Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:39 am

Ok so then one day there was this

phpBB [media]
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Re: Band: The Beatles..........

Postby goatlord on Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:47 am

Do you remember the exploding brain meme thing? I made my version of it to explain the different phases I went through re: Beatles.

P.D: And after posting this I went and voted crap by mistake because I'M A FUCKING MESS.
YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
goatlord
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby wellbutrin on Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:49 pm

I just read the Geoff Emerick book. Incredibly interesting if not a little Paul-sided. Really made me want to get the mono reissues of the early records and a mono cartridge and just take a day with it all.
wellbutrin
vishnu
vishnu

Postby Redline on Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:20 pm

Multiple whitey album overload...Yay!
https://www.stereogum.com/2015791/beatl ... ssue/news/
Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby seanurban on Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:51 am

Not Guilty (Take 102)

102 takes and it didn't even make the (double) album! He must have been really guilty.
seanurban
King High

Postby Redline on Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:03 pm

seanurban wrote:
Not Guilty (Take 102)

102 takes and it didn't even make the (double) album! He must have been really guilty.

Yeah, great riff, meh-song, he had better stuff that didn't make the cut anyway. Sour Milk Sea was better than Piggies. It should've been on there.
Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby oZZma on Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:28 am

I never cared for them, I appreciate (but don't "love") a bunch of songs, and fiercely hate many.
Their cult on the other hand, in my eyes is as grotesque as the Elvis' one, with all that nostalgia cheesy stuff and the bombastic overstatements like "the greatest blah blah blah ever".
vade retro Santana
oZZma
frugal gourmet
frugal gourmet

Postby Me Again on Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:09 am

I like the high points of The Kinks, Jacques Dutronc, The Zombies, Hendrix, and The Shocking Blue more, as far as bands of a somewhat similar nature go. But The Beatles are still compelling on the whole.

I think the trick is to skip around a bit. Not all of their LPs are great all of the way through. And yeah, they wrote a few too many love songs, sometimes as if they were almost on autopilot or something---it can get old if you hear too many of them in a row, for a sustained period of time.

But brilliant moments bubble up frequently through their discography, especially when they started experimenting a bit more and changing things up. And they played well together--to me, a song like "And Your Bird Can Sing" has some serious shredding for a non-heavy mid-tempo rock track.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby El Protoolio on Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:22 pm

Picked up the remixed Abbey Road LP yesterday. It’s great. Very tasteful and super heavy low end compared to the original.

NOT CRAP
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby tallchris on Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:45 pm

Did anyone else grow up listening to Abbey Road on cassette with the slightly different track listing? "Come Together" and "Here Comes The Sun" are swapped so that CT opens side B and HCTS opens side A. That's still how I naturally hear this and it's always weird to open with "Come Together".

New remix sounds great!
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Mr. Chimp on Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:31 pm

tallchris wrote:Did anyone else grow up listening to Abbey Road on cassette with the slightly different track listing? "Come Together" and "Here Comes The Sun" are swapped so that CT opens side B and HCTS opens side A. That's still how I naturally hear this and it's always weird to open with "Come Together".

New remix sounds great!

I dubbed Abbey Road onto a cassette and eliminated Come Together entirely. Starting with I Want You is incredibly satisfying.

Later, I burned Abbey Road and Let It Be onto one disc by eliminating Come Together, Octopus's Garden, Let It Be and Get Back. That was a great listen.

New version of Abbey Road is amazing. Very happy I waited this long to get it on vinyl.
It's like you put everything into a bottle inside itself.

I drum Light Coma & Bully Pulpit & Andrew Cohen & Light Coma
I bass Small Awesome
Mr. Chimp
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Pure L on Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:07 pm

I've always thought that Come Together is the worst Beatles song. I don't like it one bit.

The only way it's worse is when I have to hear the Aerosmith version.
Pure L
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby ErikG on Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:28 pm

There are some bad Beatles songs but "Come Together" is not one of them.

I do agree that the Aerosmith version is a rough listen.
ErikG
ben franklin
ben franklin

Postby wellsyuk on Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:13 am

Yeah enjoying this re-release so far. 'I Want You' sounds dark, great song. And, just found out it was one of the last songs to be finished, with all four Beatles together in the studio
wellsyuk
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby andteater on Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:50 am

Mr. Chimp wrote:
tallchris wrote:Did anyone else grow up listening to Abbey Road on cassette with the slightly different track listing? "Come Together" and "Here Comes The Sun" are swapped so that CT opens side B and HCTS opens side A. That's still how I naturally hear this and it's always weird to open with "Come Together".

New remix sounds great!

I dubbed Abbey Road onto a cassette and eliminated Come Together entirely. Starting with I Want You is incredibly satisfying.

Later, I burned Abbey Road and Let It Be onto one disc by eliminating Come Together, Octopus's Garden, Let It Be and Get Back. That was a great listen.

New version of Abbey Road is amazing. Very happy I waited this long to get it on vinyl.

i believe i did this as well because as a kid, that song scared the shit out of me.

now it is one of my favorites. just a total badass song, which explains the fear it created.

went to see LOVE at the Mirage a few years ago in Vegas and they open with Come Together just blasting and it is spooky as hell. all that low end. delicious.
andteater
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby numberthirty on Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:35 am

New remix sounds great!

Seems like it was.

I'd guess they worked out a track order that would come the closest to preserving the sequencing while not leaving a bunch of blank space on a side? I'd imagine it might also save a minimal amount of cassette tape cost not having a stretch of blank tape.

From a Discogs cassette entry...

Note "Here Comes The Sun" and "Come Together" are swapped compared to original LP and most releases

Edit: Maybe it's not about blank space? Could be the closest version that won't run over a cassette side's run time?
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby biscuitdough on Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:35 am

The famous Beatles, notable for their pioneering use of the compressor in music recording.
biscuitdough

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap