Choice!
89%
Stink!
11%

Total votes : 36

Countries: New Zealand

Postby Gramsci on Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:02 am

Just a little vox-pops to see what you fellas think of my home-world
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Champion Rabbit on Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:22 am

Always looks amazing in picture form, but I've never visited to can't vote.

Do you still have the Orc problem there?

Going down the only road I've ever known.
Champion Rabbit
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Gramsci on Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:31 am

Champion Rabbit wrote:Always looks amazing in picture form, but I've never visited to can't vote.

Do you still have the Orc problem there?

Yeah, fucking Peter Jackson didn't clean up properly. There are still a few tribes in down in Fiordland stealing sheep and killing the locals.

One of the best things -apart from the low cost of living, non-existant unemployment, good weather and the beach no more than two hours away no matter where you live-... is the great music and art scene, I'm really looking forward to getting back there in 2007. But I'll miss London and Europe a lot.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Champion Rabbit on Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:36 am

Yeah, I was into the Flying Nun stuff years ago, and Submarine Bells is one of my favourite records. NZ bands seem to have something a little different going on. Apart from that fucking terrible cred-metal band, I forget the name.
Champion Rabbit

Postby cjh on Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:44 am

I'm going to have to go by the experiences and photos of friends who have spent time there but it looks utterly stunning, I'd visit at the drop of a hat. The few people I know well from there are absolute diamonds and musically it punches well above it's weight - early Dunedin bands, The Dead C, High Dependency Unit.

Sorry to invoke a stereotype but I like the accent a lot too - there was a chef on TV a few years ago pedalling his 'fusion cuisine' and I distinctly recall a recipe that required 'sivin iggs'.

Is there any rivalry between the North and South islands? Geographically at least they're a good bit different.
cjh
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Gramsci on Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:58 am

cjh wrote:Is there any rivalry between the North and South islands? Geographically at least they're a good bit different.

Oh, yeah, although it's mainly Auckland verses the rest of us!

I'm in the middle though, Northern family, grew up down south.

Champ, I'm not sure. Metal is pretty big at home. It wasn't Shihad was it? Apart from a crappy MOR radio album for the US market, most of their output has been really great, Killjoy is amazing.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Rimbaud III on Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:01 am

cjh wrote:...musically it punches well above it's weight ...The Dead C...

Seconded, with added "fuck YEAH!".

Your gangs are meant to be pretty scary.
Rimbaud III
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Champion Rabbit on Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:01 am

The band that was signed to V2, and sounded like Deep Purple. Horrible, horrible band.

Can't remember the name, no matter!
Champion Rabbit

Postby Gramsci on Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:07 am

Rimbaud III wrote:

Ha, that's funny Bruce Russell is a bit of local hero amongst the indie-alt music fans. I saw a Dead C show that involved a tape loop of and a bunch of gear just left on stage to feedback!

Champ, you'll be talking about The Datsuns... and yes they are shite.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Rimbaud III on Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:07 am

You're quite funny too...
Rimbaud III

Postby cutshaw on Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:04 am

I have visited NZ twice, which is quite a feat as I’m petrified of flying. I loved every single second of the time I was there, it’s a beautiful country and if I could afford it I would go back at the drop of a hat.

I used to see a girl from Auckland and have quite a few mates from NZ, in fact in my whole experience so far, I have only ever met one bad Kiwi.

I was in Auckland so didn’t really pick up on anything else apart from Dance and Electronica as far as music goes. A friend bought me a ticket to see Neil Finn and friends at the St James’ Theatre which was a strange mix and I spent most of my time at the classic comedy bar where I saw the bass player from the commodores do some really funny stand up.

What I did pick up though was the frikken hilarious Radio Hauraki, I know it’s considered a bit of a beer drinkers and hell raisers station, but it was an excellent companion on the drive down to Wellington.

Whangarei way up north, Auckland, Napier, Hastings, Rotorua, Lake Taupo, Wellington, Kayaking the Abel Tazman, Tiny Picton, Blenheim, Nelson, Richmond I vow to return!!!!!!

Salut Aotearoa
dontfeartheringo wrote:...You're not performing spinal surgery, you're getting relatively even tension on a plastic membrane which you will then strike with GREAT FORCE using a wooden stick.
cutshaw
alan dershowitz
alan dershowitz

Postby Gramsci on Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:47 am

Rimbaud III wrote:

Yeah, we've got proper biker gangs... They're not that scary, just stay away from them.

Who the fuck voted stink!!!

Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Andrew L. on Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:17 am

Well, which of the New Zealands is it that you refer to? I hate to generalize about people who talk funny after all.
Andrew L.
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby Gramsci on Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:18 am

LAD wrote:

Well, which of the New Zealands is it that you refer to? I hate to generalize about people who talk funny after all.

How many countries called New Zealand are there? Oh, and I don't have an accent, this is just how English sounds when it's spoken properly.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby mackro on Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:37 pm

Considering I actually flew to see a band from New Zealand play (Tall Dwarfs) last week, I'd have to say "Choice!". If things work out, I plan to visit NZ and Australia for the first time in April.

But, I'm somewhat of a Flying Nun rock freak. I mean I almost literally shit my pants when I saw a clean copy of the Gordons' "Future Shock" EP at my neighborhood record store for $9US. (Sorry dudes, I bought that fucker in nanoseconds.)
"Pro Tools is too California Hollywood bullshit.”
mackro
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby glynnisjohns on Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:59 pm

When i finally get exiled from the states (creditors.)
This Beautiful and strange place named New Zealand will be my first stop.
And to you who live there, i am terribly jealous.
This image is gleaned from photographs, movies, second hand hippie lore. Seems reel purty.
glynnisjohns
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby soul_rancher on Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:54 pm

I'd hef to say choice ay bro!

Despite it's proximity, I've never been to Aotearoa. From hearsay and conjecture I've determined that it is a country one tenth the size of Australia, but at least one million times more interesting. I can, however, always get a little Kiwi flavour in Sydney's eastern suburbs.

Kiwi bands rock: Bailterspace, Dead C, The Clean, The Bats, Die!Die!Die!, The Coolies, The 3Ds...basically anything except Shihad/Pacifier/Shihad or Salmonella Dub.
Toby Baldwin
Soul Ranch Leichhardt
soul_rancher
piece of shit
piece of shit

Postby Angriest_Dragon on Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:07 pm

I like almost all the music I've ever heard from there.
My only problem with NZ and Australia is that I'm a smoker and that is a long ass flight.

Choice! :WF: 3
Angriest_Dragon
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Gramsci on Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:49 am

soul_rancher wrote:I'd hef to say choice ay bro!

Despite it's proximity, I've never been to Aotearoa. From hearsay and conjecture I've determined that it is a country one tenth the size of Australia, but at least one million times more interesting. I can, however, always get a little Kiwi flavour in Sydney's eastern suburbs.

Kiwi bands rock: Bailterspace, Dead C, The Clean, The Bats, Die!Die!Die!, The Coolies, The 3Ds...basically anything except Shihad/Pacifier/Shihad or Salmonella Dub.

Come on, early Shihad is good, but they have fallen of the cliff after Killjoy... that was 10 years ago... as for Sal Dub, I know some of those guys and I can tell you, their egos know no bounds and they are shite.

But Bailterspace get a huge "choice!", and so do you for being an Aussie and admitting to liking NZ!!!
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Gramsci on Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:51 am

Angriest_Dragon wrote:I like almost all the music I've ever heard from there.
My only problem with NZ and Australia is that I'm a smoker and that is a long ass flight.

Choice! :WF: 3

Christ, get a fucking haircut!

And patches work fine, or snus... www.swedish-snus.com
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap