Iron Maiden?

Run to the Hills...away from this CRAP
31%
Die with Your Boots On...rocking to this metallic NOT CRAP
69%

Total votes : 167

Re: BAND: Iron Maiden

Postby Marsupialized on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:16 pm

if you are wealthy and want to fly a plane, you pay for pilot school and fly a plane. No clue why it seems like such a noble accomplishment to some people. You can learn to fence, fly a plane, whatever if you are rich enough to pay someone to teach you. Big deal.
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby El Protoolio on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:02 pm

I like vehicles. I'm a total car geek, motorcycle geek, scooter geek, tank geek, plane geek, chopper geek, space shuttle geek etc. Some vehicles, particularly motorbikes and aero-planes, give the operator a certain thrill unobtainable elsewhere. Putting myself in Dickenson's shoes, because I like to relate to people by imagining myself in their position, I would be thrilled to fly from place to place like that all over the world.

I guess I am one of the few people still marveled by aircraft, but man, the fact that one can fly is fucking amazing. It really is. Just like the telephone and television and radio and solar power are fucking amazing.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:54 pm

I don't understand the vitriol directed at Mr. Dickinson, as he seems to be a nice guy, and his personality well pitched for the career which he has had. But marsup is gonna be marsup, bless him.

While yes, the film in question lacks a certain tension, what with no real conflict or even a small amount of drama, but I loved it. I grew up Iron Maiden, and still find myself in awe in some ways of what they have created- even though I accept that if that particular boat missed you at the dock when you were 11-15, it may never mean anything to you. They are essentially a juvenile pursuit, but one so singular and overwhelming that if they hit you where they swung their foil back in the day, that film is nothing short of inspiring.

I couldn't be happier to see them doing what they do- and at the level they are still able. I wouldn't know what a good maiden album would sound like now, as I simply can't hear them without accessing my deep affection and complete surrender to nostalgia whenever I see or come into contact with their world. What makes me smile about this film, is seeing that they have not changed in the ways that old bands that mattered to me when I still saved money for back patches always seem to. They never crossed over. Sure, some kids will buy their t-shirts to cop a certain look at your hot topics, but the band still seems genuine. And although older, they still look like they did... And in Bruce's case, even better perhaps. I was impressed to see that they also have a tempered, realistic outlook about what they do, and still care enough to put the cash they have behind their tours. While they certainly are comfortable with going out there and playing some greatest hits type tours, they also have recently gone out and performed entire new records in their sets, something never did even during their heyday.

Sure, I'm not sure they really are as directly connected to making new records with a true dedication or conviction to a musical style they have more than outgrown, which under any other circumstance I would call bullshit on, but from what they tell me, the records have certainly still busied themselves with no shortage of ambition and diddly bits.

What's really quite apparent, is there is a love for what they do in those dudes. I love that Jannick, though he seems extraneous, was never shoved out when Adrian returned, and that the crew they do have has been with them as long as they seem to choose to. I would say that if you were to take that film in a time machine and show it to the band at any point in their career, they would simply be proud, and not embarrassed. I dont think any metal band would fare nearly as well under this theoretical scenario. I know that I couldn't be more pleased to see this band is doing what they do, and in the way they do it. I have no use for arena rock at this stage in my life, but if ever there was a band that simply thrive in that setting, this is it... And right on.
DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby Marsupialized on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:19 pm

El Protoolio wrote:I like vehicles. I'm a total car geek, motorcycle geek, scooter geek, tank geek, plane geek, chopper geek, space shuttle geek etc. Some vehicles, particularly motorbikes and aero-planes, give the operator a certain thrill unobtainable elsewhere. Putting myself in Dickenson's shoes, because I like to relate to people by imagining myself in their position, I would be thrilled to fly from place to place like that all over the world.

I guess I am one of the few people still marveled by aircraft, but man, the fact that one can fly is fucking amazing. It really is. Just like the telephone and television and radio and solar power are fucking amazing.

I like planes as well, but I know a shit ton of pilots from working for airlines the past 10 years and most are a hair above retarded, a lot are drunks and drug addicts, the rest completely average dipshits. It takes no special brainpower to pilot a 757, you just have to take the classes and get the license, like anything else. It's not a hard thing to do when money is no object. Dude could go hang out on the space station, as well, if he pays Russia a million bucks or whatever. Not that exciting.
Dude starts some dangerous stunt flying, I will tip my hat to him. A 757? Might as well be a cruise ship captain, big whoop, fucking thing flies itself for 98% of the trip.

Also, I like a lot of Maiden just fine. I just think they are boring people, not very interesting.
Marsupialized

Postby etch on Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:42 am

El Protoolio wrote: boring.

I thought the same thing. I was ready to love the movie after watching the director's black metal doc and then later the Rush movie, which was great. The 666 movie is pretty flat. The scenes of people in far-flung destinations going absolutely batshit crazy was inspiring but the rest was too business-like.
etch
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Speedie on Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:09 am

Marsupialized wrote:big whoop, fucking thing flies itself for 98% of the trip.

This - However, I'm also a massive plane nerd, and a friend of mine flies 747's and more recently the A380 HOLY FUCK for Qantas, and to quote him over a beer or two - " It's 12 hours of boredom and shooting the shit, with 5 minutes of sphincter clenching terror at each end, weather permitting"

I lol'd.

Dollars permitting, I'd love to get so highly qualified. I've flown a cessna for a bit, and that ruled.

Having said this, I'm not going to get into it with Jonah over his opinion of Dickinson. , It's Jonah v Successful Millionaire. Again. He's always going to call bullshit.

"A hair above retarded" describing a commercial pilot responsible for 100's of lives at a time is a tad of a stretch, though. I regard you as an intelligent man sir. Do you really have an insight to what it takes to fly these things apart from dollars for the schooling, and hundreds of hours of airtime to get there? The pressure?
Trey wrote:How great must a thread be to miss such a thing? Beans on the penis great, I suppose.

https://thegreenwhistle.bandcamp.com/releases
Speedie

Postby Marsupialized on Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:39 am

I have drank with different groups of them, listened to them talk to one another at length, in a casual setting, probably 200 times. They are no smarter or capable of anything than any other Joe off the street, on average. They have a job, they were taught how to do it, now they get paid to do it. Like anyone else doing anything else.

Again, I do not hate Iron Maiden, I like a handful of their songs a lot. The movie was a complete chore, though, and the dudes are as boring as boring gets. Not one second of the film was cool or worth seeing. They travel from show to show, make middling small talk, sightsee, discuss various business ventures and planning. Then they play Number of the Beast and people like it. Baffled by the excitement over it, truly.
Marsupialized

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:35 am

Marsupialized wrote: Baffled by the excitement over it, truly.

I totally agree. It seemed just a tad more interesting than the Pixies documentary which everyone found to be boring as fuck (cause it was). I liked the concerts bits the most cause as it the live show they put on is just fun to watch and I don't even like Iron Maiden. That film with Jimmy Page, The Edge and Jack White bored me too but at least I remember some things about it, when I try to recall anything specific about 'Flight 666' my mind goes blank.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Adam Sr on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:27 pm

Just googled "bruce dickinson counting crows" in the hope of inciting a mini-apocalypse, but no hits, un/fortunately.

Don't see the charm of Flight 666, except maybe some PRF band members are enjoying vicarious jetsetting fantasies. It was a boring film because the people in Iron Maiden are boring. Nice, but boring. I turned it off after twenty minutes or so. The silly music didn't help.
Adam Sr
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby prowler on Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:00 pm

one of my fave songs, bruce really owned it on the Early Days tour
prowler
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby Marsupialized on Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:35 pm

They do sound excellent live. Bruce Dickinson will always look weird with short hair, though.
If a male is going to be a singer in a band, not playing an instrument, he really should go all the way and grow his hair like a woman, as well.
Marsupialized

Postby prowler on Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:59 pm

and I'll admit that not in my most hardcore teenage fanboyhood years did I consider them "interesting" people (beyond just decent guys, which is what i thought of myself too).

i did read Bruce's novel, which i remember finding funny. the protagonist was a guy with a massive penis who at one point kills a nympho by penetrating her too deeply. i thought that was the wildest thing ever
prowler

Postby goosman on Sun May 12, 2013 6:58 am

El Protoolio wrote:I guess I am one of the few people still marveled by aircraft, but man, the fact that one can fly is fucking amazing. It really is. Just like the telephone and television and radio and solar power are fucking amazing.

I'm with you. Despite having done a lot of travel via airplane for work and pleasure I still get a thrill, and am never "Ugh, I have to fly again?" But I get a similar thrill to travel by train too.

I also am amazed, when I use my ham radio gear, that I can do things like talk to someone 5000 miles away using less power than a 25W lightbulb uses. So cool.
zom-zom wrote:I'm really good with the spork.
goosman
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Boobman on Mon May 13, 2013 11:15 am

Not crap. Steve Harris is. One of the greatest bass players of all time.
All albums up to Live After Death rule.
Boobman
prosecutor
prosecutor

Postby Anthony Flack on Mon May 13, 2013 4:27 pm

I don't know if I'd call Steve Harris. One of the greatest bass players of all time.

He was certainly very solid at playing that one rhythm he always plays.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby first2letters on Mon May 13, 2013 4:42 pm

Marsupialized wrote:
El Protoolio wrote:Dude starts some dangerous stunt flying, I will tip my hat to him. A 757? Might as well be a cruise ship captain, big whoop, fucking thing flies itself for 98% of the trip.

I can't fault anyone for finding flaws with Maiden as people or musicians, but I find it surprising that more folks on this board aren't impressed at the 757-as-tour-bus concept -- the idea that Maiden have extrapolated the notion of "Get in the van" to a commercial aircraft. It just seems, I dunno, fitting and impressive.

Then again, I am a dork.
first2letters
jasper johns
jasper johns

Postby Adam Sr on Mon May 13, 2013 4:45 pm

:arrow:
Last edited by Adam Sr on Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Sr

Postby Boobman on Tue May 14, 2013 11:28 am

Well, as far as metal goes, he's probably the greatest. Most of the time you can't even hear a metal bassist. It's really his tone, along w/ his galloping style that sets him apart from pretty much all bass players. Even back then, most rock bass players (aside from Lemmy) pretty much had zero tone. The more audible bass players were the funk and R&B players, but many of them had a muddy (but fat) tone as well.
Boobman
prosecutor
prosecutor

Postby monotremata on Tue May 14, 2013 12:03 pm

Totally forgot they came through here this past weekend with Anthrax. Saw both tours in 2008 and man they can still bring it.
monotremata
webelos
webelos

Postby countwatula on Tue May 14, 2013 12:06 pm

After hearing Number of the Beast again I've decided the best track is Gangland. The one everyone thinks is filler.
That makes me an angry boy.
countwatula
geese ausbie
geese ausbie

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap