crap/not crap

not crap
86%
crap
14%

Total votes : 211

Re: Band: The Beatles..........

Postby hellholiday on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:17 pm

Not crap alone for 'She Loves You'. Perfect rock song. The 'yeah yeah yeahs' had that manic joyfulness that set off the sixties.

BUT............

I cannot stand watching any interview with McCartney. Everything he fuckin says is with a 'nudge, nudge, wink, wink' taint that makes me want to spit on him.

Hell for me would a Las Vegas Dennys at 4am. You show up there after unloading a van of equipment that was never used because the show you had been booked on kept adding pop punk bands until close. The waitress informs you all they have to drink is lemonade and you will have to share a booth. She leads you through a maze of miserable gamblers, moons over my hammy and renaissance carpeting to the booth. Sitting down already is Paul McCartney, Steve Allen, Harmony Korine and Tom Arnold. And you have to sit in the middle.
hellholiday
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby whoisalhedges on Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:46 pm

Don't care much for Pepper (most overrated album ever?) compared to other Beatles' albums - it's probably better than A Hard Day's Night and Yellow Submarine, otherwise it's my least favorite Beatles album. Compared to 99% of other records out there, it's genius.

Hate hate HATE "Yellow Submarine." Kids song? Fuck you, I'd rather listen to Raffi. That song keeps Revolver from being a perfect album. Still, the trio of Help! - Rubber Soul - Revolver is as good a three album stretch as any band has ever had.

The Beatles would be better as a single album. Too much detritus on there.

Beatles for Sale and Let It Be are underrated. I like those records a lot.

They never made a BAD album. Really only a few BAD songs. Without the Beatles, your favorite band would probably not exist.

Not crap. Not perfect, but not crap. :WF: 0. Come the fuck on.

They get called the greatest band ever - I don't necessarily think they're the BEST, but greatness involves quantitative factors as well as qualitative. Any artist who can possibly claim to be better than the Beatles had nowhere near the influence - hell, they were influenced BY the Beatles. The fucking Velvet Underground was influenced by the Beatles. The Ramones. Big Star, obviously. I imagine forum member steve spent many a formative youthful night spinning Beatles records. Again: unless your favorite band predates the Beatles, they would likely not exist if not for the fucking goddamn cunting Beatles, and that is NOT CRAP.

A world in which the Beatles never existed is a world in which the Kingston Trio is the most influential group ever. Fuck that world.
"Country music must go on!" -- Austin J. Hall, September 11, 2001
whoisalhedges
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Location: Where they put chili on spaghetti, BBQ sauce on kielbasa, and men on the moon.

Postby fredrock on Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:59 pm

I came to them with a fairly broad appreciation of the 300 years of musical history which preceded them.
I can't think of another pop band who embraced and reflected those influences better than The Beatles.
Clueless attempts to blame them for the sometimes malodorous evolution of pop/rock music since then are ridiculous IMHO.
Don't like their music?
Fine, but don't try to dump all that's wrong with music onto their wagon.
They did not write the rules nor design the paradigm for media and musical marketing in their day or any subsequent era.
They were principally a rock group; and a damn good one at that.
When it came to wide appreciation of what came before, they were all ears.

Let's search for possible influences in this;
A minimalist song from the backwaters of their catalog (granted it is from SPLHCB )
3 instruments and vox.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0I2ZrBuFdQ
Harpsichord as principal instrument ala Bach.
Hi hat (and ONLY hi hat-ETA + a couple snare taps)-Krupa, Rich; maybe akin to Ellington's Perdido?
Maybe a little Satin Doll in the progression?
Bass= musical figures of "3" laid over bars of "4" common in passages from Show tunes _Rodgers and Hammerstein in particular (I am 16 or I'm in Love with a Wonderful Guy)
Vox and guitar solos are very Arabesque in style (rather than Indian raga) with fluid bending and glissando treatment on the melody = Scheherazade + world music or a muezzin's call
Maj > Min modulation within the progression_ common to jazz
Treble saturated walk-ups and lead reminiscent of rock-a-billy
Cooing harmonies found in Do Wop and R&B

Catch my drift?

The Beatles were not even my favorite band in the day, but to deny them their greatness is absurd.
Wanna' bash someone for maximizing the commercialization of R&R?
Go seek out the Stones.
Last edited by fredrock on Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Life is just what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
-John Lennon
fredrock
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby fredrock on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:09 pm

whoisalhedges wrote:A world in which the Beatles never existed is a world in which the Kingston Trio is the most influential group ever. Fuck that world.

Yup!!!
:smt023
Life is just what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
-John Lennon
fredrock

Postby Redline on Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:57 pm

Yay!

ORTOFON DEVELOPS TRIBUTE MONO CARTRIDGE

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/article ... cartridge/

!
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby El Protoolio on Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:52 pm

Just went through all my Parlaphone/Apple remastered LPs last week. So great. Playing Let It Be between White Album and Abbey Road makes perfect sense to me. Flows much better than order of release.

So NOT CRAP
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby RikSmits on Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:09 pm

I don't like The Beatles. I don't like The Beatles because people seem offended that someone can dislike The Beatles. I like Norwegian Wood and I'm So Tired. I tried, I guess I just don't like good music. :(
Unless they change their infrastructure, they're not ready for a punk show.
RikSmits
phil niekro
phil niekro

Postby tmidgett on Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:28 pm

Great band.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Gramsci on Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:35 pm

Not crap, but I cannot think of the last time I ever put one of their records on, and if I did it would have been St Peppers, mainly because I like Ringo's singing...

They're really about the craft of songwriting, I'm more of a riff and soundscape guy.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby RikSmits on Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:26 pm

I also adore Ringo's singing. I also get a kick out of his first solo record. I honestly feel that I'd like any of those dude's solo work before most Beatles records or songs. First McCartney record=Totally fine. McCartney in Beatles=I do not want. John Lennon=I have no use for you. You wrote a few alright songs. George Harrison=You are interesting, in a way. Ringo=Just be you, buddy. I like you.
Unless they change their infrastructure, they're not ready for a punk show.
RikSmits
phil niekro
phil niekro

Postby John George Peppers on Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:05 pm

Out of all their songs to use as an example, it's funny that you bring this up. I've been listening to this track everyday for the past few weeks. As you said, it's genius. Lovely Rita and practically the whole of Sgt. Pepper would get my attention first whenever I put that album on. Now, it's the other way around. Great tune!
warmowski wrote:Those shoes aren't going to gaze at themselves.

BBGS:Ava

BBGS:Inhalant Abuse
John George Peppers
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby sulfur)addict on Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:34 pm

Most things up to Revolver and the immediate singles after are brilliant. Just absolutely brilliant. Those scrappy early records are one of four major musical pillars to my childhood (Motown, Beach Boys, and the Turtles being the other three).

Their "classic rock" days . . . eh. There's still pieces of the their talent in most of the songs, but it's different. Not bad at all, but it doesn't have the same thrill as "Seventeen" or "Paperback Writer" or the entire Help! soundtrack. I feel like there's a solid 1/3 of The White Album and "A Day in the Life" and that's about it, at least for what I'd seek out to listen to.

I've never heard Let It Be Naked, which I might have to rectify here soon. I can't stand the Phil Spector version.

Anyways, genius band, etc.

Not Crap.

RikSmits wrote:I also adore Ringo's singing. I also get a kick out of his first solo record.

Same! This is actually my favorite song any Beatle recorded solo:

phpBB [media]

There's something to it. Dedicating a verse to each other Beatle with awesome earnest love for all of them - man, Ringo was the true Beatle fan. And then the verse on himself is so self-deprecating, "I don't play bass 'cos that's too hard for me" and then there's a bass fill. Love it.

Lennon's Plastic Ono Band is probably the best release of any solo Beatle, but it's too heavy most of the time. And Harrison's All Things Must Pass is gorgeous, but it's crazy long. But Ringo's first three solo records? Easy, honest, great. Ringo is the second most huggable rock star ever, with one Joey Ramone being the first.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict

Postby elisha wiesner on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:40 pm

I shelled out the cash for the Mono LP box set. It showed up last week and it was so worth it. These are cut straight from the original master tapes with no digital stage at all, using the original mastering notes at Abbey Road and pressed at Optimal in Germany. The sound quality on these records is literally amazing. The mono mixes are far superior overall and these are certainly the best pressings of them ever. I feel like some audiophile snob but I don't care. We're in the middle of a Beatles marathon over here and it's awesome! If you're a Beatles fan and you have a spare $325 kicking around, don't sleep on this set.
elisha wiesner

Postby Redline on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:43 pm

Plus the blue Beatles MONO t-shirt the record store gives you is top-notch...

elisha wiesner wrote:

I feel like some audiophile snob but I don't care.

I know, I even bought a mono needle to listen to them..
Last edited by Redline on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby El Protoolio on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:45 pm

They're all available individually too. I just saw them at a record store today. Yeah original master tapes. I might sell all my stereo copies and buy these.

Elisha are you using a stereo stylus? Did you know Orotron made a $600 mono one to go with the set?
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby elisha wiesner on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:36 pm

I did know that Ortofon made a Mono cart specifically for them and there is no way I'm going to shell out $600 for it. I'm using my trusty Denon DL-110 and they sound awesome. If I was rich, I might buy a decent mono cart but I'm not and I can't see any advantage that a cheap mono cart would have over the 110.

We listened to 'Please Please Me' tonight and after side A I threw on a 60's Stereo pressing of it and the stereo sounded so shitty it wasn't even funny. I will happily sell my vintage Beatles albums now that I have these.
elisha wiesner

Postby El Protoolio on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:43 pm

Now I'm really intrigued. Which one is best would you say? Not favorite just best sounding mono?
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby elisha wiesner on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:23 pm

The early ones are just insanely better. Like night vs. day. "Please Please Me" floored me tonight. Those early records always sounded super bright and shitty and the mono mixes are just so fucking perfect. The drums sound killer where they are all hi-hat and fizz on the stereo mixes. I'll probably listen to Revolver tomorrow but Rubber Soul is amazing! I'm pretty sure you can't go wrong with any of them. I think The White Album was the first one that was actually recorded with any thought given to the Stereo mix during tracking. The stereo mixes of the previous albums were all afterthoughts.
elisha wiesner

Postby El Protoolio on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:32 pm

I was considering trying out Beatles For Sale or Revolver. They're just two of my favorites.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby elisha wiesner on Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:30 am

Both are Excellent. My old copy of "For Sale" is actually a 60's British mono pressing so the mix is the same but the sound quality is much better on the new one. Revolver is killer. Not as night and day as some of them but certainly the best I've ever heard this album. Me and my daughter are rocking out to it right now! She's got a rattle and is playing along.
elisha wiesner

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap