Queens of the Stone Age?

CRAP
22%
NOT CRAP
78%

Total votes : 167

Re:

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:39 pm

EmpireStateTroopers wrote:Matt Sweeney is a handsome man.
QOTSA is one of those bands I refuse to believe anyone REALLY gives a shit about. Like you might go see them if tickets are cheap or free and you wanna hear some loud, generic rock, but that's it...

I'm with you on this.

I don't find what they do interesting at all, but it's not total dogshit or anything.
AnthonyVillalobos
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Re: Band: Queens of the Stone Age

Postby elisha wiesner on Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:52 pm

I'm sitting here trying to finish up some work and Letterman is on in the background. Queens of the stone age just played. I believe this is the first time I have ever heard them or at least the first time I have ever payed attention to them. They fucking suck.

Crap.
elisha wiesner
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Podge9 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:54 am

holmes wrote:
Podge9 wrote:
Better than the debut, Lullabies and Era Vulgaris
Not as good as Rated R and Songs for the Deaf

Much as I like 'songs for the dead', it's nowhere near as good as the debut record. That shit is not even up for discussion.

Rated R was my entry point so the when I went backwards to the debut it felt a little flat in comparison. Perhaps it's time I give it another chance though.

There's an odd amount of indifference and hate for this band here considering the poll ratio!
Podge9
roman
roman

Re:

Postby HOUSTON_M on Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:23 am

You are erect.

QOTSA is one of those bands I refuse to believe anyone REALLY gives a shit about. Like you might go see them if tickets are cheap or free and you wanna hear some loud, generic rock, but that's it...

You are correct.
HOUSTON_M

Re: Re:

Postby HOUSTON_M on Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:26 am

AnthonyVillalobos wrote:

I'm with you on this.

I don't find what they do interesting at all, but it's not total dogshit or anything.

HOUSTON_M wrote:Joshua Homme is threatening a legacy of album after album, oblivious to the fact that nobody but nobody is interested in Queens of the Stone Age anymore.

Meat grinds...
HOUSTON_M

Postby honeyisfunny on Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:43 am

First 3 records have some amazing stuff on them. Then those crappy Alice In Chains style "wooooaaaahhhhhh" harmonies took over.
Way out is the way out
honeyisfunny
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby HOUSTON_M on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:48 am

honeyisfunny wrote:First 3 records have some amazing stuff on them. Then those crappy Alice In Chains style "wooooaaaahhhhhh" harmonies took over.

A colleague was talking about Queens of the Stone Age recently and about how the first album sounds amazing and the high quality of songwriting on Lullabies to Paralyze.

I don't disagree with him.

I don't care about this band but to me this is an easy 'Not Crap' vote.
HOUSTON_M

Re:

Postby 1009 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:14 pm

EmpireStateTroopers wrote:QOTSA is one of those bands I refuse to believe anyone REALLY gives a shit about. Like you might go see them if tickets are cheap or free and you wanna hear some loud, generic rock, but that's it...

I'd agree with that. There's times I'm in the mood to put on the first through third records and crank them while driving, and they're fine for that, but otherwise I generally take a pass.

I did think of them a little differently after seeing the Mark Sandman documentary. Queens were scheduled to go on right after Morphine the day Sandman collapsed onstage and died. In the doc, Dana (of Morphine) tells the story that Josh came up to him and asked what he should do, like if Queens should even go on. Dana told him they should keep the show going, having no idea who QotSA were at the time (1999). Dana said he could hear QotSA playing from the hotel or wherever, and he said it was exactly what he needed to hear at that time, just a driving, heavy, loud thing, "like a Camaro" I believe he said. And the first record, at least, is that.

Not crap, I'd say.
Prime numbers and tonal clusters with Radiant Republic.

Bass in the Heavy Bombers We're on the PRF Singles Comp Q1.

Sax with Begin By Gathering Supplies.

Terrible News.
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby stipendlax on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:58 pm

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/06/q ... clockwork/

Matador's first #1 record.

Good for them.
stipendlax
yogi berra
yogi berra

Postby SorenKierkegaardsMom on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:39 pm

I've never had the slightest interest in this band really. But yesterday my new roommate had just bought their new record. He doesn't have a record player so I let him play it on mine. The first song blew me away. It was so intense and sludgy and alien. My only complaint was that I thought the vocals were really lame. Well, as it turned out, the record was a 45 playing on 33 and he hadn't noticed the difference. At normal speed I lost most of my interest. It was still pretty good, just not quite my thing. But if anyone has their new album on record, the first song is my favorite Melvins song if you listen to it on 33. Ha. I'm dumb.
SorenKierkegaardsMom
carter family
carter family

Postby Rémy on Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:06 pm

I love QotSA and Josh Homme.
So NC.
Rémy
freelance gynaecologist
freelance gynaecologist

Postby Bill Swansea on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:43 am

I like the new album. I feel as though if it wasn't QOTSA I wouldn't even be giving them the benefit of the doubt for some of the grooves and riffs on this record (the Arctic Monkeys seem to be carving a career out of a similar sound and they're just shit now) but when it's good, it's really good. There's a riff just before four minutes of 'Smooth Sailing' that makes me think about what the album could have been, but some songs are just fantastic and addictive, 'If I Had a Tail' in particular. What a song. I can't go passed it on the album without playing it at least three times.
big_dave wrote:Hark at this boy and his "we".

He was Welsh yesterday.
Bill Swansea
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby cuttheshitmike on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:47 am

I've never been super into them but I've always enjoyed the albums everyone likes enough when they were on. I was in the record store recently and my friend max was playing the new one and I liked it enough that I have been meaning to check it out. Who knows if it'll hold up in a situation where it's not just background music, but it sounded more interesting than I expected at least. I really do need to give it a listen one of these days.
cuttheshitmike
baboon
baboon

Postby Zorg on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:45 am

Antero wrote:

Cool.

Is this what passes for guitar instructionals these days? Josh seems like a righteous brah, and his guitar playing is basic ok, but they spend like 15 minutes discussing upstroke versus downstroke. Bored to tears.
Zorg
names vacuums with eyes closed
names vacuums with eyes closed

Re:

Postby cneutron on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:17 pm

oh come ON!
you refuse to believe ANYONE really gives a shit?
Preposterous.

This isn't like Wolfmother or something we're talking about. Loud, generic rock... seriously that stupid ill informed opinion can get fucked.

It ain't your thing, cool.... but you refuse to believe anybody cares? That's objectivist jerkwad nonsense.

I quite like them and the fact that so many people here have such a low opinion of them doesn't change that enjoyment in the slightest. I listen to them way more than some some sacred cows of the PRF and I get quite a bit of enjoyment out of it. They do some cool inventive stuff in the medium of hard rock. If you are diametrically opposed to that medium I can see where you'd want to poop all over it.

New one is way-Bowie. I can see that being a major turn off for some people, some of the lyrics are a little "eye rolling" even to my ears, but I still dig it. They've not made a bad album yet to my ears, but I just don't try to evangelize about them. Some people will never be into it for their own reasons and that's fine.
cneutron

Postby Awesome_Komodo on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:28 pm

I haven't cared about this band in over 12 years.

CRAP
Here comes the pissball, shithead - get ready!
Awesome_Komodo
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Boombats on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:33 pm

Someone do a Kickstarter and buy Homme a chin.
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Boobman on Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:03 pm

Their latest album is really, really good. For a bigtime band, they're ok.
Boobman
prosecutor
prosecutor

Postby cneutron on Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:51 pm

I just wrote this... I think it holds true.

The Queens of the Stone Age record ...:Like Clockwork is pretty damn good you guys. They've managed to be the one mainstream-ish band that I really love and that continues to innovate and surprise. I say mainstream-ish because this one is on Matador and well, they aren't a pop star or something. It bums me out that so many worthy music listeners dismiss this band so completely. Why? Is it because Homme looks like a linebacker instead of a science teacher? Is it because the orthodoxy that they peaked at the first record, rated: R or SFTD (nope, nope, and nope) is just accepted fact?

I know I was "THE guy" who really loved Era Vulgaris. And I still do, y'all are nuts. That is a monster of a weirdo, schizoid record. Not what this is about though, I think "Clockwork" is a bit of a grower, but not offputting like EV or Lullabies was.

Hey look: You know me, you know my tastes... any given year I can make a top TWENTY list of the best records that came out that year and most non-music nerd folks wouldn't be able to identify an album on it. I do it every year! I'm always digging deep, that's who I am... and I always try to share what I love about that to the world. But in this case I think it might be some of the uber music nerds that need to take notice. This record kicks ass, and having seen some of the eyebrow raising "indie" nonsense that some right thinking people seem to be listening to, well... broadening ones horizons to this record might not be a bad idea.

Yes, broaden.

NOT CRAP, I say again.
cneutron

Postby numberthirty on Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:10 pm

Can't get around how much those last few records are right out of the early Masters Of Reality(not the album, dude) playbook.

The problem being I owned those records in my late teens. Don't feel like I need your current take on it.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap