No votes
Sepultura
95%
Type O Negative
5%

Total votes : 22

Roadrunner-records-mid-90s-mersh-metal-dome

Postby M.H on Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:10 am

Thinking about that moment in the mid-90s, (1993 to 1996ish): thrash was dead, grunge was king, Earache and death metal generally had petered out after failing to break the sales ceiling. Pantera were cutting through alone, but a little later Roadrunner had gathered a lot of the new bands who put out their stronger records in this period and set the scene for the Nu Metal apocalypse that would follow.

Which of these bands do you rate the most? Slice the cake however you like: favourite band, strongest album (they all put out one killer record in this era, IMO), greatest overall influence, least / most cringy, etc etc…

(Addendum: considered adding Biohazard and Life of Agony into the mix but they were more outgrowths of NYHC than proper metal.)
M.H
jose raul capablanca
jose raul capablanca

Re: Roadrunner-records-mid-90s-mersh-metal-dome

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:17 am

Takes me back - did a fair bit of work for the early/mid 90s metal labels of note.

Went with Sepultura. Highest volume of good stuff. Still have plenty of time for Machine Head's debut.

Fear Factory's Concrete was great and eventually got a release, the first two albums and EP inbetween were nice, but always diminishing returns, and Misery Loves Co had better songs. Watching FF trying to follow GGFH live was amusing.

Type O Negative never had a sound I was into, but I'd see them now and then and the live show felt decent. Nice ear for a tune too - I just never got with it.
maintain a healthy foe list
A_Man_Who_Tries
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby Boombats on Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:38 pm

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote:Takes me back - did a fair bit of work for the early/mid 90s metal labels of note.

Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:01 pm

Nothing exciting. Earache, Roadrunner, the MFN northern underlings (Peaceville and Dreamtime) and a bit for Relapse/Release when they were first making inroads in Europe. Mostly a big blag and saved a packet on shows/gear.

I did see Nailbomb live, twice. I suppose that's a rarity.
A_Man_Who_Tries
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby biscuitdough on Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:31 pm

This is a tough one. Fear Factory's first two are solid and Chaos AD is my favorite Sepultura record. If we're keeping to 93-96 you have to include Roots, though, and that's a disqualifier. Type O had their two best records, and the 93 lower cutoff keeps their racist song out of the equation, but I can't bring myself to vote for them. I never paid much mind to Machine Head.
biscuitdough
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Mick Shrimpton on Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:38 pm

Blue Grape had the market cornered on merch for this scene. Where else can you find a pair of jams (in size L or XL only) officially licensed by Prong?

Mick Shrimpton
star
star

Postby Bernardo on Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:32 pm

Sepultura by a landslide. Fear Factory's first album was decent almost by accident, judging from the horrible style they settled into from Demanufacture onwards, Machine Head were derivative even at their best and I couldn't be bothered with Type O Negative for one second. Sepultura were one of the best, most significant metal bands around for a number of years, until the split.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby 154 on Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:02 pm

Yeah, Sepultura. I pulled up Roots for a laugh/nostalgia sake but might be listening to it for days now..
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby biscuitdough on Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:28 pm

Demanufacture vs Roots, I will pick Demanufacture every time.
biscuitdough

Postby Bernardo on Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:08 pm

biscuitdough wrote:Demanufacture vs Roots, I will pick Demanufacture every time.

God no. I have my reservations about Roots, but Demanufacture is some cheesy shit.
Bernardo

Postby M.H on Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:04 am

Bernardo wrote:
biscuitdough wrote:Demanufacture vs Roots, I will pick Demanufacture every time.

God no. I have my reservations about Roots, but Demanufacture is some cheesy shit.

Roots is just a bit too long. Cut a few tracks off and it would be as good as Chaos A.D. (which I think could also do w/ a bit of an edit, too many songs go on for far too long).

Sorta surprised to see Demanufacture being shit on - I was under the impression that everybody agreed that was FF's one great moment before they started chasing the market place with their later, cringy albums that have muddied their legacy.
M.H
jose raul capablanca
jose raul capablanca

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:21 am

I still listen to Roots and Demanufacture, although the latter hasn't aged well, and even in 95 its 'revolutionary digital' sound was nothing of the sort. Not that DDD should be a bellweather for anything, but Godflesh put out Selfless a year previous and it still sounds boxfresh.

I'm really fond of Roots, mostly in its punkier moments, and I'd say Sepultura were at their live best during that period. I can well understand how fans would be turned off by the stylistic shifts from Arise through to Roots, but I don't think it went man overboard until that first Soulfly album, which remains an abomination.
A_Man_Who_Tries
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:23 am

Mick Shrimpton wrote:Blue Grape had the market cornered on merch for this scene. Where else can you find a pair of jams (in size L or XL only) officially licensed by Prong?

Then someone would hear half a gabba tape and be like:

A_Man_Who_Tries
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby Bernardo on Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:35 pm

M.H wrote:Roots is just a bit too long.

I think it's way too long, should be 40 minutes long, tops. That's my main criticism of it, there's a lot of filler on it. Kinda works for a farewell, though, since there has been no Sepultura since.
Bernardo

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:58 pm

Bernardo wrote:I think it's way too long, should be 40 minutes long, tops. That's my main criticism of it, there's a lot of filler on it. Kinda works for a farewell, though, since there has been no Sepultura since.

Similarly, Rocky bowed out perfectly. Christmas day, Moscow, bringing the Two Tribes together.
A_Man_Who_Tries
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby M.H on Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:20 pm

Bernardo wrote:Kinda works for a farewell, though, since there has been no Sepultura since.

Slightly off topic, but there's some really, really good cuts on Against. Absolutely killer drumming throughout, takes the primitive vibe of Roots and mixes it w/ 90s metalcore (Victory records style). But Max had the star power and they were never going to be able to compete against him. Maybe they would have had a better chance if they rebranded...

It's definitely better than Soulfly, who were almost a parody version of the music developed on Roots: totally ridiculous, but fun in super-small doses. Clearly way, way too much weed and yes-men involved in the decision making process.
M.H
jose raul capablanca
jose raul capablanca

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:22 pm

I'll probably have a run through post-Max Sepultura sometime soon - took me until last year to give Alice in Chains that benefit and it was worthwhile. Against is the last I recall hearing any of.
Last edited by A_Man_Who_Tries on Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A_Man_Who_Tries
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby biscuitdough on Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:33 pm

40 minutes? Maybe 20, 25 and it would only bring it up to "ok". The good songs on it would have been filler on the prior 3, and the nu metal shit is egregious.

Noteworthy at the time for the drum mix and hyped low end. Now, these merely underline the nu metal connection.

I wonder if Mike Patton and Jonathan Davis wore jester hats and wallet chains while they recorded their parts.
biscuitdough

Postby agiant on Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:21 pm

Missing option: Life of Agony
blah
agiant
keanu reeves
keanu reeves

Postby Bernardo on Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:39 am

M.H wrote:Slightly off topic, but there's some really, really good cuts on Against.

I did like Against some, it showed promise, but of something that never materialized.
Bernardo

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap