home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Area of Insanity: Mosh Pit

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Mosh Pit?

Oww *thump* oww! Fuck off, stop banging into me you bearded shithead, I'm trying to enjoy the show without getting elbowed in the face
82%
I love it, I warm up for it, I enjoy it more than the music
18%

Total votes : 61

Re: Area of Insanity: Mosh Pit

Postby Chmrljica on Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:15 pm

I liked moshing and pogo a lot. But one day I got elbow in my head and earn (never healed) ruptured tympanic membrane. I'm much more careful these days,but..... :mrgreen:
Chmrljica
hemingway
hemingway

Postby righthanded on Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:14 pm

Steve V. wrote:Yeah, arms folded and nodding is the way to watch a show.

Rock shows need more craziness and anxiety. I'm not saying start a fight, but don't be afraid to push and wobble and grab your partner roughly out of sheer excitement.

If you don't like to be thrown in, do that thing ultra-fun people do and look like you're bored shitless as the band rips through the walls.

I call bullshit on this.

Bands get whatever reaction they get and there's no use complaining about it. If you want people to respond a certain way, write different songs; interact with people differently. Paint-by-numbers hardcore seems to get people moshing, regardless of how good I think it isn't.
righthanded
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby calhern on Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:20 pm

I enjoy a good mosh pit. It is fun to get tossed around sometimes.

But when I notice the rest of the crowd isn't interested in moshing, it doesn't bother me. I can enjoy a show without moshing. I HATE it when kids insist on moshing when it is clear that no one else is interested.
calhern
linus pauling
linus pauling

Postby Marsupialized on Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:12 pm

I used to really, really enjoy stage diving and riding on top of the crowd all over the place. It was the greatest thing and a shitload of fun, it really was. This is mainly at thrash shows, where it would be fun. The hardcore shows and punk shows were a little more, I dunno, mean spirited, usually. Metal shows, for all the scary imagery, people are all just here to have a good time with other people who dig metal. Hardcore shows, there are people there ONLY to beat the shit out of people. The wild punching one another shit was never my bag but there's a time and place for jumping around like a nutcase. I was jumping around slamming into people at the Jesus Lizard and it was super fun.
I kind of think it's time has come and gone, but it was a lot of fun when I was a kid and felt great. Standing outside the metal show, steaming with heat, all your friends talking about the crazy thrashings that you just did, everyone hooting and hollering and laughing, totally N/C.
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby Frank Decent on Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:44 pm

Moshing is for dorky white dudes who are too afraid to dance. They get all frustrated because they know they are too self-consious and tight assed to cut loose, so they smash themselves into the next dorky looking guy they can find.

Adolescent crap.
Frank Decent
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby lemur68 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:48 pm

Frank Decent wrote:Moshing is for dorky white dudes who are too afraid to dance. They get all frustrated because they know they are too self-consious and tight assed to cut loose, so they smash themselves into the next dorky looking guy they can find.

Adolescent crap.

I wish you were around to tell that to redheadache to her face during the Big'n set at Auktoberfest.
big_dave wrote:This is just about finding a dorky selfie on his blogspot?

Jesus, this is the Space Ace by Don Bluth of internet intrigue.
lemur68

Postby Frank Decent on Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:14 pm

lemur68 wrote:
Frank Decent wrote:Moshing is for dorky white dudes who are too afraid to dance. They get all frustrated because they know they are too self-consious and tight assed to cut loose, so they smash themselves into the next dorky looking guy they can find.

Adolescent crap.

I wish you were around to tell that to redheadache to her face during the Big'n set at Auktoberfest.

Why? Is she violent?
I may be dumb as donkeys but I ain't crazy.
Frank Decent

Postby gjp on Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:06 am

CRAPPPPP.

I am all down for collective dancing, moving around, and even a friendly bump into one another, but fuck aggressively ramming into people, throwing elbows, pushing people over, etc.

I want to remember a show. I want my focus on the band, not being ready to catch myself if I am to be pushed over.

... and fuck those who continue to slam into people who clearly don't want to participate.
gjp
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby numberthirty on Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:44 am

Once I saw these guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=225BL7ef-Ug

I realized every pit I'd every been in didn't amount to shit. That's some gold medal shit.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty

Postby stewie on Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:26 am

numberthirty wrote:Once I saw these guys:

I realized every pit I'd every been in didn't amount to shit. That's some gold medal shit.

Le WAT
stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Trey on Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:39 pm

My wife got her wrist broken in a pit when she was 19. She drove herself to her parents and had them drive her to the hospital at 3 in the morning.

I used to have fun at shows when it was jumping around and bouncing off each other. The big running in a circle pit was always a drag. Five-Eight had a song about it called 'Nowhere in a Circle. That kind of moshing ruined many shows for me back in the day. In the late 80's and early 90's, a pit would start at almost any fucking show. I remember kids moshing to the Dead Milkmen, Meat Puppets, Camper Van Beethoven, all kinds of shows where I wanted to actually watch the bands but could only do so from the sidelines.

I used to really love getting banged up at Pylon shows though. I remember being drenched with sweat and leaving the club and it was in the mid 30's outside. Body steam!
I'm like, whatever, it's fucking Houlihan

http://www.thegary.com
Trey
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Antero on Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:21 pm

stewie wrote:

Le WAT

Check out the guy's voice at 1:07. I'm cracking up over here.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Dovey on Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:52 pm

Shitheads who don't know how to mosh dang near ruined seeing the Stooges for me. Luckily I managed to extricate myself to the back and danced and pogo'd and had a good old time while everyone in front of me spent all of their energy just trying to stay upright. Fuck em.

qrj wrote:CRAPPPPP.

I am all down for collective dancing, moving around, and even a friendly bump into one another, but fuck aggressively ramming into people, throwing elbows, pushing people over, etc.

I want to remember a show. I want my focus on the band, not being ready to catch myself if I am to be pushed over.

... and fuck those who continue to slam into people who clearly don't want to participate.

Hell yes.
Mason wrote:What 2014 needs less of is branding.
Dovey
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby numberthirty on Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:33 pm

Antero wrote:
stewie wrote:

Le WAT

Check out the guy's voice at 1:07. I'm cracking up over here.

Even the kid in the black jacket that sounded like a puppy barking looked like he was on the verge of cracking up at 1:22.

J. Burns posted this in the "That's It For Me" thread. Kudos for that.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty

Postby Blue of Noon on Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:37 pm

Moshing is for jocks and adolescents.
Blue of Noon
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby SpaceCadet on Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:21 am

When I'm at a hardcore show and really dig the band, I want to mosh and stage dive all night. Outside of that, moshing can fuck off.
SpaceCadet
piece of shit
piece of shit

Postby krakabash on Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:05 pm

I like doing the H.B. strut to Germs, Vicious Circle, China White, The Chiefs, NoFx.
Moshing is for Anthrax shows and Lollapaloza.
Anthrax are cool, so I guess moshing can be cool enough.
If you actually go to a punk show, like Rancid or Guttermouth or Broken Bones, you'll see lots of testosterone fulled teenage dance action. Some of the kidz, the type who worship Ian McKay mostly, will try to inforce some sort of rules like you can only go counter clockwise and you should pick people up when they fall down, but that stuff is a bunch of crap. The dudes from Edison High would just laugh and punch you in the face and fuck any rules you might come up with.
According to Wikipedia, H.R. from Bad Brains started it but the only thing that band started was ripping off the Ramones and The Clash. Eddie Vedder was influenced by the D.C. scene so I guess there is a slight connection there somewhere because lameness usually spawns more lameness elsewhere. It says it later spread to places like Columbus Ohio and Chicago, and we all know how awesomely punk rock those places are (sic).
krakabash

Postby righthanded on Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:14 pm

Steve V. wrote:
righthanded wrote:
Steve V. wrote:Yeah, arms folded and nodding is the way to watch a show.

Rock shows need more craziness and anxiety. I'm not saying start a fight, but don't be afraid to push and wobble and grab your partner roughly out of sheer excitement.

If you don't like to be thrown in, do that thing ultra-fun people do and look like you're bored shitless as the band rips through the walls.

I call bullshit on this.

Bands get whatever reaction they get and there's no use complaining about it. If you want people to respond a certain way, write different songs; interact with people differently. Paint-by-numbers hardcore seems to get people moshing, regardless of how good I think it isn't.

I'm not talking as a dude in a band, I'm doing as an attendee of a show.

I'll see a band like Bear Claw or The fuckin' Columbines and wonder why we're all not crawling all over each other pushing and hugging and grab-assing. I'm just talking about getting physical with the music in a somewhat acceptable climate.

I'm not calling your band out, specifically, and it used to bother me when people didn't react to awesome bands, but I think my point remains valid. People seem to dance/mosh when they think it's socially acceptable to. Maybe a few outliers set the tone and the crowd follows-- but that's not always the case. I mean, I hear the kids talk about how they're going to mosh for this band and how it's going to be awesome and whatnot--might as well be yuppies talking about how they're gonna go dancing on Friday night--maybe at one point, it was a spontaneous reaction to music, to an actual performance--but it seems to be part of the punk rock uniform at this point. Totally worthless as a barometer for how good an actual performance is.
righthanded
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby righthanded on Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:14 pm

double
righthanded
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby Domagoj on Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:20 pm

with me inside the pit: