Iron Maiden?

Run to the Hills...away from this CRAP
31%
Die with Your Boots On...rocking to this metallic NOT CRAP
69%

Total votes : 167

Re: BAND: Iron Maiden

Postby Andy on Tue May 14, 2013 12:12 pm

countwatula wrote:After hearing Number of the Beast again I've decided the best track is Gangland. The one everyone thinks is filler.

And the one that Alex Van Halen stole the drum intro for "Hot For Teacher" from.

Andy
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Tommy on Tue May 14, 2013 3:36 pm

The Trooper. 'nuff said. Not Crap.
Tommy
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Anthony Flack on Tue May 14, 2013 6:14 pm

Boobman wrote:Well, as far as metal goes, he's probably the greatest. Most of the time you can't even hear a metal bassist. It's really his tone, along w/ his galloping style that sets him apart from pretty much all bass players. Even back then, most rock bass players (aside from Lemmy) pretty much had zero tone. The more audible bass players were the funk and R&B players, but many of them had a muddy (but fat) tone as well.

I can't deny that you can actually hear the bass parts on Maiden records.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby monotremata on Tue May 14, 2013 6:32 pm

Not to mention like most of their material is written by him as well..
monotremata
webelos
webelos

Postby Dave N. on Tue May 14, 2013 6:36 pm

They've certainly worn out the E/D/C progression.
Dave N.
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Boobman on Tue May 14, 2013 8:54 pm

As far as the Dickinson/Di Anno argument goes, I like 'em both. Sure, Dickinson is a better singer, but Di Anno was the right guy at the right time because his style was more informed by punk rock. And at that time Maiden's sound was very much informed by punk rock.
Boobman
prosecutor
prosecutor

Postby offal on Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:25 pm

Love this.

How Iron Maiden found its worst music pirates -- then went and played for them

In the case of Iron Maiden, still a top-drawing band in the U.S. and Europe after thirty years, it noted a surge in traffic in South America. Also, it saw that Brazil, Venezuela, Mexico, Columbia, and Chile were among the top 10 countries with the most Iron Maiden Twitter followers. There was also a huge amount of BitTorrent traffic in South America, particularly in Brazil.

Rather than send in the lawyers, Maiden sent itself in. The band has focused extensively on South American tours in recent years, one of which was filmed for the documentary "Flight 666." After all, fans can't download a concert or t-shirts. The result was massive sellouts. The São Paolo show alone grossed £1.58 million (US$2.58 million) alone.
offal
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby newberry on Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:33 pm

offal wrote:Love this.

How Iron Maiden found its worst music pirates -- then went and played for them

In the case of Iron Maiden, still a top-drawing band in the U.S. and Europe after thirty years, it noted a surge in traffic in South America. Also, it saw that Brazil, Venezuela, Mexico, Columbia, and Chile were among the top 10 countries with the most Iron Maiden Twitter followers. There was also a huge amount of BitTorrent traffic in South America, particularly in Brazil.

Rather than send in the lawyers, Maiden sent itself in. The band has focused extensively on South American tours in recent years, one of which was filmed for the documentary "Flight 666." After all, fans can't download a concert or t-shirts. The result was massive sellouts. The São Paolo show alone grossed £1.58 million (US$2.58 million) alone.

Or, maybe not: http://techcrunch.com/2013/12/27/how-a- ... net-truth/

Musicmetric, an entertainment forecasting startup that analyzes bittorrent and social media data, was quoted in a Guardian piece on November 29, arguing that bands could potentially leverage the wealth of online information to plan their concerts.

Then, on December 20, a tech blog, citeworld, ran this click-delicious headline “How Iron Maiden found its worst music pirates — then went and played for them.” The piece implied that MusicMetric directly advised Iron Maiden to plan an otherwise unscheduled concert tour in South America.

“[The] CiteWorld story is sadly not substantiated,” a spokesman for MusicMetric wrote to me in an email. “We never stated or implied that Iron Maiden had used our analytics to plan its tours.”

“Once someone writes it and someone tweets, there’s not a lot that anyone can do,” said the MusicMetric spokesman, who preferred to remain anonymous. Despite the glowing press coverage, MusicMetric worries about taking credit for something they clearly didn’t do.
newberry
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby mt on Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:47 am

This is still my favorite double live album:

Everything a double live from a heavy metal band should be. The set list is ridiculous - "Aces High" into "2 Minutes To Midnight" into "The Trooper" into "Revelations" into "Flight of Icarus" and that is just side 1 - still have "The Number of the Beast", "Halllowed Be Thy Name", "Run to the Hills", and "Phantom of the Opera" not to mention "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" and on and on.

All the superficials are there, too. 25 minutes a side (packed), great artwork, photos, all the lyrics, dates, stats.

If you were 15 yrs old (like I was) when this thing came out, it was the greatest thing ever.
mt
the white ho
the white ho

Postby taylor swiftboat orgy on Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:50 pm

i bet even my mom knows who this is . nc, Gods of Metal even if i rarely venture past Powerslave.
Last edited by taylor swiftboat orgy on Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taylor swiftboat orgy
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby zom-zom on Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:52 pm

That stupid cheeseball monster just ruins it for me. So corny.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Andy on Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:54 am

zom-zom wrote:So corny.

I think you mean SO FUCKING AWESOME.

Andy

Postby zom-zom on Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:58 am

Nope nope nope.

Man that's bad. Maybe if the stupid monster thing like fucked one of them or something. But nope, just clumsily hobbling around.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby morespaceecho on Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:41 pm

this from a guy who likes KISS.
morespaceecho
mike piazza
mike piazza

Postby zom-zom on Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:47 pm

They are the monsters. Spaceman playing guitar, Cat-guy playing drums.

Super cool. Not like some dumb fake monster stumbling around the stage and then leaving. That sucks.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Anthony Flack on Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:59 pm

Apparently it used to be a little papier-mâché head with a smoke machine in it or something like that. A little stage prop, something you'd haul around in the van with you and stick it up on top of your amp. Eddie the 'ead, they called it.

I guess things just got a little out of hand from there.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby a leg plaster on Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:29 am

I have been listening to their earliest albums a lot lately on my commutes to work and school. Though I don't find either of them perfect, I am having a hard time deciding which of the two Di'Anno albums I like more. I feel like the s/t has the better vocals of the two, but they definitely clicked with their sound on Killers, while the vocals are kind of kicked down a notch awesome-wise. I don't really know what the general consensus is, but would be interested in how others saw it.
(exaggeration)
a leg plaster

Postby prowler on Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:24 am

as a whole, Killers is cooler by a mile. the mix (welcome Martin Birch), Adrian Smith, just overall more confident performances. but the s/t has some timeless classics, most notably Phantom. oh, and Prowler :)
prowler
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby biscuitdough on Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:10 am

Overplaying bassist, vocalist forced to sing outside his range (Dickinson actually has a rad voice, but you'd never know), stage-setters for a wave of unappealing power metal. Pass.

Crap, WF: the two Di'anno albums.
biscuitdough

Postby prowler on Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:19 am

new album!!!
92 minutes long haha, might turn out an even bigger snoozefest than Final Frontier.. but the high Dickinson / Harris credit ratio gives me hope
prowler

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap