home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Band: Queens of the Stone Age

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Queens of the Stone Age?

CRAP
37
22%
NOT CRAP
130
78%
 
Total votes : 167

Re: Band: Queens of the Stone Age

Postby Jodi S. on Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:13 am

They are on Austin City Limits tonight (as in right now) on Channel 21 in NYC - and possibly in other markets as well.
User avatar
Jodi S.
Influential Poster
 
Posts: 21119
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2003 3:47 pm
Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Re: Band: Queens of the Stone Age

Postby Awesome_Komodo on Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:04 am

My buddy Jon plays drums for them now.
I guess that's cool for him.
Here comes the pissball, shithead - get ready!
User avatar
Awesome_Komodo
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
 
Posts: 3608
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:38 am

Re: Band: Queens of the Stone Age

Postby Dovey on Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:08 am

Your buddy is Jon Theodore? That dude is a stone-cold badass. Almost made the Mars Volta worth listening to.
Mason wrote:What 2014 needs less of is branding.
User avatar
Dovey
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
 
Posts: 2324
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:34 am
Location: Vancouver Complaint Corner

Re: Band: Queens of the Stone Age

Postby Awesome_Komodo on Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:37 am

Dovey wrote:Your buddy is Jon Theodore? That dude is a stone-cold badass. Almost made the Mars Volta worth listening to.
We used to work for the same coffee shop chain in Baltimore. This was back during the Golden days. I remember him showing up to the Ottobar after he became a member of Mars Volta with a corporate credit card from the label and buying a round of drinks for everyone.
Here comes the pissball, shithead - get ready!
User avatar
Awesome_Komodo
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
 
Posts: 3608
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:38 am

Re: Band: Queens of the Stone Age

Postby Ptommydski on Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:24 am

I think 'Regular John' is one of the best rock songs ever written. I like it a bit more every time I hear it. It's been a steady but sure decline since then.

One completely great, timeless rock song is more than most bands do I guess.
User avatar
Ptommydski
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7455
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:52 am
Location: UK

Re: Band: Queens of the Stone Age

Postby Podge9 on Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:53 am

Awesome_Komodo wrote:
Dovey wrote:Your buddy is Jon Theodore? That dude is a stone-cold badass. Almost made the Mars Volta worth listening to.
We used to work for the same coffee shop chain in Baltimore. This was back during the Golden days. I remember him showing up to the Ottobar after he became a member of Mars Volta with a corporate credit card from the label and buying a round of drinks for everyone.


What a great drummer.
The previous QOTSA drummer used to make a half hearted effort on No One Knows but I saw JT absolutely nail it a few weeks ago.
User avatar
Podge9
jason alexander
jason alexander
 
Posts: 904
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:45 am
Location: UK

Re: Band: Queens of the Stone Age

Postby kerble on Tue May 26, 2015 1:16 pm

Have been loving ...Like Clockwork, except for the one rotten funk song "Smooth Sailing". That shit is CRHP. Aside from that, it's a great record. Color me impressed.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
User avatar
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 19008
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:30 pm
Location: Heartbreaker.

Re: Band: Queens of the Stone Age

Postby holmes on Tue May 26, 2015 6:46 pm

Ptommydski wrote:I think 'Regular John' is one of the best rock songs ever written. I like it a bit more every time I hear it. It's been a steady but sure decline since then.

One completely great, timeless rock song is more than most bands do I guess.


It's a fucking amazing track. Avon is every bit it's equal though.
man with a mullet going mad with mallet in millets
User avatar
holmes
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
 
Posts: 2687
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:43 pm
Location: Sneakin' out tha hospital

Re: Band: Queens of the Stone Age

Postby numberthirty on Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:22 am

Since some of this may have come in under the radar...

Eric Valentine has a "Recording" YouTube channel here -

- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChV4ZbmdvFZFDGN8XRzpIrQ/featured

Earlier in the week, there was a pretty in-depth breakdown of what went into tracking the tune "No One Knows" with a rather involved dive into the Pro Tools session and what did and didn't make the eventual cut when the band recorded the version that is on the record.

That video came down with a quickness. Worth noting for the future.

What has not come down is this video with Eric Valentine where he lays out some of the "Nuts"/"Bolt" of how things were recorded. I'd guess it might be worth the time for fans of the band.

154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
User avatar
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 20682
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:28 am

Re: Band: Queens of the Stone Age

Postby Andrew. on Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:24 pm

numberthirty wrote:
Earlier in the week, there was a pretty in-depth breakdown of what went into tracking the tune "No One Knows" with a rather involved dive into the Pro Tools session and what did and didn't make the eventual cut when the band recorded the version that is on the record.

That video came down with a quickness. Worth noting for the future.


I happened to see that video go up and watched parts of it. I was surprised how transparent he was about everything, including the balls-to-the-wall drug use and partying that prompted him to move the sessions to a studio out of town in the woods. Some weird gear choices like using a tiny Peavey practice amp for bass tracks on the album.
User avatar
Andrew.
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7101
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 11:02 pm

Re: Band: Queens of the Stone Age

Postby numberthirty on Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:09 am

Andrew. wrote:
numberthirty wrote:
Earlier in the week, there was a pretty in-depth breakdown of what went into tracking the tune "No One Knows" with a rather involved dive into the Pro Tools session and what did and didn't make the eventual cut when the band recorded the version that is on the record.

That video came down with a quickness. Worth noting for the future.


I happened to see that video go up and watched parts of it. I was surprised how transparent he was about everything, including the balls-to-the-wall drug use and partying that prompted him to move the sessions to a studio out of town in the woods. Some weird gear choices like using a tiny Peavey practice amp for bass tracks on the album.


There might actually be a reason that he would.

Thinking back to around when the record came out, Homme seemed like he knocked Valentine at least once. It seemed like Valentine might have been babysitting the band for Interscope.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
User avatar
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 20682
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:28 am

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests