crap/not crap

not crap
86%
crap
14%

Total votes : 204

Re: Band: The Beatles..........

Postby Angus Jung on Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:11 am

Me Again wrote:Also impressive is when Paul and George would be singing back-up vocals, and they'd do that "woo" or "ooh" thing wherein they manically shake their heads side to side really quick

Listen to the fucking screams in the crowd every time they did that. They were literally making girls/young women come with that shit.

No band before or since has ever had the sexual power over their audience that the Beatles had. Not even close.

I read a story once about all the girls who would piss themselves during Beatles shows, and how disgustingly urine-soaked the floor was after their early shows.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Me Again on Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:48 am

Have been to a few "rowdy" shows and seen some "unhinged" behavior and revelry, but nothing like that. There's just no contemporary equivalent to Beatlemania, despite countless pop stars. There never will be.

Seeing the Beatles live as they rose to greater and greater heights would be like being in the theater the first time the Lumière Brothers film L'arrivée d'un train en gare de La Ciotat played before an audience, when people apparently thought the train was coming at them through the screen.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby Madman Munt on Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:43 am

Angus Jung wrote:
Me Again wrote:Also impressive is when Paul and George would be singing back-up vocals, and they'd do that "woo" or "ooh" thing wherein they manically shake their heads side to side really quick

Listen to the fucking screams in the crowd every time they did that. They were literally making girls/young women come with that shit.

No band before or since has ever had the sexual power over their audience that the Beatles had. Not even close.

I read a story once about all the girls who would piss themselves during Beatles shows, and how disgustingly urine-soaked the floor was after their early shows.

That is one of the most disgusting things I have ever read on a premier rock forum.

It almost spoiled my day! Certainly put me off my morning tea.
Madman Munt
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Postby Me Again on Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:54 am

At least now we all know what they meant when they sang "We all live in a yellow submarine."
Me Again

Postby Bernardo on Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:42 pm

Me Again wrote:At least now we all know what they meant when they sang "We all live in a yellow submarine."

HOF
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby matthew on Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:43 pm

Me Again wrote:That's what I mean. There would be thousands of hysterical adolescent girls, whose ear-piercing screams drowned out nearly everything. The Beatles would be playing through a tiny p.a., sometimes with no monitors. And yet the band could hit every high note, just about, and be in tune with each other. Pretty impressive.

That's not far off from the account my mom has given of the Beatles concert she attended at Comiskey Park (or "Sox Park" as she calls it being a North Sider) back in 1960-something (1966, I think.).
...diesque nostros in tua pace disponas...
matthew
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Madman Munt on Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:54 pm

I still have urine on my mind, but perhaps I'll leave that for another occasion.

I watched this recently and enjoyed it:

phpBB [media]

It's funny though, some of these "great" Beatles songs just leave me cold, while I can hardly think of anything better than Strawberry Fields or I Am The Walrus.
Madman Munt
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Postby Redline on Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:23 am

Feminist writer attacks the Beatles’ Sgt Pepper for ‘taking pop music away from girls and making it the music of men’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... epper.html
Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Redline on Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:29 am

Madman Munt wrote:I still have urine on my mind, but perhaps I'll leave that for another occasion.

I watched this recently and enjoyed it:

phpBB [media]

It's funny though, some of these "great" Beatles songs just leave me cold, while I can hardly think of anything better than Strawberry Fields or I Am The Walrus.

"F7 is a wobbly chord..."..Thanks, that was a fun watch.
Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby zircona1 on Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:58 am

C'mon, not crap.

In some songwriting circles, one of the rules is KISS - Keep it Simple, Stupid. I know that not everyone likes pop songs, but I'm always impressed when someone can create a memorable song from just a few notes - this is why 'Hurt' is my favorite Nine Inch Nails song - Lennon and McCarthy were/are both masters at this, they knew the magic formula to make a good pop song.

Beatles songs I never get tired of hearing: A Day in the Life, The Night Before, Please Please Me, You Won't See Me, Eleanor Rigby.
- "Whatever happened to that album?"
- "I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall, and it like, shattered."
zircona1
walter mondale
walter mondale

Postby Redline on Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:32 am

zircona1 wrote:
A Day in the Life

I've been listening to that a lot. The bass playing and drumming were revolutionary.
Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby sulfur)addict on Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:42 am

Redline wrote:Feminist writer attacks the Beatles’ Sgt Pepper for ‘taking pop music away from girls and making it the music of men’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... epper.html

lol

I side with the sex-crazed teenage girls' music taste, never knew that was feminism.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Anthony Flack on Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:34 pm

Madman Munt wrote:I watched this recently and enjoyed it:

phpBB [media]

I do like Howard Goodall's nerdy music theory shows.

But he makes it sound like the Beatles singlehandedly rediscovered tonal music. It's not like the Everly Brothers didn't know how to modulate around a 7th chord, you know? And using plagal cadences and composing in dorian probably didn't seem too revolutionary to the likes of Duke Ellington. There was more going on in the world than just Stockhausen and Rock Around The Clock.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby jakethesnake on Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:37 pm

Anthony Flack wrote:
Madman Munt wrote:I watched this recently and enjoyed it:

phpBB [media]

I do like Howard Goodall's nerdy music theory shows.

But he makes it sound like the Beatles singlehandedly rediscovered tonal music. It's not like the Everly Brothers didn't know how to modulate around a 7th chord, you know? And using plagal cadences and composing in dorian probably didn't seem too revolutionary to the likes of Duke Ellington. There was more going on in the world than just Stockhausen and Rock Around The Clock.

Agreed; that side of mop-tops cult really piss me off; like, isn't it enough that they were ace songwriters and, like, Biggest Band ever, do they have to be inventors and major innovators too?

Fact is that history is written by the winners and the farther we get from the 60's (not to mention 50's, 40's etc.), the more "everyone" else (at least in popular music) from said era or earlier will be reduced to nothing but a prop; kind of like how US 80's indie/post-hardcore became reduced to a "road to Nirvana" thing rather than something powerful on its own terms in the early 90's critic mainstream...
jakethesnake
crate
crate

Postby Redline on Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:58 pm

George Martinz kid talks about remixing Sgt. Peppers

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/20 ... t-explains
Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Madman Munt on Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:14 pm

Anthony Flack wrote:I do like Howard Goodall's nerdy music theory shows.

He's just done a new one on Sgt. Pep. Have you read his Story of Music book? It might be the best intro to the History of Western Music I've read. Highly recommended to all. I ignore all his opinions, however.

jakethesnake wrote:like, isn't it enough that they were ace songwriters and, like, Biggest Band ever, do they have to be inventors and major innovators too?

But they were!

Redline wrote:George Martinz kid talks about remixing Sgt. Peppers

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/20 ... t-explains

Thanks! Very interesting. Worth a listen.
Madman Munt
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:49 pm

Madman Munt wrote:Have you read his Story of Music book? It might be the best intro to the History of Western Music I've read.

No I haven't - thanks for the recommendation. I distinctly remember one of his TV series around 20 years ago being the first time I learned how the 12 note scale was derived from ascending fifths, and the slight problem of how it doesn't quite fit, which he explained rather well.

Though I wouldn't trust his opinions either, and the QI theme is a dreadful piece of music.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Redline on Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:27 pm

Sgt. Pepper re-mix = wow, Getting Better sounds way....Better...
Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Me Again on Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:46 pm

From the comments section of a post pertaining to Billy Joel commenting on The Beatles, from the official Beatles page on Facebook:

The Beatle mania was due in very large part to hitting the scene in the wake of the JFK assassination. Remember the Beatles released singles here in the U.S prior to the JFK assassination that went nowhere. During their first U.S concert in D.C Paul famously introduces I Saw Her Standing There ( I think) and he say's so. The Beatles appearance on Ed Sullivan was deliberately a calculated booking intended to lift a nations spirts and with only 3 TV stations in 1964 & Sullivan being the highest rated TV show in that time slot it was a "slam dunk", great advance work by radio & TV and of course The Beatles. Lennon said that people weren't going crazy over the Beatles but rather the Beatles gave people an excuse to go crazy (paraphrase) WOW ! Lennon meant vent, they were a pressure release valve.The psychology of the Beatles could fill a library, it was a social-entertainment phenomenon the likes of which the world will probably never experience again.
Me Again

Postby Anthony Flack on Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:16 pm

Beatlemaniamania?

The music was alright, but what we really enjoyed was the opportunity to go out, scream and piss our pants.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap