Put 'em away (CRAP)
5%
Get 'em out (NOT CRAP)
95%

Total votes : 19

Re: Movie: Knives Out

Postby offal on Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:51 pm

It was fine.

I'll go "not crap" because I enjoyed the two hours or so we spent watching it well enough, but that said -- I can't imagine ever watching it again on purpose.
offal
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby DregsInTheCrowd on Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:24 pm

Finally saw it over the weekend. Fantastic film. Loved the screenplay, the cast, Steve Yedlin's sumptuous and crystal clear cinematography, the whole shebang.

Rian Johnson is responsible for what I consider the best or second-best Star Wars film, and he's supposedly on the hook for more Star Wars films, but after taking in Knives Out and his earlier films, I'm not so sure I want him tethered to a major franchise. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he'll make more interesting franchise films than most of what gets released today. But he's so good at generating his own, fully fleshed-out ideas, and I want to see that explored more.

After being the focal point of the debacle surrounding The Last Jedi, and the exhaustion that must have ensued, I'm impressed that he could crank out something this good just two years later.
My name is Mike, and I play music in Stripper Deville.
DregsInTheCrowd
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby andyman on Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:18 pm

Disappointing. It's over for this guy: the big leagues have got him and will water his stuff down while surrounding him with people who'll tell him "it's brilliant", whatever it is.
Brick and Looper were cool though.
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap