Deerhoof

crap
21%
not crap
79%

Total votes : 213

Re: band: Deerhoof

Postby skoz on Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:56 am

prowler wrote:i listened to Offend Maggie obsessively for a couple of years, then when Deerhoof vs Evil came out i was put off by the band-in-a-room feel being replaced by more choppy/electronic production. seeing them totally rock out those songs live made me reassess the album though. Breakup Song went further in that direction and again it was harder to swallow at first but really great after all.

i would love to hear another "rock" album from them but i guess that's less likely with the band members living in different cities in the last few years.

The live interpretations of the more electronic records are pretty interesting. They've been doing an absolutely slaying live version of Bad Kids to the Front off Break Up Song. I made an audio recording of the live vid on their website so I can listen to it over and over. Is pretty incredible.
skoz
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby prowler on Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:02 am

cuttheshitmike wrote:I was surprised when I found out how much of their earlier stuff was recorded separately (much of it direct in). So much of it sounds like stuff that could only be recorded by a band in a room, but I think reveille, milk man, and possibly runners four were done all separate like that.

not runners four
http://www.killrockstars.com/press/429/ wrote:an unadorned recording of the acclaimed quartet in their Oakland practice room.

although i wouldn't count out some studio mangling on the more experimental tracks.

and yeah, Friend Opportunity was a big mish-mash too. the big difference between these older records and the last two might be the heavy use of e-drums
prowler
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby cuttheshitmike on Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:04 am

yeah, I was going purely off memory. That must've been the one where they were like "we're not recording separately direct in anymore!" and my response was "you were doing that?"
cuttheshitmike
baboon
baboon

Postby Bonham lives! on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:47 pm

This should interest folks around here:

http://sargenthouse.com/Big_Walnuts_Yonder

new band in the works with Nels Cline, Greg Saunier, Nick Reinhart & Mike Watt.
Bonham lives!
casio
casio

Postby MrWarandieBoy on Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:19 pm

For those who miss 'live in a room' Deerhoof, apparently the new record is along those lines. According to an interview Greg gave a few months back it was recorded initially as a demo that they did with the intention of re-recording in a proper studio later on, but they liked the demo so much that it's now just going to be the album. Those rehearsal videos they posted on their Facebook page a while back are from those demo/album sessions.
MrWarandieBoy
"nick the greek" dandolos

Postby prowler on Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:57 am

cool, i'm sure it'll be awesome but I'd also love a Maggie'ish classic studio band production.

speaking of side projects, John has a new thing with Ches Smith and Sam Owens
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152541685312631

they keep real busy, it's hard to keep track of everything
prowler

Postby tupelo moan on Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:57 am

New album's floating about.

tupelo moan
alderman
alderman

Postby prowler on Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:40 am

first listen, it's a dominator
prowler

Postby MrWarandieBoy on Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:57 am

It's a fantastic album. I liked Breakup Song a LOT, but I think this is even better. Lots of guitars, which will make some people happy. It seems a bit darker, by Deerhoof standards. Still super fun and catchy, as usual.
MrWarandieBoy

Postby prowler on Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:30 am

yep. i was prepared for a letdown, as the "singles" weren't that interesting, but as usual the album makes a lot more sense as a whole. they did it again :)

tiny bubbles + big house waltz + black pitch = YES
prowler

Postby skoz on Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:39 am

Just saw Deerhoof play for 2 hours at Death By Audio. They ruled as usual.
skoz
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby skoz on Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:23 pm

Michael Shannon.

phpBB [media]
skoz
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby prowler on Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:23 pm

holy moly that was the best thing i have ever seen
prowler

Postby Angus Jung on Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:23 am

So these Deer-hoofs, they are just to play show in Portland, Italia. Just these night, they play.

A dear friend of mine, she want very much for going to these-a show, and she say, "Hey, Signore Jung, you come to these-a show with me, ho-kay."

But I am to feel like maybe these Deer-hoofs, they are thing of my past. So great thing, but thing of past all of the same.

But still, I say "Ho-kay, amiga, I come to these show with you. Maybe I say Ciao to so-good people I am once to call friends, these Greg, John, Satomi, Ed, so good these people, I am to maybe say Ciao to them and see them play the musics."

So: I go to these-a show, and I no can believe how good these-a thing, how good she is. So much of the spirit! So much of the fucked-up and the crazy! So crushing and so happy! I no can believe that these band, 20 years they are to be playing, and they still come and play so bella. I have tears for these thing. I no can believe!

I must to give so big, so bold SALUT! for these Deer-hoofs!

Salut.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby skoz on Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:04 pm

Angus Jung wrote:So these Deer-hoofs, they are just to play show in Portland, Italia. Just these night, they play.

A dear friend of mine, she want very much for going to these-a show, and she say, "Hey, Signore Jung, you come to these-a show with me, ho-kay."

But I am to feel like maybe these Deer-hoofs, they are thing of my past. So great thing, but thing of past all of the same.

But still, I say "Ho-kay, amiga, I come to these show with you. Maybe I say Ciao to so-good people I am once to call friends, these Greg, John, Satomi, Ed, so good these people, I am to maybe say Ciao to them and see them play the musics."

So: I go to these-a show, and I no can believe how good these-a thing, how good she is. So much of the spirit! So much of the fucked-up and the crazy! So crushing and so happy! I no can believe that these band, 20 years they are to be playing, and they still come and play so bella. I have tears for these thing. I no can believe!

I must to give so big, so bold SALUT! for these Deer-hoofs!

Salut.

While I don't speak fake Italiana I heartily endorse these remarks. Salut!
skoz
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby Andrew. on Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:43 am

Michael Shannon is rad, but that new song has no reason to exist. The most generic sounding and pointless thing the band has ever done. It sounds like 1998, in a bad way. Hopefully the rest of the album is better.

Does someone have medical bills or something? I don't get it.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Heath on Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:37 pm

The New record is by far my favorite record they've done. There isn't an ounce of fat or white noise squiggles or goofy shit. Just Deerhoof being the best Deerhoof they can be.

Andrew, try Big House Waltz or Tiny Bubbles. I didn't love Exit Only at first either but I like how it works in the sequence.
I don't need the people of Athens any more than I need another hole in my head. I've got five already, thank you very much.
Heath
bill bradley
bill bradley

Postby Angus Jung on Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:08 am

I listened to the new record (I haven't heard the last 2 or 3 of their records).

This track is incredible.
phpBB [media]

And there's one more great one (Doom, I think it is called) that has a similarly Congotronics-inspired ridiculous groove going.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby prowler on Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:14 am

Andrew. wrote:Michael Shannon is rad, but that new song has no reason to exist. The most generic sounding and pointless thing the band has ever done. It sounds like 1998, in a bad way. Hopefully the rest of the album is better.

Does someone have medical bills or something? I don't get it.

whoa there, no need to get so worked up. i agree it's a mediocre deerhoof song and it did lower my expectations of the album when they released it as a preview, but i agree with Heath that it works very well within the album context.

as for the video, i dig that the song is simple enough to not distract from the amazingness on the screen :smt007 :smt007 :smt007
prowler

Postby Frank Decent on Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:24 pm

Besides making great music these are just great people. They did this for my lady, for her birthday, because I have no boundaries and they are fucking cool.

Edit* This was part of an elaborate ruse for my partner's 40th birthday. I managed to throw her a surprise party and later her on made her cry when I surprised her with this, as a giant poster I had printed up. One of the best moments of my life.
Frank Decent
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap