crap/not crap

not crap
86%
crap
14%

Total votes : 211

Re:

Postby tmidgett on Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:27 pm

Mr. Chimp, a long time ago, wrote:Not crap for a million reasons.

Want one? The last two minutes of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)."

Had a delightful moment in Japan a few years ago, walking around Osaka.

Heard an unbelievably thick riff pouring out of some speakers outside a store. Literally stopped me in my tracks. What the fuck is THAT?

After a bit, I realized it was the end of I Want You. It was thrilling. Like I'd heard it for the first time.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Re: Band: The Beatles..........

Postby Teacher's Pet on Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:04 pm

kerble wrote:Ordered the remix of Abbey Road after hearing about how great it is a dozen times from different people. Thoughts on the recent remixes of White album and Pepper? Worth it?

I got the new Abbey Road 2xCD as a gift; the 2nd disc of alternate/early versions is ridiculously fun to listen to for a Beatle nerd such as myself. Paul is such a fucking good bass player it's obscene.

Also, Abbey Road is just really, really good, apart from some of those dumb ones on Side 1.
Teacher's Pet
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby Redline on Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:05 pm

kerble wrote:Ordered the remix of Abbey Road after hearing about how great it is a dozen times from different people. Thoughts on the recent remixes of White album and Pepper? Worth it?

Abbey Road re-do = The drums sound like they were recorded yesterday at Electrical Audio Recording. Totally worth it. The cd of out-takes is essential.

I Want You (She's So Heavy)… "Last chance to be loud!"
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a ... les-martin

For the MONO lp reissues, the best ones are in the Mono Box - mastered from the tape to the lp with no digital monkey business. They should sell them separately, but I'm not sure if they do.
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby kerble on Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:42 pm

Thanks, all! The mono LPs are in collector scum prices right now. Gonna enjoy Abbey Road for the time being (shows up Monday), and go from there.

Also, for some reason, this terse response really made me laugh today:

tmidgett wrote:Great band.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby El Protoolio on Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:20 am

The monos are available individually. Same analog masters, same pressings, just a la carte. Those are the ones I have and was referring to. They sound amazing.

Abbey Road and Let It Be of course are not available in mono because they never were.

Yikes, I checked discogs for the same version of Revolver I have and kerble is right, collector scum prices. They're still in stores, at least here in Minneapolis at Electric Fetus or Cheapo, for $22-25, $35 for the White Album. I should go buy them all up and resell them.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/6074863?ev=rb

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/6075023?ev=rb

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/6061151?ev=rb
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Re: Re:

Postby Christopher on Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:09 pm

tmidgett wrote:

Heard an unbelievably thick riff pouring out of some speakers outside a store. Literally stopped me in my tracks. What the fuck is THAT?

After a bit, I realized it was the end of I Want You. It was thrilling. Like I'd heard it for the first time.

Not generally a fan of WW-related stuff, but I appreciate the idea behind this.
I guitar Conformists.
Christopher
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby TomWanderer on Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:12 am

Yep, thanks for the last few posts to help jog my memory...the White Album version I was referring to earlier is from the 2014 mono vinyl reissues. It really does sound superb. I'm going to need to check out the new LP version of Abbey Road. All I have at this point is an OG copy I've had since I was a kid that's charmingly beat...but I think I need to hear this new version.
TomWanderer
benny binion
benny binion

Postby kerble on Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:19 pm

TomWanderer wrote:Yep, thanks for the last few posts to help jog my memory...the White Album version I was referring to earlier is from the 2014 mono vinyl reissues. It really does sound superb. I'm going to need to check out the new LP version of Abbey Road. All I have at this point is an OG copy I've had since I was a kid that's charmingly beat...but I think I need to hear this new version.

Let me add to the chorus of it sounding great, then. From my limited understanding, the old LP masters were bounced down from multiple four-track takes as was the technology of the time. whereas with this mix, every track was brought up individually with no bounce down muddiness. Sounds pristine, and really rich. Great drums and bass definition, for sure. Definitely sounds better than my ages old LP.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby TomWanderer on Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:44 am

Thanks man, I'm on it. Hope to grab it at my local shop this weekend.
TomWanderer
benny binion
benny binion

Postby Redline on Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:06 pm

El Protoolio wrote:
The monos are available individually. Same analog masters, same pressings, just a la carte.

That makes me happy.
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Re: Re:

Postby Mr. Chimp on Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:44 pm

Christopher wrote:
tmidgett wrote:

Not generally a fan of WW-related stuff, but I appreciate the idea behind this.

!

Also, TM, I didn't hear Abbey Road under focused listening conditions or, frankly, otherwise until my mid 20's with a head full of yooth music opinions & jive. I'm certain I experienced much the same WTF!! is this thing re: (She's So Heavy), minus the Japan bit, and this put me directly onto Abbey Road/Let It Be piece from a page or so ago.
It's like you put everything into a bottle inside itself.

I drum Light Coma & Bully Pulpit & Andrew Cohen & Light Coma
I bass Small Awesome
Mr. Chimp
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby skoz on Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:09 pm

I think I might prefer the original I want you (she’s so heavy) over the 50th remix. I’d need to listen to them back to back but it seems like they dropped the moog noise way down in the mix and defanged it a little bit. Still a great song but I recall it having a bit more bite.
skoz
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby Redline on Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:01 pm

Brothers working it out. For 49 minutes. It's still worth it.
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby El Protoolio on Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:41 pm

I just spent the last week listening to all the Beatles albums plus the three recent remix albums plus the two singles comps, one stereo one mono, and god damn those mono mixes sound sweet. They are all about the bass. Especially Revolver, Sgt Peppers and the Magical Mystery Tour LP. God damn.

I listened to Sgt Peppers, The Beatles, and Abbey Road twice each today. Original vs remix, mono vs stereo for the fist two.

After giving both a few spins now I still prefer the mono Peppers to the new stereo remix. The stereo remix is good and I prefer it over the old stereo mixes I grew up with. I'd say the mono mix is the foundation of the new mix. They're both about the bass but again the mono mix's low end is just so sweeeeeet

I still haven't decided about the two versions of the White Album, it's definitely cleaner and I have heard a few things I never did before in all the remixes, like someone humming under a vocal line. Pretty cool.

The Abbey Road remix sounds so clean and smooth. It's also a bit louder overall then my 2012 stereo remaster. You can hear effects turning on and off in You Never Gave Me Your Money, and crickets chirping and other effects at the start of Sun King. Stuff I had never heard before. I Want You is clearly the winner and champion of all the remixes on Abbey Road. It sounds the best I have ever heard it sound. Helps that it's my favorite song of the album.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby bart favre on Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:16 pm

I've known the Beatles my whole life, but only now am I "studying" them. Having just read Geoffrey Emerick's book, I was curious to do the deep dive.

Early thoughts:
-Does anyone else agree (aside from a few great songs) that the White Album sucks? If it doesn't suck, it's at least annoying and corny in many ways. I guess for some reason, I had it in my head that It was legendary, but I just keep skipping songs on this record.

-Abbey Road is perfect if you you took off Maxwell's Silver Hammer and Octopus's Garden. I hate those two songs.
bart favre
paul schaffer
paul schaffer

Postby Redline on Mon May 25, 2020 10:49 am

I love The White Album, especially after Sgt. Peppers. It's organic. It would also be a great single lp, but songs that would be used are things to argue about.

I'm going to watch this sometime this week...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l-e7X19E2s&t=620s
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap