home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Vocalist: Mike Patton

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Vocalist: Mike Patton

Crap
50
51%
Not Crap
48
49%
 
Total votes : 98

Re: Vocalist: Mike Patton

Postby Angus Jung on Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:09 pm

warmowski wrote:I'm completely lost as to what the point is of making a basically identical clone to Walker's (well, Angela Morely's) arrangement and instrumentation.

Agreed on this. It is pretty much an exact copy. And Patton's singing, while good IMO, doesn't bring anything new to the table.

I like it overall, but "what's the point?" is a valid question.

Secret Chiefs 3, whose records I have finally gotten into after trying off and on over the years, always seemingly has arcane conceptual reasons behind everything they do. I'm not getting this one.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9166
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:04 pm
Location: High Desert

Re: Vocalist: Mike Patton

Postby placeholder on Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:37 pm

warmowski wrote:
Angus Jung wrote:This is over a year old, but I recently found out about this Mike Patton/Secret Chiefs 3 cover of the Jacques Brel/Scott Walker song "Jacky":



I like Brel and Walker, and I think Mike Patton does a perfectly good job here. The music is spot-on.


This is the least-bad thing Patton's ever done, but only by merit of sticking close to Walker's arrangement. I was expecting this to be his typical Dr. Demento horseshit.

I'll just stick with the Brel and Walker records, though.

I did try that Secret Chiefs record where they're doing fake giallo scores. I'm happy to just stick with the real thing there, too.
User avatar
placeholder
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8046
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:06 pm

Re: Vocalist: Mike Patton

Postby Seby on Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:18 pm

Absolutely loath everything he's done that I've heard. FNM are on my top ten list of bands that will make me kick in an audio system (or at the very least just leave). I love a lot of Zorn's stuff, but Mr B makes me throw up into my mouth. ("Oh my God...now they're playing a bluegrass part...it's _so_ zany!") I've not listened to much of his solo stuff, but years of being exposed to the rest in the early 90s was more than enough.
Seby
future member of don caballero
future member of don caballero
 
Posts: 922
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:24 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Vocalist: Mike Patton

Postby goatlord on Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:11 am

I really like how he sings. I don't like most of what he does, but he is a great vocalist. His "free-jazz-scat" thing doesn't grab me at all, but i don't really find it that annoying, specially after listening to tons of Boredoms. The only thing that irks me is that he seems to refuse to give Yamantaka Eye as much recognintion for his style as he deserves. He is just a swave Yamantaka, without the punk flavor, at the end of it all.

He was at his best on the California record.
YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
User avatar
goatlord
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
 
Posts: 3174
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:12 am
Location: A shitty corner of spain.

Re: Vocalist: Mike Patton

Postby japmn on Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:04 pm

placeholder wrote:
warmowski wrote:
Angus Jung wrote:This is over a year old, but I recently found out about this Mike Patton/Secret Chiefs 3 cover of the Jacques Brel/Scott Walker song "Jacky":



I like Brel and Walker, and I think Mike Patton does a perfectly good job here. The music is spot-on.


This is the least-bad thing Patton's ever done, but only by merit of sticking close to Walker's arrangement. I was expecting this to be his typical Dr. Demento horseshit.

I'll just stick with the Brel and Walker records, though.

I did try that Secret Chiefs record where they're doing fake giallo scores. I'm happy to just stick with the real thing there, too.


It is the musical equivalent of the US remake of Let The Right One In, or The Ring, or Old Boy, or take your pick. I cant stand Faith No More or Mike Patton. Mr. Bungle is terrible funk-grunge. He also seems like an insufferable prick. Crap.
User avatar
japmn
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7945
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:38 am
Location: Poutland

Re: Vocalist: Mike Patton

Postby Seby on Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:23 pm

Could not have put it better myself. 8)
Seby
future member of don caballero
future member of don caballero
 
Posts: 922
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:24 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Vocalist: Mike Patton

Postby biscuitdough on Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:57 am

In 1995, Mike Patton was the first person to ever be diagnosed as down with the sickness. He was Typhoid Mary in a terrible epidemic of nü metal 'artists' who alternated whining with death growls and occasional background cooing. Fuck this terrible man and his innumerable misdeeds.
User avatar
biscuitdough
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
 
Posts: 2287
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:28 pm

Re: Vocalist: Mike Patton

Postby Major on Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:37 am

goatlord wrote:He was at his best on the California record.


Yes. Such a great record.
User avatar
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6663
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:19 am
Location: Great question

Re: Vocalist: Mike Patton

Postby Gramsci on Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:09 pm

I don't get the venom with some people. Patton seems a nice enough guy, does a lot but rarely dangling himself in front of people. Done some very cool stuff and some that doesn't interest me.

Not Crap
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
User avatar
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer
 
Posts: 10482
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:43 am
Location: The People's Republic

Re: Vocalist: Mike Patton

Postby agiant on Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:37 pm

Clearest NC ever.

phpBB [media]
blah
User avatar
agiant
egyptian
egyptian
 
Posts: 850
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:44 am
Location: Madrid

Re: Vocalist: Mike Patton

Postby rayword45 on Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:11 pm

I'll refrain from voting.

California is a wonderful, wonderful album and he's done a few other things I've enjoyed (some singles, Disco Volante, The Director's Cut). Nobody could ever deny his amazing vocal abilities either.

However, the man knows no quality control. Many point to his solo albums consisting of nothing but gurgling noises as a low point, but instead I'll point to everything pre-Angel Dust. Fuck that disgusting wannabe rapist frat music for dumbasses, I resent the fact I used to enjoy the Bungle debut wholeheartedly.

On a personal level, who cares? Most of the dickish things he does seem petty and glib, but I'd cut the man a break for having to put up with Anthony Kiedis' bullshit for a decade.
User avatar
rayword45
agnes martin
agnes martin
 
Posts: 771
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:54 pm

Re: Vocalist: Mike Patton

Postby Gramsci on Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:29 pm

rayword45 wrote:
However, the man knows no quality control...


That's a good thing. It's called experimenting and not being afraid to fail - in his case very publicly - I have zero problem with him putting out a lot of work, some of it I've pretty much skipped through the whole record and thought "next..."

I also think that because Epic was such a monster hit people frame him around that very short period of his "career", they guy was like 18 and suddenly thrust from playing with friends in bars to stadiums in a couple of months. On the Real Thing I hear a guy trying to do what he thinks expected of him. Just think about the transition from...

this

phpBB [media]


to this in year or so

phpBB [media]


I have a feeling the Mike at the top is much less the "real thing" than the guy at the bottom
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
User avatar
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer
 
Posts: 10482
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:43 am
Location: The People's Republic

Re: Vocalist: Mike Patton

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:19 pm

The album was all written except for the vocals when he joined the band, wasn't it?
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9595
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:27 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Vocalist: Mike Patton

Postby Gramsci on Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:25 pm

Anthony Flack wrote:The album was all written except for the vocals when he joined the band, wasn't it?


Yeah, from memory even recorded as well. Patton's parts are the weakest IMO. Not really the "what" but the "how". I actually enjoy about 50% of The Real Thing but Patton's fratboy/rapper delivery is trying to say the least...

Case point this version of Epic on the King for a Day tour (which I saw in Wellington) which is a million times more listenable than it a few years easier... this is very odd because Patton seemed to practically disown the song post Angel Dust. I've seen them play a lot and never seen them play it. The later delivery could have been on Angel Dust...

phpBB [media]
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
User avatar
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer
 
Posts: 10482
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:43 am
Location: The People's Republic

Re: Vocalist: Mike Patton

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:31 pm

Gramsci wrote:I actually enjoy about 50% of The Real Thing but Patton's fratboy/rapper delivery is trying to say the least...


I'm sure I remember him saying that he hated the way he sang on that album. "A guy trying to do what he thinks expected of him" is probably dead right. And he hadn't been in the band long enough to really know how he wanted to sound, or how he wanted to not sound.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9595
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:27 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Vocalist: Mike Patton

Postby numberthirty on Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:35 pm

Anthony Flack wrote:
Gramsci wrote:I actually enjoy about 50% of The Real Thing but Patton's fratboy/rapper delivery is trying to say the least...


I'm sure I remember him saying that he hated the way he sang on that album. "A guy trying to do what he thinks expected of him" is probably dead right. And he hadn't been in the band long enough to really know how he wanted to sound, or how he wanted to not sound.


He was also what, twenty, when they made that record? I don't expect everyone to be Alex Chilton singing "The Letter".
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
User avatar
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 20438
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:28 am

Re: Vocalist: Mike Patton

Postby DrAwkward on Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:51 pm

Gramsci wrote:Case point this version of Epic on the King for a Day tour (which I saw in Wellington) which is a million times more listenable than it a few years easier... this is very odd because Patton seemed to practically disown the song post Angel Dust. I've seen them play a lot and never seen them play it. The later delivery could have been on Angel Dust...


Huh, seriously? I've only gotten to see them twice, but they played "Epic" both times. What was funny each time was that you could almost sense in the crowd a vibe of "guys, it's ok, we don't need you to play 'the hit.'"
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
User avatar
DrAwkward
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus
 
Posts: 12010
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:03 am
Location: SEWI

Re: Vocalist: Mike Patton

Postby Gramsci on Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:59 pm

DrAwkward wrote:
Gramsci wrote:Case point this version of Epic on the King for a Day tour (which I saw in Wellington) which is a million times more listenable than it a few years easier... this is very odd because Patton seemed to practically disown the song post Angel Dust. I've seen them play a lot and never seen them play it. The later delivery could have been on Angel Dust...


Huh, seriously? I've only gotten to see them twice, but they played "Epic" both times. What was funny each time was that you could almost sense in the crowd a vibe of "guys, it's ok, we don't need you to play 'the hit.'"


Well, the plural of anecdote isn't data so maybe I've just been un/lucky?

What tours btw?
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
User avatar
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer
 
Posts: 10482
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:43 am
Location: The People's Republic

Re: Vocalist: Mike Patton

Postby DrAwkward on Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:28 pm

The last Album of the Year tour in 1998, and then one of the reunion shows in Los Angeles in 2010. Both times they played "Epic" and i swear to god the prevailing feeling in the crowd was "ok, let's get through this one." Other than that both shows were excellent.

I also don't get the venom directed toward him. Not your bag, fine, but it's not like he's Billy Corgan over here. I once read an interview with him in some guitar magazine once where the interviewer asked him about FNM influencing so many nu-metal bands, and his response was "really? Because most of them are terrible, so i wish they wouldn't say that."
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
User avatar
DrAwkward
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus
 
Posts: 12010
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:03 am
Location: SEWI

Re: Vocalist: Mike Patton

Postby rayword45 on Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:40 pm

Remember that also around the era of Epic came the Bungle debut.

And while there are a few good cuts on that album, most is atrocious lecherous funk metal dreck disguising itself as experimental.
User avatar
rayword45
agnes martin
agnes martin
 
Posts: 771
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:54 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], RSMurphy and 17 guests