Choice!
89%
Stink!
11%

Total votes : 36

Re: Countries: New Zealand

Postby Gramsci on Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:16 am

... I wasn't really being serious.

It's rather obvious the NZ would destroy the Brazil team... they're too worried about their makeup...

clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Anthony Flack on Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:06 am

Gramsci wrote:... I wasn't really being serious.

I figured, but I do think it's interesting, the different cultural attitudes.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby garthplinko on Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:38 am

Looks like FutureWife and I will be coming there for our honeymoon.

Probably going to go tip to tail if we can via car and we have about two weeks. Probably hit the usual tourist spots but most interested in getting to the secret spots that are less-googled.
garthplinko
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Gramsci on Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:16 am

garthplinko wrote:Looks like FutureWife and I will be coming there for our honeymoon.

Probably going to go tip to tail if we can via car and we have about two weeks. Probably hit the usual tourist spots but most interested in getting to the secret spots that are less-googled.

Hey, I don't get home much but will FB my friend back home for tips.

The Googled Tourist spots are pretty awesome.

I would recommend the two extremes of the country, far North and deep South.

The Bay of Islands is beautiful, if you're staying somewhere for a week or long weekend I'd recommend Russell http://www.russellnz.co.nz it's one of the countries oldest cities... maybe Savannah is the closest US city I can think of...
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Carl on Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:16 pm

garthplinko wrote:Looks like FutureWife and I will be coming there for our honeymoon.

Be very careful. CurrentWife and I honeymooned there and loved it so much we moved to Christchurch four years later.

You can see what we did way back when, but things have changed. (All of the places we stayed at in Christchurch have been destroyed.) My recommendation is to get to the South Island as quickly as possible and rent (or even purchase, using a buy-back lot) a car to visit the places the trains won't go. Travel guides will direct you to the glaciers, Mt. Cook, and Fiordland. Go to all of them, but also spend a night in Kaikoura, visit the Moeraki Boulders, and try to take the incredibly turbulent ferry down to Stewart Island for a couple days.

Your jet lag won't be quite as bad if you can break up the flight with a few days in Hawaii or California. The distance is the only downside to visiting New Zealand.
dvockins wrote:That is the most pretentious bullshit I have heard in the last three years and I live in Brooklyn.
Carl
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Anthony Flack on Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:28 pm

Thanks to privatisation, the places the trains won't go is a lot of fuckin' places, now.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby dvockins on Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:27 pm

garthplinko wrote:Probably going to go tip to tail if we can via car and we have about two weeks.

Take or leave it, but that's too much time in the car. I did three weeks on the north island exclusively and it felt rushed.
dvockins
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby Anthony Flack on Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:03 pm

Driving the South Island is much more exciting. The scenery is pretty wild. It's probably worth it for the drive alone.

The North Island is mostly just mildly hilly farmland and is pretty boring. Also right now all the roads are flooded and collapsed and fucked up, which is just great.

Time to spend some money on infrastructure south of Auckland, you fucks.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby garthplinko on Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:10 pm

This won't be until Christmas time. I know that's super-peak season but that's how it's gotta work out.

I think we have to fly in and out of Auckland, don't we? And not exactly sure if we are going to do a package trip or what at this point - which is why I'm here. Trying to research. I may never in my life get to do something like this and I don't want to fuck it up.
garthplinko

Postby brisket on Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:31 pm

I second the far north/deep south idea, esp. in December. Maybe a few days driving north from Auckland to 90 Mile Beach or Cape Reinga, with a bit of touristin' in the Bay of Islands (being sure to get out on the water somehow). Then back to Auckland ASAP, and fly down to Christchurch or Dunedin, explore the Southern Alps and back country from there. You'd be missing a whole lot in the middle, but that's a given if you only have two weeks.

the far north: beaches, sun (hopefully, in December), trees, strong Maori culture, poverty
the far south: mountains, glaciers, fjords, solitude, farmers

both places are full of extremely laid-back people.
brisket
johnny moss
johnny moss

Postby harpseal2 on Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:59 pm

I really loved this little town called Dunedin when I visited, and Queenstown was quite nice too.

Definitely not crap! I find it better than Australia in a lot of ways.
scarnon
harpseal2
a² + b² = c²
a² + b² = c²

Postby Carl on Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:18 am

You can fly into Christchurch, but check prices to see if that makes sense. In late December, absolutely try to hit Stewart Island and Fiordland. It'll be probably be the furthest south on the planet you'll ever get absent an Antarctic trip, and you'll have extended daylight to see the indigenous wildlife.

Fiordland swarms with tourists at Christmastime so reservations as soon as possible will make your trip a better one.
dvockins wrote:That is the most pretentious bullshit I have heard in the last three years and I live in Brooklyn.
Carl

Postby Gramsci on Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:56 am

harpseal2 wrote:...
Definitely not crap! I find it better than Australia in a lot of ways.

I should bloody well hope so!

I was born in the Deep South. The drive from top of the South Island across to the West Coast through the centre to Otago then Fiordland goes like this:

BUT

You may get sick of looking at mountains... Andrew will kill me for this but Auckland is really worth a visit.

Great mix of Europe and Asia.

Further north from Auckland is the historical cradle of the country were my Dad grew up

Russell - we rented a house there for a week and beside a nature reserve and go woken by Kiwi calls in the night.

Waitangi, where it all started...

Just my view.

I will say anything less than two weeks New Zealand is undoable, to be honest anything less than a month is pushing it.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:13 pm

Man, I haven't even been to Stewart Island, ever. In fact I've never been further south than Dunedin.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Gramsci on Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:38 am

Anthony Flack wrote:Man, I haven't even been to Stewart Island, ever. In fact I've never been further south than Dunedin.

Nothing there.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby matt_stevens on Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:06 am

Gramsci wrote:I will say anything less than two weeks New Zealand is undoable

I'm going to Wellington at the end of next week - I've got three days there, two of which will mostly be spent working. Saturday I've got to myself. I saw a Slow Boat recommendation upthread, any other suggestions for a very short trip? I think I might just hire a car and go exploring.
matt_stevens
johnny moss
johnny moss

Postby Gramsci on Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:46 am

matt_stevens wrote:
Gramsci wrote:I will say anything less than two weeks New Zealand is undoable

I'm going to Wellington at the end of next week - I've got three days there, two of which will mostly be spent working. Saturday I've got to myself. I saw a Slow Boat recommendation upthread, any other suggestions for a very short trip? I think I might just hire a car and go exploring.

Hey, Showboat is great, if you like NZ music it's a goldmine, but possible better Jeremy can tell you what's going on in town.

FM Andrew should be the best PRF helper as he lives in Welli.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby WeStartToDrift on Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:39 am

Anthony Flack wrote:Man, I haven't even been to Stewart Island, ever. In fact I've never been further south than Dunedin.

Oh man, you should go. The ferry ride can be pretty brutal if the weather is crap (as to be expected), but the Rakiura Track is phenomenal. Plus no one really goes down there so once you get out of Oban you'll never see another human.

I lived in Nelson for a while, and I have a strong affinity for the South Island. If I won the lottery I would move to Golden Bay in a heartbeat.
WeStartToDrift
hindu
hindu

Postby Anthony Flack on Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:46 pm

Once the little one is a bit older and our finances aren't such an immediate concern we might have to undertake some kind of family trip.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby garthplinko on Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:01 am

Leaving tomorrow!
garthplinko

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap