Deerhoof

crap
21%
not crap
79%

Total votes : 213

Re: band: Deerhoof

Postby prowler on Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:46 am

i love them, probably my favourite active band nowadays.

and Greg Saunier is an amazing drummer and a very eloquent guy. i wish he'd write a book or something, i never get bored of reading interviews with him about creativity and progress and stuff
prowler
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby Heath on Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:47 am

Deerhoof seem to be one of the few "experimental" bands who actually experiment with their compositional style. I think this is pretty neat, even though it means that I only really like every third or fourth record.

The Runners Four and Offend Maggie are both fantastic, though both have some filler.

They're a smiling bunch, aren't they?
I don't need the people of Athens any more than I need another hole in my head. I've got five already, thank you very much.
Heath
bill bradley
bill bradley

Postby prowler on Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:34 am

Heath wrote:The Runners Four and Offend Maggie are both fantastic, though both have some filler.

yep those two are my faves too, but maybe that's cos they're the "rockiest" ones. Reveille is also great, and i've been playing the new stuff a lot
prowler

Postby flyinghouses on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:21 pm

They played an outstanding show last night. I really like their new record. Browsing the web I came across this indie blog and had a laugh
flyinghouses
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:07 am

Revisiting Deerhoof this weekend. Got back into Reveille which is still a great record. Listening to the most recent one now, which I never gave a chance for some reason and am actually digging it more than I thought I would. Then again, I haven't listened to an album of theirs since Friend Opportunity came out.

Deerhoof live is a wonderful thing to see, especially with both John and Ed on guitar together. Good band, should listen to them more often.
Jazz Titan/Ruthie Cohen

KJ/HM/MH/DB

"I'm not in the Kiss Army. But I am in the reserves, and could be called up at any time." - Warmowski
four_oclocker_2
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby MrWarandieBoy on Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:13 am

They've been posting video snippets on their Facebook of them writing new stuff. It's certainly getting me excited, Breakup Song was great. It's a bit of a shame, speaking as a major fan, that they no longer releasing records pretty much every year.
MrWarandieBoy
"nick the greek" dandolos

Postby prowler on Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:50 am

yeah these videos are so enticing, welp. they're coming to Europe in a couple weeks - it would cost me about 150E to fly and see them, i can't really afford it but they're pretty much my favourite active band so maybe i should just pony up and DO IT :o
prowler

Postby skoz on Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:30 pm

I haven't seen then play in such a long time. There was a time many years ago when I'd see them a few times a month and they'd have different instrumentation and arrangements each time. So inspiring. In a better world theyd be massively popular. So consistantly excellent.
skoz
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby Bonham lives! on Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:19 am

Bonham lives!
casio
casio

Postby skoz on Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:00 pm

skoz
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby cuttheshitmike on Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:26 pm

These guys (and a lot of the 5RC roster) were my absolute favorite around 2004-2006, but I hadn't listened to them seriously in a bit (everything after offend Maggie got just a cursory listen and they hadn't played here in a while). Then last week they came up and did three shows in my tiny state: one at a venue they've played a bunch in portland, one at a festival in a park up in a tiny town an hour inland, and one in a rec center on a little island. I attended the first two and it was a blast. They are less inventive than they used to be live (kind of a standard "legacy plus a couple new ones" set) but man are they fun. Watching them in a tiny rural park was pretty surreal and excellent. They all were into watching the other bands, chatting with people, just being really decent, cool folks. Greg was an idol of mine when I was developing as a drummer and it was really cool to hang out with him a little.

This deerhoof/deathgrips thing is pretty cool. Dunno how many times I'd be likely to listen to it, but I'm digging it the first time through.
cuttheshitmike
baboon
baboon

Postby drcroc on Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:21 pm

can't believe the amount of NC here. I saw these guys on TV playing some bs "psychedelic" (read: boring repetitive slow musical progression centric wimp music that is not at all interesting) with a gated echo on the snare drum... what!? crapsauce dot com
drcroc
carl sagan
carl sagan

Postby cuttheshitmike on Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:25 pm

drcroc wrote:can't believe the amount of NC here. I saw these guys on TV playing some bs "psychedelic" (read: boring repetitive slow musical progression centric wimp music that is not at all interesting) with a gated echo on the snare drum... what!? crapsauce dot com

is this your only experience with them? Because:

1) music on tv almost always sounds awful.

2) deerhoof are (or at least were for a while) relentlessly creative and the breadth of their material is pretty impressive

3) Slow, repetitive, and wimpy do not describe the vast majority of deerhoof songs.
cuttheshitmike
baboon
baboon

Postby cuttheshitmike on Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:28 pm

phpBB [media]
cuttheshitmike
baboon
baboon

Postby prowler on Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:11 am

deerhoof have been pretty much my fave active band for many years now. they'll probably never top Runners Four but every album is worth many listens, even though my initial reaction was not so hot with the last two.
prowler

Postby MrWarandieBoy on Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:27 am

cuttheshitmike wrote:
drcroc wrote:can't believe the amount of NC here. I saw these guys on TV playing some bs "psychedelic" (read: boring repetitive slow musical progression centric wimp music that is not at all interesting) with a gated echo on the snare drum... what!? crapsauce dot com

is this your only experience with them? Because:

1) music on tv almost always sounds awful.

2) deerhoof are (or at least were for a while) relentlessly creative and the breadth of their material is pretty impressive

3) Slow, repetitive, and wimpy do not describe the vast majority of deerhoof songs.

Sounds to me like drcroc is getting Deerhoof and Deerhunter mixed up.
MrWarandieBoy

Postby Germ War on Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:03 pm

cuttheshitmike wrote:
phpBB [media]

This video kicks ass. I miss Ed living in the Twin Cities and haven't really followed these guys much lately, so I should probably pick up the last couple of records just to hear what Deerhoof's been up to since he joined (I believe Offend Maggie was the last one I'd bought - the first one he was on).

I still love this band so much.
Germ War
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby cuttheshitmike on Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:33 am

I haven't gotten into much after offend maggie (which was really decent). I think there's been two or three since then and I've given each a cursory listen and not felt obligated to go back for more. I think it's partially me moving on preference-wise and partially them settling into a more comfortable mode.
cuttheshitmike
baboon
baboon

Postby prowler on Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:46 am

i listened to Offend Maggie obsessively for a couple of years, then when Deerhoof vs Evil came out i was put off by the band-in-a-room feel being replaced by more choppy/electronic production. seeing them totally rock out those songs live made me reassess the album though. Breakup Song went further in that direction and again it was harder to swallow at first but really great after all.

i would love to hear another "rock" album from them but i guess that's less likely with the band members living in different cities in the last few years.
prowler

Postby cuttheshitmike on Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:43 am

I was surprised when I found out how much of their earlier stuff was recorded separately (much of it direct in). So much of it sounds like stuff that could only be recorded by a band in a room, but I think reveille, milk man, and possibly runners four were done all separate like that.
cuttheshitmike
baboon
baboon

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap