City: Minneapolis

CRAP?
14%
NOT CRAP?
86%

Total votes : 72

Re: City: Minneapolis

Postby the Classical on Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:41 am

zom-zom wrote:Years ago you used to be able to buy slices of pizza and such out of a little window in the main room.

That front left side of the main room next to the PA stack will probably smell like burnt cheese for the next 500 yrs.
the Classical
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby zom-zom on Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:55 am

Burnt cheese, charred crust and roaches.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby El Protoolio on Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:04 pm

I'll say it again, it's very nice here. One could do a lot worse in the US. There's good food, culture, shows, record stores, etc. It's inexpensive and affordable. Plus I like having Chicago available but not having to live with the traffic all the time. Also for what I pay and compared to Chicago or especially Los Angeles my apartment is fucking huge.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby geiginni on Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:26 pm

zom-zom wrote:Nope nope nope, Florida is hell on earth.

This is nice. The weather here is great.

This is correct.

I hate upper midwest winters, but I'd easily move back to MSP rather than to Florida.

The summers are gorgeous. The winters can suck in a big way.
geiginni
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby El Protoolio on Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:15 am

Meeting some friends on Sunday for drinks. It's up to me to pick a place as they are from out of town. They are hitting the Walker before hand so I figured something around Uptown, LynLake, Lake Calhoun, etc.

Any suggestions? I have been to the Bryant Bowl and would love something similar but without bowling.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby zom-zom on Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:24 am

BLB is probably my favorite as it's genuinely old, has great drinks, good food and nice staff & music.
The bowling is easy to ignore.

Across the street and down a block is an okay Irish Pub, Morrissey's. I've been there a few times, good food and drinks. Pretty new, but it's not a bad bar.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby El Protoolio on Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:04 am

I don't mind BLB just looking for some place I'd never been. We might end up at Grumpys though. I'd love a place like Gold Star in Chicago. That's their favorite bar. I'm gonna ask that Charlie P character too, he seems up on the bar scene.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby zom-zom on Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:36 am

There's really not many bars I'd go to in the "Uptown" area, many are douche-holes. Grumpy's is cool, but downtown or NE. If you're going that far you might as well check out Nye's Polonaise before it goes under. The shitty owners are selling it. Totally worth going to. Also good NE is Mayslack's. I like the old joints. Grumpy's NE is pretty tiny and quite "neighborhood" but the manager/bartenders are great guys.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby El Protoolio on Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:52 am

Oh yeah I've been hearing about Nyes, maybe I'll try that. Was also considering Matts the supposed home of the Jucy Lucy. That place any good?
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby zom-zom on Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:13 am

Matt's is only good for getting a grease burger. It's pretty small and dank, I do like one of those nasty burgers and fries every few years though. But I wouldn't go there for drinks.

I think you'd like Nye's, they have a small old bar plus the big room has a piano bar, gold metal flake booths, all original old-school decor.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Yngwie Einstein on Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:58 pm

I went to Nye's a couple years ago while visiting with a friend. Great bar. Half the bar was dancing to polka music. Too bad the owners are selling. I read a quote from one of them saying he announced they are closing in hopes of generating a "Hot Doug's" response from longtime patrons and fans. I'd go there before that parcel of land is filled with condos.
Yngwie Einstein
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby El Protoolio on Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:28 pm

How about that place across from Treehouse, CC's? That place looks oldish.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby mt on Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:15 am

El Protoolio wrote:How about that place across from Treehouse, CC's? That place looks oldish.

I do not frequent Minneapolis all that much but I believe it has some history.
mt
the white ho
the white ho

Postby El Protoolio on Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:38 am

That's it. That's the Gold Star kind of bar I was looking for in that general area, both are old seedy dives with a colorful history in relatively recently gentrified neighborhoods. Shots and beers, nothing fancy. Perfect. Thanks for that link FMmt.

My friends hit Nye last night already so that's out. I mean it doesn't have to be but it is.

Edited to add I checked it out and it's more like Rainbo in its history but still, suits my needs that day perfectly. Rainbo is cool when its empty. Any PRFs want to join me hit me up for times. Probably late afternoon or early evening. We are over 40 and one of them is here for training.
Last edited by El Protoolio on Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby zom-zom on Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:02 am

I don't know anyone that still goes there. Through the 80s and early 90s it was our bar-hangout. Across the street, where there's currently a vacant lot, was a house that Flour, Brian Paulson, Scott from Arcwelder and several other friends lived over the years. Rifle Sport had a record release party for White Made In France there in 1987. It was around that time that "tourists" started coming.. it wasn't unusual to hear a bartender paging Pirner or whomever over the PA and then seeing a bunch of people standing up and looking around excitedly. It was recently bought by the fancy French Meadow Bakery people next door.

I suppose it's worth checking out if you've never been there. I'm curious to see what you think. I haven't been in for at least ten years now. Ms. Zom used to live behind Oarfolk and we were there frequently. It was pretty great back then, you'd always find friends hanging out to sit with, share a pitcher and some greasy snacks. I'm guessing eventually it will get fancy-fied like everything else around here. The French Meadow Bakery used to be Small Engine City, a lawnmower repair shop.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby El Protoolio on Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:09 am

Yeah see I have to check it out. You just sold me even more. Plus I love Treehouse so I can hit that up. I just moved here after living in Dog Town for a few years after living in Wicker Park/Ukrainian Village from 98-08. Always ten or fifteen or twenty years too late to the party.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby zom-zom on Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:56 am

Sorry I still call Treehouse "Oarfolk" because old. It used to be Oarfolkjokeopus records.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby zom-zom on Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:58 am

And "The Bulldog" used to be The Mud Pie, one of the earliest vegetarian restaurants, probably the first in the area. Punk rock staff, old wooden hippie decor, really good inexpensive food. Sort of miss that joint. The "Nightingale" was a little grocery back then.. I saw The Hulk buying yogurt one time.. across the street and next to the CC was a gym for a while.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby matthew on Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:10 pm

I stayed at the Hilton there in Minneapolis last moon on the way back driving from the East Coast. I'd driven non-stop from Chicago and wanted to take a stroll through town......I seriously had no idea that there was a fucking Garth Brooks concert that evening. I didn't even know he was still in circulation. Needless to say I got caught up in a lot of traffic and stupid northern redneck/Canadian redneck mindlessness.

Other than that.....I do love the Cities. Super clean, full of culture and good people and good things to do.
...diesque nostros in tua pace disponas...
matthew
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby El Protoolio on Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:48 pm

CCs was just perfect. Empty and divey. Some younger hipsters came in but it didn't get annoying at all. I can see why this was THE place at one time. Our waitress had face piercings and tattoos so it's still "alternative" or whatever. Reminded me of some of the divey cheesy bars in Portland. Definitely NOT CRAP and would go again.

I want to point out though that the exit at 11th from 94 that spills onto Lyndale is fucking BULLSHIT. It's a bottleneck. Traffic was backed up a mile on the freeway. That was crap. Some of the interchanges and exits and shit around here fucking suck harder than the 110 in Pasadena California.

Thanks to FM Smitty Yeagermanjensen for making it out. Nice to meet you and good times! Thanks!
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap