Sepultura
95%
Type O Negative
5%

Total votes : 22

Re: Roadrunner-records-mid-90s-mersh-metal-dome

Postby numberthirty on Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:52 am

agiant wrote:Missing option: Life of Agony

In the most loving, brotherly way I can phrase this...

Forget Life Of Agony. Why in the Hell isn't Biohazard an option?
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby numberthirty on Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:59 am

Setting that aside...

- Type O Negative is a category to itself.

- The Nailbomb album(Point Blank) is actually the best of that bunch.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby jakethesnake on Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:35 am

Sepultura is obviously the best of those bands but I don't care for them after "Arise", first jumping on the Helmet/Fudge Tunnel/"alt-heavy" bandwagon with "Chaos A.D." and then doing the post-Korn crap on "Roots". Thus, I'll go with Type O negative who in spite of their goth-rock tendencies made some good music on the debut and "Bloody Kisses".
jakethesnake
hiwatt
hiwatt

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:27 am

numberthirty wrote:- The Nailbomb album(Point Blank) is actually the best of that bunch.

That or Obituary's World Demise, which has pulled that Fear, Emptiness, Despair trick of sounding better with age and also being unlike anything else of its day.
maintain a healthy foe list
A_Man_Who_Tries
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby M.H on Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:15 am

Bernardo wrote: I did like Against some, it showed promise, but of something that never materialized.

Against is stronger than its reputation suggests, but it all went really wrong from Nation onwards, they never recovered from being the losing side after Max left.

numberthirty wrote: Why in the Hell isn't Biohazard an option?

I considered them (see the first post), but their best (Urban Discipline) was a 1992 release and not a big seller. State of the World Address did ok, (I think), but not as well as any of the four bands that I included.

I felt their mid-level success was more good luck of being signed to Roadrunner during their commercial accent and having lots of tattoos, musically I'll take Sick Of It All or Set It Off (all killer, no filler) over Biohazard any day of the week.

numberthirty wrote: - The Nailbomb album(Point Blank) is actually the best of that bunch.

No, no, no. No way is Point Blank better than Chaos A.D, Demanufacture, Burn My Eyes or October Rust. Nuh uh. I'll need to see your working to consider such a claim.

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Obituary's World Demise, which has pulled that Fear, Emptiness, Despair trick of sounding better with age and also being unlike anything else of its day.

Both cruelly underrated records.
M.H
jose raul capablanca
jose raul capablanca

Postby biscuitdough on Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:38 am

Point Blank is not better than Chaos AD, but it is better than everything else in the running. It's a bummer that Max didn't just go in the crusty direction with Sepultura.
biscuitdough
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:28 am

If you let the cut-off creep a year ahead of Against (which was late 98), then Amen's self-titled Roadrunner album comes into play. That was a lot of fun.

Also - totally overlooked - Roadrunner put out the QOTSA debut in Europe, around the same time as Against. That's probably on the podium as Roadrunner albums go.

Granted, neither of these are 'mersh-metal' (never heard that term before).

Edit: Gave Against a spin. Recall it having a few peaks amongst a lot of waste but there's actually more to it than that. File alongside Entombed's Same Difference on that score.
A_Man_Who_Tries
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby Podge9 on Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:30 am

Pffft, Type-O shouldn't even be on this list.

Sepultura's run of Arise, Chaos AD and Roots puts them on top easily.

I'm gonna give some love for that debut Machine Head album too. Chris Kontos' drums on Davidian, oh man.

You could easily turn this thread into who went the most laughably awful after their heyday (toss up between MH and FF).
I actually like a lot of the post Max era of Sepultura though
Podge9
ben affleck
ben affleck

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:00 pm

Podge9 wrote:I'm gonna give some love for that debut Machine Head album too. Chris Kontos' drums on Davidian, oh man.

Love his drumming. I don't know a thing about technique but he was the perfect drummer for that band at that moment.
A_Man_Who_Tries
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby M.H on Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:05 pm

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Granted, neither of these are 'mersh-metal' (never heard that term before).

Minutemen slang. Mersh = commercial / mainstream. I'm not using that as a pejorative though.

Podge9 wrote:Pffft, Type-O shouldn't even be on this list.

Bloody Kisses was a huge seller - RR's first gold album, if I remember correctly. It's my least favourite Type O record, (October Rust is 90% brilliant) but they brought a mix of underground styles (goth, doom, NYHC crossover) into a mainstream rock context.

V similar with how Fear Factory (industrial, electronic, death metal) and Sepultura (death, thrash, crust punk) worked, IMO.

Podge9 wrote:You could easily turn this thread into who went the most laughably awful after their heyday (toss up between MH and FF).

MH are awful most of the time, but I do think The Blackening was a genuine return to form and Through the Ashes of Empire is passable. FF really have been BAD for a long time now, and I have a high tolerance for their cheesy nu-metal era singles. It was always sorta sad what happened to Sepultura and Type O, but their worst stuff is just mildly disappointing and forgetable. Most MH & FF records are astonishingly bad.
M.H
jose raul capablanca
jose raul capablanca

Postby biscuitdough on Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:05 pm

I'm finally casting a vote. Keeping strictly to 93-96:

Fear Factory, Demanufacture, 1995
Machine Head, Burn My Eyes, 1994
Sepultura, Chaos A.D., 1993 and Roots, 1996
Type O Negative, Bloody Kisses, 1993 and October Rust, 1996

Fear Factory are industrial metal, which hasn't aged well. Maybe industrial metal was always silly - maybe all industrial was. A standout album for the genre, though. Sepultura have their best album and a real stinker. Type O get points for becoming less of a comedy band between their two entires. They are still pretty clownish though.

I figured I would re-familiarize myself with the Machine Head one, and goddamn is this intro long. What the fuck. Are there two intros? OK, here's vocals, Scott Stapp meets Phil Anselmo. He whiffs the "let freedom ring with a shotgun blast" line - for some reason I remember it sounding tougher - that makes guys who own a needlessly big truck get half a boner. I'm going to go ahead and say this was never good.

Sepultura gets the vote. Roots fucking sucks, like really fucking sucks, but Chaos A.D. is my favorite from this band.
biscuitdough

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:19 pm

Fear is the Mindkiller should be on that list. Would certainly raise Fear Factory's batting average too.
A_Man_Who_Tries
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby Bernardo on Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:05 pm

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote:Fear is the Mindkiller should be on that list. Would certainly raise Fear Factory's batting average too.

Isn't it just remixes?

I count Concrete in their favor.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:07 pm

Bernardo wrote:Isn't it just remixes?

I count Concrete in their favor.

It's a remix EP of SoaNM material, and good value for it.

Concrete is great but it was recorded before 93 and, oddly enough, released after 96.
A_Man_Who_Tries
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby M.H on Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:46 pm

biscuitdough wrote: Type O get points for becoming less of a comedy band between their two entires. They are still pretty clownish though.

Most of the singles were always "humorous" (boardering on novelty material, and definitely to the detriment of the music) but there's zero percent clown on most tracks on October Rust and World Coming Down.

Part of what sunk them in the late 90's was Mr Steele's habit of writing songs that were so personal that he couldn't perform them live unless he was wrecked: thus, less touring, more drinking / drugging and inevitable self-destruction. They never got the balance right on the later (weaker) albums, mainly as Pete was too far gone.

You wouldn't judge Black Flag off 'TV Party', right? Does that one song lessen the fury of Damaged?

This is one of my favourite songs dealing w/ grief & loss by anybody ever:

M.H
jose raul capablanca
jose raul capablanca

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:05 am

Listening to Type O Negative from Bloody Kisses onwards. Was far away from my listening habits back in the day, but if you let the camp in there's some enjoyable stuff there.
A_Man_Who_Tries
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby prowler on Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:06 pm

Against was my first Sepultura, heh. Haven't heard it in ages but I bet I'd still like it wayyy more than Roots.
prowler
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby Podge9 on Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:39 am

There's a brand new 2020 remaster of Sepultura's Beneath the Remains and it sounds fucking amazing
Podge9
ben affleck
ben affleck

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:00 pm

Podge9 wrote:There's a brand new 2020 remaster of Sepultura's Beneath the Remains and it sounds fucking amazing

Ooh. Like, more amazing?
A_Man_Who_Tries
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby sulfur)addict on Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:59 pm

Sepultura, quite easily, even the 90's stuff. I'm not gonna sit thru all of Roots Bloody Roots again any time soon, but there's a few bangers on that one too.

My second choice would be Exhorder, unless they're too early for this specific poll.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap