Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

crap/not crap

not crap
86%
crap
14%

Total votes : 211

Postby Johnny 13 on Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:33 pm

This has to be a repeat, cause I remember voting crap last time.

Stupid crappy Beatles. I wish they had specialized in some form of sweaty labor that kept them too tired to pick up guitars at night.
Johnny 13
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby DazeyDiver on Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:02 pm

Sorry to bump this dead horse, but I read Mark Prindle's fantastically-put take on the Beatles and it's a pretty good summation of my feelings toward this band:

mark prindle wrote:I've heard folks mutter that only somebody with no imagination would consider The Beatles to be their favorite band of all time. Like, it's the "generic" choice, so only a generic person would make it. But see, here's the rub: it's really, really hard to knock the melodic smarts that they put into roughly 80% of their material. I've been intimately familiar (having sex) with the majority of their catalog since I was 6 years old and hardly ever get the proactive urge to put it on, but whenever I accidentally back into one of their songs while out on the town, it's like I'm hearing it for the first time. The harmonies, the pep, the neat voices, the time spent on delivering hummable vocal melodies -- the Beatles had it. I mean, REALLY had it. They could be a bit too novelty-esque at times, but even their novelty tunes were fairly catchy. By all accounts they should bore me stiff by this point in my life, but here I am listening to the Let It Be material in a different order with a slightly different mix and it is blowing me away like I've never heard it before! Those ridiculous stomping leaps up the guitar neck in "I Dig A Pony," the angelic guitar notes and hopeful McCartney vocals at the beginning of "I've Got A Feeling," George's light wispy vocal during the verses of "I Me Mine" - "flowing more freely than wine!" The choogling guitar rhythms and fun-as-hell bass line of "One Over 909." These are pieces of timeless art that I love today as much as I did yesterday and for roughly half of the day before that. Prior to that date, and since birth, I have loathed The Beatles, as I will do again in five minutes and for the rest of my life. Fuck you, Ringo!
Ty Webb wrote:Hieronymous Bosch buttfuck

majorbarger.bandcamp.com

Es ist alles lächerlich, wenn man an den Tod denkt
DazeyDiver
haskell wexler
haskell wexler

Postby Your Cap'n Speakin' on Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:05 pm

You've got your Mr. Starky in my Mr. Torkelson!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fCTni8Zpm34
Your Cap'n Speakin'
julia roberts
julia roberts

Postby Sebastian J. on Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:35 am

they're ok. Some waffles cuz they're, you know, the beatles
Sebastian J.
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Re: Band: The Beatles..........

Postby kenoki on Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:36 pm

in PRF's history, only 3 pages devoted to the beatles' crap/not crap... the conspiracy theorist in me is already drafting theories.

not crap
kenoki
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby SecondEdition on Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:40 pm

well, what can you really say about the beatles that hasn't been said before?
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Pibroch on Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:54 pm

Not Crap, obviously. Thank you G.G. Allin!!!!!!
Marsupialized wrote:Let me just empty my balls with joy.

johnfernandez wrote:i am playing this game in my friends home.this is fantastic ever
game
Pibroch
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby calhern on Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:48 pm

They introduced rock to the "concept album," so that gives them an automatic CRAP for me.

I know this was posted 7 years ago, but this just irks me. Frank Zappa introduced the concept album, not The Beatles
calhern
linus pauling
linus pauling

Postby ImDADA on Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:43 am

I guess not everyone can like The Beatles but sometimes it feels like it might be a bit of a naughty thing to say for some.

Some embarrassing moments but obviously Not Crap.
Blue.
ImDADA
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Bill Swansea on Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:23 am

Not crap despite my occasional anti-social thoughts of "fuck the Beatles" that the British music press forces me to think.
big_dave wrote:Hark at this boy and his "we".

He was Welsh yesterday.
Bill Swansea
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby sawtooth on Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:57 am

not crap, no waffles. even all the classic rock fascist shitheads the worship these guys can't make me dislike them. all that extraneous shit is not their problem. they were an interesting and diverse collection of musicians that allowed their imaginations to go nuts at a certain point. they definitely released some stinkers in their day but who hasn't?

i feel like dismissing their early work sometimes too, but there is some facinating super-cool guitar shit going on in those songs, like they are figuring out different ways to fill out the rhythm and harmony elements that would usually go to horns or something.

all that stuff with academics and musicologists trying to "legitimize" the beatles in musical and lyrical terms during their run in the sixties was pretty hilarious to john lennon. the acid babble jibberish lyrics of "i am the walrus" may have been a response to this. john had a great sense of humor.
the three-lobed burning eye
sawtooth
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby enframed on Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:31 pm

I got into an argument with my friend about The Beatles just yesterday. He insists that one cannot find them merely OK (same for The Rolling Stones). I disagree. I like them fine, they are not crap, and I understand they changed the nature of celebrity and popular music, but I don't often find myself wanting to listen to the four or five albums I have, and they don't have a lot of "meaning" to me. I'd rather listen to Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin than The Beatles.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Minotaur029 on Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:49 pm

"As Seen on TV": A Beatles Tribute To Doing It Wrong

The above is pretty funny, but probably would be better suited to the "Seriously Compressing The Dumbshit" thread.
Minotaur029
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Daveksvplot on Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:29 am

I'm not a "Beatles guy" by any means, but "I'm Looking Through You" alone earns them a Not Crap.

C'mon!
Daveksvplot
jerry seinfeld
jerry seinfeld

Postby Control Z on Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:32 am

NC
Control Z
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby fishingrhod on Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:37 am

i think it's often a case of familiarity breeds undeserved contempt.

my first instinct was to vote NC but with a high waffle factor because of all the nauseating twonkery that goes along with them - constant referencing by successors; the uncritical attitude towards 60s culture by many people, of which they were of course the creative pinnacle (really?); Brit-culture nationalism; the tendency for them to overshadow other great bands; Oasis.

but they were pretty good and they can't help the above. personally speaking i think Revolver is pretty magnificent and can listen to most of their material with pleasure. but then i am an adult/parent thing now i suppose, sonny.
boxer wrote:Once my friend dreamt he was eating an apple and awoke to find my cock in his mouth.
fishingrhod
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby 2207 on Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:48 am

I've always quite liked Sgt Peppers.

I have to endure that ginger tosser on Radio 2 to wake me up from Monday to Friday. Every Monday, he starts off with a Beatles song or two. I've got to admit that they sound a lot more listenable on a small digital radio than they did on my parent's dodgy, glass (smoked) door fronted stacking stereo system.

At this point in my life, I have to vote Not Crap as they produced some quality songs, but there's a lot of nonsense and hype that runs along side my vote.
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Major on Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:53 pm

I have been trying to expose my kids to lots of music lately. They love Sloan, Guided By Voices, Can, Ted Leo...but I realized they'd never heard a note of The Beatles.

I've never been a big fan other than Revolver so I decided to download their catalog and see what the kids think.

We're going to dinner last night and my mother is with us. I put on With The Beatles. The kids said, "This music is terrible, change it". Then my mom says, "I never liked The Beatles". Must be genetics.

I put on Beak> and everybody was happy.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Adam Sr on Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:17 pm

It's amazing to think all their major releases happened within a seven year period. Obviously, they worked together as a band for a few years before, and many releases came after, but the 'living' Beatles discography, seven years. Incredible.
Adam Sr

Postby etch on Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:34 pm

Not Crap!
etch

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap