay 20 bucks for a personal "non fish stick" pizza. They need to pay their bills, have families to support, etc. I think this reality is ignored along with numerous other issues plaguing us today. I live in the "richest" city in this country, but the poverty here is also rampant.

I'm 42. I've had tons of fucking pizza. A lot of which was actual food, Not "fish stick" pizza. I don't like it. Crucify me, buster, because I don't like pizza. Good or bad, it's my last meal choice hands down with a bullet.

I didn't ever think it was some kind of shocker that shitty food is shitty. It would be kind of silly to have made a poll asking if crappy food was crap or not, no?

I know people who wouldn't eat at the world's best seafood restaurant if you paid them. They'd vote fish crap, just like I voted CRAP for pizza. Go ahead, lose your mind over it!!!
m3kcomp
doc severin
doc severin

Postby travis k on Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:06 am

What a silly premise . Junkies can even afford "hipster pizza" if they were so inclined and decided to take up a new hobby.
We should assume that hipster pizza should be like a treat . Something that we save for once a week.
Then not people could have it. People have different priorities.
But hipster pizza can be had on the cheap compared to other endeavors . It's not a big deal. Eat it.
travis k
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby travis k on Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:21 am

I delivered pizza for Pizza Hut the summer after my junior year.
I was always fond of how the personal pan rose and tasted compared to the larger ones so I would always just make 2 of those instead of a small pizza. And instead of the pizza sauce , I used the the breadstick tomato sauce which was sweater and spicier , if I recall.
Wanna think I put garlic butter under the bottom of the crust before I sent it through the oven too but not sure.
travis k
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby twelvepoint on Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:29 am

This thread took a weird turn. But it got me thinking a little about the $20 hipster pie vs the $10 you've-tried-the-rest-now-try-the-best generic 'za. What's really up here? Even if you use the nice fresh grated cheese, that can't be more than an extra dollar per pie. Couple more dollars upgrading the sauce and adding some brussel sprouts? I think a lot of why hipster pizza is 2x what YTTRNTTB is preparation, and having labor who cares about what they're doing. I feel like I could do hipster pizza at home using a $25 pizza stone and ingredients I got at 7/11 and do it for about $4.
twelvepoint
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby m3kcomp on Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:53 am

twelvepoint wrote:This thread took a weird turn. But it got me thinking a little about the $20 hipster pie vs the $10 you've-tried-the-rest-now-try-the-best generic 'za. What's really up here? Even if you use the nice fresh grated cheese, that can't be more than an extra dollar per pie. Couple more dollars upgrading the sauce and adding some brussel sprouts? I think a lot of why hipster pizza is 2x what YTTRNTTB is preparation, and having labor who cares about what they're doing. I feel like I could do hipster pizza at home using a $25 pizza stone and ingredients I got at 7/11 and do it for about $4.

Very well said.

Though I think a lot of food snobs are going to blow their stacks now.

It also just struck me how funny it is to see food snobs fiercely defending children's food.
m3kcomp
doc severin
doc severin

Postby enframed on Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:40 pm

twelvepoint wrote:This thread took a weird turn. But it got me thinking a little about the $20 hipster pie vs the $10 you've-tried-the-rest-now-try-the-best generic 'za. What's really up here? Even if you use the nice fresh grated cheese, that can't be more than an extra dollar per pie. Couple more dollars upgrading the sauce and adding some brussel sprouts? I think a lot of why hipster pizza is 2x what YTTRNTTB is preparation, and having labor who cares about what they're doing. I feel like I could do hipster pizza at home using a $25 pizza stone and ingredients I got at 7/11 and do it for about $4.

You can't do hipster pie (which in America is basically an interpretation of Neapolitan) using anything from 7-11.

The main difference is $15/hr kitchen wages (hipster) vs <$10 (Domino's, depending on the jurisdiction, ob.), and the quality of ingredients. Many hipster places ferment the doughs (made to Neapolitan specs, with no sugar added) for three days before using, make their own fresh mozzarella, use the best tomatoes available, buy from Farmer's Markets if available, use good meats, DOP or equivalent cheeses, &c. You could make a good Margherita at home for <$5 though.

I'm not defending the hipster pie, though they can be quite good. I can't afford them these days, and I honestly feel they aren't worth the money.

m3kcomp wrote:[It also just struck me how funny it is to see food snobs fiercely defending children's food.

It's a children's food in America thanks to marketing departments and Chuck E. Cheese. In Italy it's usually served unsliced and with a fork and knife.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:57 pm

Again, Kesté makes one of the better pizzas in NYC. You can have it for lunch for $5, either at the Wall St. branch or the original one in the West Village. Your choice of three types. This is cheaper than most lunches in Chinatown and costs barely more than fast food.

Two giant Roman squares at Mani in Pasta will run you $8-$10 and are basically a meal. There's one in midtown, and another in the East Village.

Nothing about the prices or environment of either of these establishments screams "hipster."

You just might not be looking hard enough.
OrthodoxEaster
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby hackthesidesaway on Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:48 pm

what kind of monster votes "crap" for pizza?
hackthesidesaway
pope
pope

Postby Seby on Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:13 pm

Goodness me! My post above is pretty much a canonical example of why it is that one should not post anything less than 24hrs after coming out from under a general anaesthetic. What I intended at the time to be humorous ribbing banter of wit unparalleled, reads slightly differently in the cold unblinking stare of mental acuity.

There is nothing to do then, but to double down.

Let us begin with the mighty taco. Suppose that I were to say that tacos are crap. I then qualify this by saying that I am referring to "party tacos" only, and by this I mean Taco Bell tacos or whatnot. I then go on to refer to all non-party tacos as "hipster tacos".

It is only fair that someone calls bullshit on me at this point. What fast food chains have done to actual tacos is an abomination. Of course "party tacos" are crap. They are junk food, full of empty carbs and God only knows what else. "Hipster tacos" are simply an attempt to bring actual genuine Mexican style tacos into mainstream American consciousness. Good on people for doing this, and fuck the fast food chains who have been poisoning Americans for generations.

Now indeed, it may well be the case that many Americans can, when it comes to their taco-purchasing power, afford only junk food tacos. Along with the the rest of the absolutely unparalleled (by Western standards) poverty and inaccessibility to a healthy life in the States (including medical care and so forth), this makes me both furious and exasperated. I have, frankly, never seen anything like it outside of Pakistan (which is the only other place to which I have been personally where there are crowds of people at intersections begging motorists for money). The disparity of wealth along with the creeping narrative of poverty as a moral failing is cruel, heartbreaking, and disgusting. If I lived and struggled financially in a context like this, smug hipsters serving up actual tacos from food trucks at top dollar would probably piss me off. A lot.

However, none of this changes the fact that what I have decided to call "party tacos" are complete and obvious crap, and what I am calling "hipster tacos" are just what actual tacos are. If I were to state otherwise then one would be right to suspect that I was either being disingenuous, or that my beliefs about tacos in particular (if not food in general), were massively false as a consequence of my truly bizarre eating practices that are themselves a consequence of the endless manipulative propaganda from processed food conglomerates ("Big Fooda"?) across America. In the latter case, the right reaction from me would not be to be angry at the hipsters (well okay fuck them but not too much), but rather furious at the structures and systems in place that have led to America's dietary state of affairs being what it is today.

Now replace "taco" with "pizza", and "Mexican" with "Italian" above.

The mighty pizza, be it Roman or Neapolitan, is a thing of beauty. What American Big Fooda has done to it is a fucking horror, one that is mocked, and quite rightly, around the world. Please don't take it out on the hipsters for revealing the truth.

Burn down a Pizza Hut.
Seby
museum trash
museum trash

Postby m3kcomp on Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:32 pm

There is a truck in a parking lot in San Diego that sells fish tacos for $1.50 that will change the way you feel about food. It is amazing.

Your jedi mind tricks won't work here. Tacos rule and pizza sucks.

I didn't start this thread to be convinced there is good pizza. I'm sure there is. I was more interested if there's anyone else who just doesn't like it. I got the answer...it appears pizza is the Tropical Fuck Storm of foods!

hackthesidesaway wrote:what kind of monster votes "crap" for pizza?

It has been illuminating, and amusing, to see the intense reaction to someone disliking it. Whew!
m3kcomp
doc severin
doc severin

Postby Seby on Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:49 pm

m3kcomp wrote:
Your jedi mind tricks won't work here. Tacos rule and pizza sucks.

So by that rational, if some hipster were to make taco pizzas, then....

But now what is a taco really, if not a teensy pizza?
Seby
museum trash
museum trash

Postby Get dog costumes on Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:15 pm

FM Seby, it's a pleasure to read your correct usage of the term hipster, let alone your sympathy for our worldview. My mind wandered briefly to whether the "actual" Mexican food we aim to reincarnate can even currently be found as cheaply as, say, Taco Bell, but I have been too feeble-minded since December 2009 to consider aspects of the world that do not fall within the familiar confines of a bun. I thought especially of the truckless taco stand at the super-forlorn dead end near Footsie's in Los Angeles and how much I enjoyed its possibly Oaxaca-style tacos at $1 a piece including tax. How much more is that than a Taco Bell taco, even if 4 is about the minimum that could constitute a meal?

m3kcomp wrote:There is a truck in a parking lot in San Diego that sells fish tacos for $1.50 that will change the way you feel about food. It is amazing.

Your jedi mind tricks won't work here.

Our feelings have already been changed! You are the one who cries for help. Do not turn it around.

It has been illuminating, and amusing, to see the intense reaction to someone disliking it. Whew!

Shirley, in the >9 years you have been on the internet, you have seen someone fish for attention, get more than he bargained for, and then try to join the audience of his own humiliation. So you must know this will not work. Everyone is laughing at you, and you may not join in.

The jedi mind trick you deserve is a hand-waving dismissal, and it will work.
Marsupialized wrote:She had a gun, so I did it. I had the decency to go into a stall to do it, though.
Get dog costumes
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby El Protoolio on Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:49 am

Get dog costumes wrote:... I thought especially of the truckless taco stand at the super-forlorn dead end near Footsie's in Los Angeles and how much I enjoyed its possibly Oaxaca-style tacos at $1 a piece including tax. ...

I have been to Footsie's a few times when I lived in Highland Park and while I don't know the taco stand I know the super-forlorn dead end. This made me LOL so hard.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Angus Jung on Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:10 pm

If we're talking L.A. - there are definitely hipster tacos to be had, in the way that people have been defining hipster pizza in this thread.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby bishopdante on Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:11 am

Pizza is a very expensive sort of prepared bread product as bread products go. Even french pâtisserie is cheaper per hundred grams. Some commercial operations are equivalent to printing money.

Compared to the lowly sandwich, or the toast, it's a meal of a bill. Why? What's the difference between pizza and bread?

The answer is that the pizza involves cooking the dough and the topping at the same time.

Therefore the frozen pizza I would argue is actually a circular toast. In some forsaken places we have heard that they batter and deep fry these circular toasts. http://blog.23x.net/13/what-is-a-deep-fried-pizza.html the horror the horror

Fresh dough is the important feature. It's also available in packets.

If I were consulted on the relevant advertising standards / food labelling, I would recommend prohibiting pre-cooked bread with the topping toasted on from being called "pizza". Dough or no deal.

Wood burning enclosure preferred, or any similarly high temperature gas tandoor object. The four hundred degrees celsius plus zero humidity. small pile of paving slabs and a bunch of timber forklift pallets will do the job in a pinch/warzone.
Code: Select all
01100011 01101111 01101110 01100111 01110010 01100001 01110100 01110101 01101100 01100001 01110100 01101001 01101111 01101110 01110011
bishopdante
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby enframed on Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:26 am

bishopdante wrote:
If I were consulted on the relevant advertising standards / food labelling, I would recommend prohibiting pre-cooked bread with the topping toasted on from being called "pizza". Dough or no deal.

Wood burning enclosure preferred, or any similarly high temperature gas tandoor object. The four hundred degrees celsius plus zero humidity.

The Unenforced Rules for Neapolitan pizza.
Records for sale.

enframed

Postby night_tools on Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:53 pm

had some Pizza Hut pizza at work ( the boss had ordered it as a treat for everyone)
It was horrible. I ate three slices.
Now going over to a friend's house to hang out for a few hours. We're getting pizza.
andteater wrote:My ex wife never appreciated my music, but the men of the PRF do. This is important.
night_tools
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Tommy on Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:03 pm

night_tools wrote:had some Pizza Hut pizza at work ( the boss had ordered it as a treat for everyone)
Now going over to a friend's house to hang out for a few hours. We're getting pizza.

As a palate cleanser to get the bad taste of Pizza Hut out of your mouth?
Tommy
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby zircona1 on Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:08 pm

night_tools wrote:had some Pizza Hut pizza at work ( the boss had ordered it as a treat for everyone)

Heh, I think I felt the same way the last time I had Pizza Hut. "This sucks." *eats 2 slices*

I grew up in a small town of about 3000 people. Pizza Hut was the only major restaurant chain in town. Eating there was a treat for young zircona1. I don't know if my taste has changed, or if their pizza has gotten worse. Maybe it's both.
- "Whatever happened to that album?"
- "I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall, and it like, shattered."
zircona1
red hodges
red hodges

Postby enframed on Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:46 pm

zircona1 wrote:

Heh, I think I felt the same way the last time I had Pizza Hut. "This sucks." *eats 2 slices*

Ha. This is pretty much my behavior with any free pizza offered to me. I rarely buy pizza anymore, though. At most I'll get a slice of Delicious Pizza which is basically NY style, quite good, and so close to my house I have to exert will power to not eat it more than a couple times a month.
Records for sale.

enframed

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap