home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

band: Deerhoof

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Deerhoof

crap
45
21%
not crap
168
79%
 
Total votes : 213

Re: band: Deerhoof

Postby prowler on Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:13 am

(yet another) super insightful short interview with Greg http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06chqml & just an all-around great Freak Zone ep

(use Hola unblocker or something if you're not in the UK)
Last edited by prowler on Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
prowler
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:54 am
Location: Bucharest

Re: band: Deerhoof

Postby jimmy spako on Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:42 am

unfortunately, i haven't followed greg's other output, though i love his drumming & songwriting & any interviews i have ever read/heard of his. can anyone recommend some collabo records?
Isabelle Gall wrote:'Do not go smoothly into that dark night'
User avatar
jimmy spako
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
 
Posts: 5171
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:49 am
Location: schnitzel circuit

Re: band: Deerhoof

Postby skoz on Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:15 am

jimmy spako wrote:unfortunately, i haven't followed greg's other output, though i love his drumming & songwriting & any interviews i have ever read/heard of his. can anyone recommend some collabo records?


I really like the second Curtains record "flybys" on thin wrist recordings. He played synthesizer in that band for a time which also featured/was run by former deerhoof member Chris Cohen. It's mostly instrumental, post beef heart great music.

Les Bon hommes don't have any records out.
User avatar
skoz
carl sagan
carl sagan
 
Posts: 1068
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:15 pm

Re: band: Deerhoof

Postby Angus Jung on Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:47 am

skoz wrote:
jimmy spako wrote:unfortunately, i haven't followed greg's other output, though i love his drumming & songwriting & any interviews i have ever read/heard of his. can anyone recommend some collabo records?


I really like the second Curtains record "flybys" on thin wrist recordings. He played synthesizer in that band for a time which also featured/was run by former deerhoof member Chris Cohen. It's mostly instrumental, post beef heart great music.

I was about to post this exact same thing. Damn.

"Flybys" by The Curtains is indeed the best non-Deerhoof thing I can think of that Greg plays on. He's done quite a few collabs but none of them stick out in my mind as being super great.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9164
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:04 pm
Location: High Desert

Re: band: Deerhoof

Postby skoz on Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:04 pm

Angus Jung wrote:
skoz wrote:
jimmy spako wrote:unfortunately, i haven't followed greg's other output, though i love his drumming & songwriting & any interviews i have ever read/heard of his. can anyone recommend some collabo records?


I really like the second Curtains record "flybys" on thin wrist recordings. He played synthesizer in that band for a time which also featured/was run by former deerhoof member Chris Cohen. It's mostly instrumental, post beef heart great music.

I was about to post this exact same thing. Damn.

"Flybys" by The Curtains is indeed the best non-Deerhoof thing I can think of that Greg plays on. He's done quite a few collabs but none of them stick out in my mind as being super great.


It's still available apparently on LP and CD. Thin Wrist makes really hi quality LPs.

This first Curtains record "Fast Talks" is also really good Diffrent line up Cohen/Shimizu/Peterson. No Greg.
User avatar
skoz
carl sagan
carl sagan
 
Posts: 1068
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:15 pm

Re: band: Deerhoof

Postby skoz on Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:32 pm

phpBB [media]
User avatar
skoz
carl sagan
carl sagan
 
Posts: 1068
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:15 pm

Re: band: Deerhoof

Postby Angus Jung on Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:13 pm

Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9164
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:04 pm
Location: High Desert

Re: band: Deerhoof

Postby skoz on Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:54 pm

User avatar
skoz
carl sagan
carl sagan
 
Posts: 1068
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:15 pm

Re: band: Deerhoof

Postby cak on Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:23 am

I was definitely thinking of buying that. Anyone have thoughts on Eastwood guitars?
User avatar
cak
robert motherwell
robert motherwell
 
Posts: 755
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:34 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: band: Deerhoof

Postby Johnny C on Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:08 pm

My favourite part of that, easy, is the casual admission that Eastwood as a company really enjoys Deerhoof, via a link to a cut from their absolutely essential Pitchfork live session. Eastwood knows what's up.
Rick Reuben wrote:None of us is the person we were supposed to be.

these estates | architects & builders | delta throats | plywood | oiseaux
User avatar
Johnny C
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
 
Posts: 2030
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: The Great White North

Re: band: Deerhoof

Postby garthplinko on Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:18 am

cak wrote:Anyone have thoughts on Eastwood guitars?


They've chosen some of the weirdest stuff to recreate and good on 'em for that, but most of the ones that I've gotten up close with have had bargain-grade hardware and QC issues as well as an overall "toy" feel.

Would def recommend getting up-close-and-personal w/ one if possible before you make a purchase. If Deerhoof themselves came to me and said, "hey we play 364 shows a year and only take one guitar on the road, which brand would you recommend," Eastwood would not be on that list.
User avatar
garthplinko
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
 
Posts: 3817
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:15 pm
Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan

Re: band: Deerhoof

Postby 154 on Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:30 am

Cheap components, neck dive-y (light basswood bodies that ding up easily. the necks bend like hard rubber, though perhaps that's cool..), microphonic pickups. I agree with Garth. Deerhoof can probably make it work because they've always had a bit of a pawn shop aesthetic, but that doesn't mean I would want to.
User avatar
154
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8115
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:56 pm
Location: MKE

Re: band: Deerhoof

Postby skoz on Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:04 pm

Deerhoof is opening a dozen shows for the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Discuss.
User avatar
skoz
carl sagan
carl sagan
 
Posts: 1068
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:15 pm

Re: band: Deerhoof

Postby zircona1 on Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:02 pm

Not crap overall, but mostly on the live front. I saw them a few years ago, Greg is a hell of a drummer. I've tried to get into their studio work, and while I enjoy a few songs from them, every time I've put on one of their albums I get bored after a bit and want to listen to something else.
- "Whatever happened to that album?"
- "I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall, and it like, shattered."
User avatar
zircona1
mo udall
mo udall
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:51 pm
Location: Columbia, MO

Re: band: Deerhoof

Postby cak on Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:56 am

skoz wrote:Deerhoof is opening a dozen shows for the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Discuss.

Good for them....take the money and run.
Also, I went with a mid 2000s "crafted in Japan" Fender Jag, instead of the Deerhoof signature Eastwood. No pawn styley guitars for me.
User avatar
cak
robert motherwell
robert motherwell
 
Posts: 755
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:34 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: band: Deerhoof

Postby pldms on Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:02 am

skoz wrote:Deerhoof is opening a dozen shows for the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Discuss.

  • I assume Flea is behind this? Whenever the RHCP do something good it's Flea.
  • At least the audience will have some chance of hearing something enjoyable.
  • Good for Deerhoof, I think they'll have a good time.
Last edited by pldms on Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
pldms
osiris
osiris
 
Posts: 831
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Bristol

Re: band: Deerhoof

Postby 154 on Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:10 am

cak wrote:
skoz wrote:Deerhoof is opening a dozen shows for the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Discuss.

Good for them....take the money and run.


Indeed. And RHCP has always displayed good taste in other bands and seem sincere about it.

I cringe at all the bro heckles that will be thrown at them, though.
User avatar
154
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8115
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:56 pm
Location: MKE

Re: band: Deerhoof

Postby garthplinko on Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:38 am

154 wrote:
cak wrote:
skoz wrote:Deerhoof is opening a dozen shows for the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Discuss.

Good for them....take the money and run.


Indeed. And RHCP has always displayed good taste in other bands and seem sincere about it.

I cringe at all the bro heckles that will be thrown at them, though.


Maybe. The drumming I think would be enough to win over even the most disengaged listener.
User avatar
garthplinko
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
 
Posts: 3817
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:15 pm
Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan

Re: band: Deerhoof

Postby skoz on Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:25 pm

I'd love see them play an arena. Curious how they would handle that sort of venue.
User avatar
skoz
carl sagan
carl sagan
 
Posts: 1068
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:15 pm

Re: band: Deerhoof

Postby cak on Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:10 pm

I imagine it would be a bit like watching the Beatles or the Who. Deerhoof has always seemed like a band that would kill it in an arena setting.
User avatar
cak
robert motherwell
robert motherwell
 
Posts: 755
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:34 pm
Location: Oregon

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 11 guests