Countries: New Zealand

Choice!
89%
Stink!
11%

Total votes : 36

Re: Countries: New Zealand

Postby Jodi S. on Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:05 pm

Anyone here either from or know someone who lives in Whanganui, NZ?

I have a colleague who's going there around Eastertime. He's a great photographer, and an excellent person. It would be nice for him to have a "friend" to have a beer with or something.
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby Anthony Flack on Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:07 am

Whanganui (I'm still getting used to the newly-added 'h' - it was until recently known as Wanganui) is an even smaller and arguably even less happening town than where we live. What's he doing over there? The most newsworthy thing to happen in Whanganui in recent decades has been the business with the h.

No Whanganui connections on my part I'm afraid. If he happens to make his way across to Napier, I'd be happy to show him a mediocre time.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Jodi S. on Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:21 pm

He's been photographing Easter observances all around the world for about 20 years, and there's a church in Whanganui that supposedly has a celebration that is part Christian, part Maori. He's never been to the Antipodes, so this is a very appealing destination.
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby Anthony Flack on Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:56 pm

Ok, sure. That sounds like something you might find in Whanganui.

Many of the early European settlers were missionaries, so in the usual Polynesian fashion Maori were persuaded to ditch their old gods for the Jesus-themed model, while retaining a lot of the traditions and cultural practices, ancestor worship and other spiritual beliefs. So this sort of Christian/Polynesian spiritual mashup is a pretty common feature of Maori culture.

Not sure what it is about Jesus that makes him more appealing than Ranginui and Papatuanuku, but I guess the missionaries probably seemed quite impressive to a stone age culture.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby garthplinko on Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:55 pm

After 3 weeks there, I'll just say we had an amazing time and a perfect (and well-needed) vacation.

Going somewhere on vacation (or any time traveling really), I've always supposed that you don't really get an accurate picture of a place. It always reminds me of the blind scholars describing an elephant. That being said, we got to do an awful lot in a short amount of time and consider ourselves extremely fortunate to have had the experience. A beautiful country to say the least and if the right job offer came along, we wouldn't hesitate to move.

Super-quick rundown:
Auckland > Waitomo > Rotura > Motueka/Abel Tasman > Cape Foulwinds > Pancake Rocks > the glaciers > Haast pass > Queenstown > Milford Sound

We were fortunate in that we had very very little rain for most of our stay - made for nice walks but some parts were in a bit of a drought.

All the places we stopped at are highly recommended. For Nikki, her favorite part was the overnight boat ride at Milford Sound. We had a seal get out of the water and say hello on the back of our boat around 11 PM - being from the midwest US, seals are very exciting for us to see.

For me, my favorite part was taking a day to hike a section of the Routeburn track. Towards the end I got to do some swimming at the most beautiful swimming spot ever (very possibly the coldest too).

I hope to go back someday very soon, but it'll be a long time before the change jar fills up enough to do it again.
garthplinko
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Clyde on Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:01 pm

Didn't know where else to put this. Shot in the dark. Does anybody know where I can find a the documentary Bastion Point: Day 507 to stream? It's not on NZ on Screen and I haven't had any luck finding a source through an academic library.
NewDarkAge wrote:Dialectics, mate. No easy answers.
Clyde
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Me Again on Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:59 pm

Unrelated to the above post, but...there's a new Sneaky Feelings album coming out this year, said to be their last. I don't like everything Flying Nun has put out but if this record is anything like Progress Junction it should be great.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
the white ho
the white ho

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap