6%
NOT CRAP
94%

Total votes : 417

Re: Band: the Jesus Lizard

Postby Get dog costumes on Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:54 pm

Dave N. wrote:
first2letters wrote:They were on fire last night

Yeah they were. Every bit as good as some of the best shows I saw them play 25 or so years ago. They were giving it their all. How Yow does what he does at 58, I have no idea. Maybe it's the push-ups.

I'm glad y'all got so much out of it. They left me cold. Maybe I've just seen too many rad videos of these reunion tours for the live show to have the proper impact - I agree they played hard, executed the songs, etc. and I can't really find fault with the performance.

Actually, I've seen/heard Yow's "we're the greatest band in the world" shtick a few times now and it's a little tired.

And it's probably time to add some new songs to the set. One of the later songs ("we wrote this in a terrible part of Chicago" or something like that) I thought was from one of the Capitol records since it was a)hard for me to place and b)had kind of static music while relying on the vocals/storytelling, but I went back through those albums to try to find the song and didn't catch it. And that was the worst song I saw them play. Nonetheless, toward the end of the show I wanted to hear something new more than their classics.
steve wrote:There's nothing like making a useful item for the house.
Get dog costumes
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby spanning time on Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:19 pm

They killed it in ATL on Sunday. Smiles all around, great setlist. Thanks to FM mrcancelled for the hookup!
spanning time
pom pom
pom pom

Postby agiant on Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:48 pm

Mr Jesús Lizardo, you should come to Europe.
blah
agiant
matt damon
matt damon

Postby mrcancelled on Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:48 pm

spanning time wrote:They killed it in ATL on Sunday. Smiles all around, great setlist. Thanks to FM mrcancelled for the hookup!

Hell yeah! Glad you enjoyed it!!
mrcancelled
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby agiant on Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:24 pm

Facundo wrote:
agiant wrote:Mr Jesús Lizardo, you should come to Europe.

Yes, in boat

and with clothes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IDsmjZtkbsE&feature=youtu.be

phpBB [media]
blah
agiant
matt damon
matt damon

Postby CSP_Skater on Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:50 am

they still got it.
CSP_Skater
les nessman
les nessman

Postby Hosoi on Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:37 pm

I like how they take a bit of money or whatever, and then they give you everything you could ever want or imagine.

One thing peculiar about them is that they don't really appear to be self-satisfied? Think of the worst band you've ever seen, and the look on their faces while playing their terrible music. Then imagine being SIMS in the JESUS LIZARD and playing (not to mention writing) those songs with that tone and precision all while looking extremely attractive and not at all smug? It doesn't make any sense! This goes for all of them, although they did play one song where Denison played a full guitar solo. I guess it's from Shot or something. It felt indulgent (to me!) for thirty seconds, but also I'm pretty stupid if I think that a sixty year old virtuoso shouldn't play a guitar solo and that I can tell a guitar hero not to do it while also screeching has name out for more.

When I was crammed in with all the other chubby, old nerds, and my glasses were fogging up, I doubted for a second if it were going to be good or not, and then on the one of the first song Yow leapt into my arms!!!
Hosoi
bernard purdie
bernard purdie

Postby mrcancelled on Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:06 pm

Hosoi wrote:One thing peculiar about them is that they don't really appear to be self-satisfied? Think of the worst band you've ever seen, and the look on their faces while playing their terrible music. Then imagine being SIMS in the JESUS LIZARD and playing (not to mention writing) those songs with that tone and precision all while looking extremely attractive and not at all smug? It doesn't make any sense! This goes for all of them, although they did play one song where Denison played a full guitar solo. I guess it's from Shot or something. It felt indulgent (to me!) for thirty seconds, but also I'm pretty stupid if I think that a sixty year old virtuoso shouldn't play a guitar solo and that I can tell a guitar hero not to do it while also screeching has name out for more.

Haha. Yeah, I think it's the perfect balance between Yow losing his shit, Mac losing his shit (you can't really keep a poker face playing drums like that), and then you've got Sims just all-business, get-the-job-done and play well, same with Duane--though I did see Duane emote a good bit more on this tour which was cool, seemed to be having a grand ol' time. The three of them are such a machine, it's as if Yow being there is merely incidental.
mrcancelled

Postby Hosoi on Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:01 am

mrcancelled wrote:Haha. Yeah, I think it's the perfect balance between Yow losing his shit, Mac losing his shit (you can't really keep a poker face playing drums like that), and then you've got Sims just all-business, get-the-job-done and play well, same with Duane--though I did see Duane emote a good bit more on this tour which was cool, seemed to be having a grand ol' time. The three of them are such a machine, it's as if Yow being there is merely incidental.

I'm a decent guitar player if I practice (except I don't), but if I tried to play what Sims or Denison plays, I would probably start crying. First of all, I could never come up with anything that good, but I seriously don't even think I can reach the right frets without sweating and cramping up. They are unbelievable, and I sort of can't believe my luck in getting to see them. I mean, they're so old, they could be dead, but instead they are hot!

Yow and McNeilly are sacrificial, too, if you ask me. Self-slaughter in exchange for making us happy. I guess it's for the money but it sure feels like it's for the people.

Can't wait to go back to seeing some shy local bands strum a few tunes!
Hosoi
bernard purdie
bernard purdie

Postby first2letters on Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:48 pm

Hosoi wrote:I'm a decent guitar player if I practice (except I don't), but if I tried to play what Sims or Denison plays, I would probably start crying. First of all, I could never come up with anything that good, but I seriously don't even think I can reach the right frets without sweating and cramping up.

Same here — it's always maddening and awe-inspiring to watch those guys play. Denison in particular makes it look so effortless. I'm sure that if I practiced 1/10 as much as I could make time for doing, I'd be more adept at replicating some of his stuff; but there are certain things he plays that I am just not biologically capable of playing that effortlessly, or at least without fumbling over the neck and making all sorts of string noise. Then there's the fact that he actually came up with those guitar parts — the sense of music history and dot-connecting of styles in every line he plays is just incredible.
first2letters
tommy vercetti
tommy vercetti

Postby Get dog costumes on Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:14 pm

Hosoi wrote:One thing peculiar about them is that they don't really appear to be self-satisfied?

Their frontman declares to audiences that they are the best band in the world, and they've now been playing reunion shows for nine years without a lick of new material as far as I can tell. I agree that it is nice that they refrain from making guitar faces.
Get dog costumes

Postby Bernardo on Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:45 pm

Get dog costumes wrote:
Hosoi wrote:One thing peculiar about them is that they don't really appear to be self-satisfied?

Their frontman declares to audiences that they are the best band in the world, and they've now been playing reunion shows for nine years without a lick of new material as far as I can tell.

This is not very honest, for all I know since reformation all their shows combined wouldn't fill a two month tour, they're not exactly milking it.

EDIT: I went ahead and did a quick setlist.fm count, between 2009 and now it's been 55 shows, so yeah, by the end of this year it will count as more than two months' touring worth. In the span of nine years.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby m3kcomp on Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:04 am

Bernardo wrote:
Get dog costumes wrote:

Their frontman declares to audiences that they are the best band in the world, and they've now been playing reunion shows for nine years without a lick of new material as far as I can tell.

This is not very honest, for all I know since reformation all their shows combined wouldn't fill a two month tour, they're not exactly milking it.

EDIT: I went ahead and did a quick setlist.fm count, between 2009 and now it's been 55 shows, so yeah, by the end of this year it will count as more than two months' touring worth. In the span of nine years.

I think we get it. They're Gods among men.

I'd argue further that the loogie count alone makes them the greatest band of all time.

Great band, not crap, and totally overrated.
m3kcomp
rolls royce
rolls royce

Postby Get dog costumes on Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:27 pm

Bernardo wrote:
Get dog costumes wrote:

No dishonesty. I think "playing reunion shows for nine years" is a fair way to say it. Especially since that's nine years - I counted and that's 3,285 days - to write something, anything.

I thought Slint embarrassed themselves a bit on their 2005 and 2007 reunions, but less so because they played a new song. It wasn't even a very good song, but it was interesting and different and demonstrated that they were a band.

I want my favorite bands to behave like bands. Let's leave this other thing to Billy Joel.

m3kcomp wrote:Great band, not crap, and totally overrated.

Well said.
Get dog costumes

Postby Bernardo on Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:14 pm

Get dog costumes wrote:I think "playing reunion shows for nine years" is a fair way to say it. Especially since that's nine years - I counted and that's 3,285 days - to write something, anything.

They never pretended it to be anything else but reunion shows, of which they did one tour ten years ago and a few shows here and there over the last two years. Yow called it "re-enactment" and it was for a reason other than humour as well. But the micro-backlash over them is clearly a thing, no point in going on about it.
Last edited by Bernardo on Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bernardo

Postby El Protoolio on Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:53 pm

They are the best band in the world.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Bernardo on Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:20 am

Bernardo

Postby edventure on Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:37 pm

Bernardo wrote:http://thequietus.com/articles/25809-listen-new-markers-jesus-lizard-cover

This is great, not what I was expecting. Now I want to hear a version on piano!
edventure
thomas paine
thomas paine

Postby mrcancelled on Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:40 am

New dates!

12/28 Marathon Music Works Nashville, TN
12/30 Union Transfer Philadelphia, PA
12/31 Brooklyn Steel Brooklyn, NY
mrcancelled

Postby travis k on Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:21 am

Not even gonna get excited. The robots probably already have all of the tickets.
travis k
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap