Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:26 am

Binary nitwits. The modern scourge.
maintain a healthy foe list
A_Man_Who_Tries
saw big cat
saw big cat

Re: Warren will endorse:

Postby Boombats on Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:09 am

Warren can say all she wants, but if she doesn't do anything helpful then she's shit. And I'm entitled to my opinion of her being shit because my opinion doesn't have an effect, so folks who it bothers will just have to get over themselves. If you're calling me a binary nitwit then fuck you.
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:29 am

Not calling anyone anything. If the cap fits then by all means wear it. I don't know you.
A_Man_Who_Tries
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby Andrew. on Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:35 am

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote:Binary nitwits. The modern scourge.

What binary are you referring to?
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Boombats on Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:53 am

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote:Not calling anyone anything. If the cap fits then by all means wear it. I don't know you.

This is a bitch-ass way to walk it back. You clearly called somebody something- it's right there in your post. Have a spine and stand up for what you said.
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Andrew. on Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:11 pm

Justin Foley wrote:I want Warren to endorse Sanders and I hope she and he are being strategic about the timing of an announcement. If she doesn't, she'll go down a peg in my estimation of her.

Would be nice but it seems like wishful thinking at this point. It's hard to get my head around how she wouldn't endorse Sanders if she's committed to improving people's lives and defeating Trump.

But then again, it's hard for me to understand how a grown-ass Harvard professor in 2018 would publicly release DNA tests to try to prove she's 2% Cherokee to own Trump. Really stupid. She's clearly a bit of an obtuse narcissist. And working-class women have been right not to trust her. She thinks she knows better than them while in practical terms her campaign has undermined their future.
Last edited by Andrew. on Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:11 pm

Boombats wrote:
A_Man_Who_Tries wrote:Not calling anyone anything. If the cap fits then by all means wear it. I don't know you.

This is a bitch-ass way to walk it back. You clearly called somebody something- it's right there in your post. Have a spine and stand up for what you said.

No. I called binary nitwits, binary nitwits. Who is or isn't one, either in this thread or anywhere, I wasn't pointing towards.

Like I said, if you identify yourself as one then go ahead. I don't know you, so I can't. Which is why I didn't. But just for the record if you (or anyone) can't see the wisdom in choosing incremental improvement over crashing and burning then yes, you're part of said scourge.

For what little it's worth, I don't think you are. From what I know of you, you have a preference but would be blue-no-matter-who.
A_Man_Who_Tries
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby Boombats on Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:25 pm

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote:
Boombats wrote:

No. I called binary nitwits, binary nitwits. Who is or isn't one, either in this thread or anywhere, I wasn't pointing towards.

Like I said, if you identify yourself as one then go ahead. I don't know you, so I can't. Which is why I didn't. But just for the record if you (or anyone) can't see the wisdom in choosing incremental improvement over crashing and burning then yes, you're part of said scourge.

For what little it's worth, I don't think you are. From what I know of you, you have a preference but would be blue-no-matter-who.

Don't feign surprise that I thought you were referring to me, right after a post in response to my post about Warren being shit. You threw your insult grenade into a room in which you were well aware of the occupants, so you knew what you were doing.

Regarding your other point, Incremental change is not change, not in our political system. It's a carrot on a string.

https://twitter.com/DilanPCook/status/1 ... 20705?s=20
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby jimmy spako on Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:31 pm

Siding with the future of the Democratic party is not a risky proposition. If she has any commitment to her supposed values she should adhere to them and ride it out. She has her Senate seat for the next four years and can serve as opposition to Trump or Biden in it, work to block the former or work to pull the latter to the left. It's not as hard as people are making it out to be. She lost on floundering triangulation, and trying to square the circle is not going to help her now personally either (or be the best use of her political capital).

If she thinks that she can influence Biden policy-wise in any significant way, she is delusional. She does not have that kind of leverage now, she is hardly in some kind of kingmaker position.

Anyways, there would be nothing stopping her from endorsing Bernie and then endorsing Biden and campaigning for him if Bernie loses. Occam's razor: Warren is not committed to the Bernie agenda in theory and/or actually believes she didn't do better because of Bernie Bros.
Isabelle Gall wrote:'Do not go smoothly into that dark night'
jimmy spako
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:35 pm

I'm not feigning surprise Boombats. I wasn't pointing a finger at anybody in the thread. If your skin is so thin about it then suit yourself, but I promise you that I would call someone out by name, were that the intention. You can believe that, or choose not to.
A_Man_Who_Tries
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby Boombats on Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:40 pm

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote:I'm not feigning surprise Boombats. I wasn't pointing a finger at anybody in the thread. If your skin is so thin about it then suit yourself, but I promise you that I would call someone out by name, were that the intention. You can believe that, or choose not to.

So then what inspired your post? Where was the binary discussion until you brought it up? It had nothing to do with the thread, so where did it come from?

You show your ass right here

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote:Like I said, if you identify yourself as one then go ahead.

Obviously I don't identify that way, so your passive-aggressive comment reveals that you are suggesting I am while leaving yourself a back door bitch exit.

And you further show your ass here:
A_Man_Who_Tries wrote:But just for the record if you (or anyone) can't see the wisdom in choosing incremental improvement over crashing and burning then yes, you're part of said scourge.

Where you say "I'm not calling you that, unless you disagree with me, in which case I am calling you that."

bitch
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:41 pm

Boombats wrote:Regarding your other point, Incremental change is not change, not in our political system. It's a carrot on a string.

https://twitter.com/DilanPCook/status/1 ... 20705?s=20

I never said the best anyone can hope for is incremental change. I said that it's better than crashing and burning, in the event the best option is removed.

In 2020 US Election speak then - Your best option is Sanders, but if he doesn't get the nomination then the next-best option is whomever the nominee is (i.e. incremental change), over the alternative (crash and burn).
A_Man_Who_Tries
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:44 pm

Justin Foley wrote:I bring it up here because this tendency in discourse - that evaluating a complex judgment of people or policies as being worse than binary judgment - discourages conversation. If you have to defend the very idea of a nuanced approach when you engage in conversation with someone, it's like - why fucking bother? This person is demanding a ridiculously simplistic scorecard. I'd rather go hang out in the Tech Room.

Boombats,

The use of the word 'binary' in this post above, is the only thing that motivated my initial post, pretty much right after it. So either walk back your nonsense, or keep being a prick.
A_Man_Who_Tries
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby Boombats on Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:45 pm

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote:In 2020 US Election speak then - Your best option is Sanders, but if he doesn't get the nomination then the next-best option is whomever the nominee is (i.e. incremental change), over the alternative (crash and burn).

Which is so not the point of this thread, nor is anyone making an argument counter to voting for crash and burn. But go off queen

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote:The use of the word 'binary' in this post above, is the only thing that motivated my initial post, pretty much right after it.

And Justin's post was in response to my post, so my assertion stands.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:48 pm

Boombats wrote:But go off queen

Classy. Thank fuck for the foe list.
A_Man_Who_Tries
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby Boombats on Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:52 pm

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote:
Boombats wrote:But go off queen

Classy. Thank fuck for the foe list.

LOL now you're gonna pretend there's something problematic with "go off queen." I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you've never heard it before, but that's all imma give you.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Angus Jung on Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:13 pm

Justin Foley wrote:There's a pervasive online thing where people stridently brand a whole host of public figures as being utter garbage. This is really bad. We can go back through the "Presidential candidates" threads here (or hop on Twitter for 20 seconds) and examples abound of why everyone (except maybe Sanders) is absolute trash.

It is childish.

So "The Austerity Program" is a literal tribute to Thatcher? Makes sense now.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Justin Foley on Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:47 pm

Boombats wrote:
A_Man_Who_Tries wrote:The use of the word 'binary' in this post above, is the only thing that motivated my initial post, pretty much right after it.

And Justin's post was in response to my post, so my assertion stands.

To clarify the point I tried to make above - I'm complaining about a type of discourse that I wish people would give up. To be consistent with my own point: I don't think anyone who employs it is any one "type" of person. It's just something that people do some times - I have probably been guilty of it myself. It's a symptom of someone who is, at that point, much more interested in talking than listening and I think it's bad form.

Boombats, for example, has demonstrated consistent empathy over many, many years here and I hope he takes my response to his post as an argument, not a condemnation.

= Justin
Last edited by Justin Foley on Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justin Foley
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Justin Foley on Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:50 pm

Andrew. wrote:
Justin Foley wrote:I want Warren to endorse Sanders and I hope she and he are being strategic about the timing of an announcement. If she doesn't, she'll go down a peg in my estimation of her.

Would be nice but it seems like wishful thinking at this point. It's hard to get my head around how she wouldn't endorse Sanders if she's committed to improving people's lives and defeating Trump.

But then again, it's hard for me to understand how a grown-ass Harvard professor in 2018 would publicly release DNA tests to try to prove she's 2% Cherokee to own Trump. Really stupid. She's clearly a bit of an obtuse narcissist. And working-class women have been right not to trust her. She thinks she knows better than them while in practical terms her campaign has undermined their future.

To the extent that I've looked into it, I put the genealogy thing into the minus column of my estimation of Warren, but it does not overwhelm her by any means. And I think ANYONE who runs for president is a narcissist.

As for what's working class women should believe - I'm not one and I really try not to speak on behalf of anyone that I'm not.

= Justin
Justin Foley

Postby Justin Foley on Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:52 pm

Angus Jung wrote:
Justin Foley wrote:There's a pervasive online thing where people stridently brand a whole host of public figures as being utter garbage. This is really bad. We can go back through the "Presidential candidates" threads here (or hop on Twitter for 20 seconds) and examples abound of why everyone (except maybe Sanders) is absolute trash.

It is childish.

So "The Austerity Program" is a literal tribute to Thatcher? Makes sense now.

Are you being sarcastic here? Is the joke that you're riffing on the name of my band to act like you're ignoring the point of my post?

I could read your post several different ways but have no idea which is the right one - your point is really lost on me.

= Justin
Justin Foley

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap