Nutball: Neil Young

Crap
7%
Not Crap
93%

Total votes : 347

Re: Nutball: Neil Young

Postby travelin_pete on Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:41 pm

The entire archives are now free for everyone.
Jeremy B wrote:Grateful Dead > Melvins
travelin_pete
seminarian
seminarian

Postby the finger genius on Fri May 22, 2020 7:57 am

I've been revisiting NY while listening to the "So Far" episodes of The Best Show, and forgot how great he is, especially this run of records from Harvest to American Stars and Bars.
cjh wrote:Half Man, Half Brioche?

I play drums in Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death

I play everything in Grass Jaw
the finger genius
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby DregsInTheCrowd on Sun May 24, 2020 12:04 am

Homegrown: pre-ordered!
My name is Mike, and I play music in Stripper Deville.
DregsInTheCrowd
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby Gramsci on Sun May 24, 2020 4:39 am

Whatever happened to his expensive toblerone media player?
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Andrew. on Sun May 24, 2020 8:56 am

Gramsci wrote:Whatever happened to his expensive toblerone media player?

Folded in spring 2017 according to the wiki. Young was also a huge biofuel enthusiast. He's a rich grumpy hippie. Heart in the right place and not afraid to throw in on stuff he sees as possible solutions, however misguided in retrospect.
Andrew.
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby VaticanShotglass on Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:16 pm

So what do you think he's on about with "I guess I'll call it sickness gone." I know it's hard to know the meaning of that song, but what do you think?

Also, I know what I've said up thread, but weeks like this. Man, a man needs a personal assistant. Fucking forms man.
VaticanShotglass
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby DregsInTheCrowd on Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:02 pm

”Try”and ”Vacancy” from Homegrown have been released, and they are predictably outstanding. "Vacancy" is not at all what I expected from this album. It makes less sense than ever that this record was shelved.
DregsInTheCrowd
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby Ike on Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:49 pm

Homegrown is kind of a masterpiece.

Can't think of a proper comparison: Records a record in a fury 45 years ago. Sits on it/farms a few songs out (different recordings, mind you), and then caves and releases the thing. Has that happened before? He was on such a tear in the 70's, it is actually kinda shocking.

It's right in line with Tonight's the Night and On the Beach.
Ike
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby nicholas on Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:45 pm

How is this version of the song Homegrown on the actual record Homegrown not terrible? On American Stars 'n Bars it's one of my least favorite Neil songs of the seventies, but here it's kinda charming. And the weirdo call and response interplay between the instruments--it's like that scene in Roger Rabbit where he just HAS to end the shave-and-a-haircut knock, but on guitars. I don't know how it's so different, but it is. After 4 or 5 listens I don't hate it--is my critical sense fried? I'm worried this time next year I'm gonna be like "Sure Barstool Blues is alright, but you gotta hear Motorcycle Mama..."
I play in Suzanne The Plan and run Endless Records.
nicholas
monsignior
monsignior

Postby VaticanShotglass on Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:38 pm

Don't have the album yet, but I agree about other versions of Homegrown the song. Kinda goofy, kinda catchy. It could work well in context though. A lot can ride on sequencing.
VaticanShotglass

Postby DregsInTheCrowd on Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:25 pm

VaticanShotglass wrote:Don't have the album yet, but I agree about other versions of Homegrown the song. Kinda goofy, kinda catchy. It could work well in context though. A lot can ride on sequencing.

Absolutely. Crazy Horse’s “Homegrown” is a wonderful performance, but it always suffered from being placed right after motherfucking “Like A Hurricane,” so it’s really never been a fair fight. Love that version. Love the new one just as much, maybe more.
DregsInTheCrowd
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby VaticanShotglass on Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:19 pm

So I got Homegrown last week sometime. I got to listen to it on a five hour drive over the weekend. I love it. It moved me. It sounds great. Who is playing on this thing? The slide guitar is amazing. Also, if you burn it to a cd, it fits nicely with Hitchhiker.

"Separate Ways"
We have a thread around here about songs making you cry? Besides that, it sounds great. It introduces many aspects that run through the record. The subject matter, the fantastic mix, and the way some of these songs have a low key morphing quality. I love how Neil can shift a progression on a note and slide things around.

"Try"
A loping second gear cruise. The simplicity is elevated by the near painful sincerity and amazing slide guitar.

"Mexico"
What? This track didn't burn to my disk! Sounds nice, but I haven't digested it yet.

"Love Is a Rose"
This one I love on a personal level. The live "Dance Dance Dance" version played at my wedding. That's all over now, this is a new song and this is a new day. Love is rose, folks, better not pick it.

"Homegrown"
Put your fears to rest, everyone. Slap your knees and stomp your foot. Everything is fine. This is a fun little jam. I love the half a sleep riff that is panned left.

"Florida"
Yes! More please!

"Kansas"
Holy shit! In the context of t
he album this song is a sneaky little blow. I love how dark the guitar playing is and some of the descending vocals. I also love the little bit about gliding appearing just after the last track. It all just captures a very specific vibe so well.

"We Don't Smoke It No More"
Corny but lovable jam #2. Love that slide. Kinda makes me wish I did smoke it anymore.

"White Line"
Maybe the apex of the album depending on whether you favor the rocking track coming up next. This is also where I get to the stuff that I have heard before, but differently and on albums I only borrowed and not bought. Anyway, lyrically a good heavy trip newly stitched firmly in a context through the recording and performance continuity with the rest of the tracks on this album. Might should be in the thread about songs making you cry.

"Vacancy"
Hot damn! The first few notes hit and you might worry that this might be just some chugging clunker, but it's not! It quickly shifts into this steely eyed groove with great vocal delivery. The guitar just gets better as it goes. Lyrics are on point and carry a tight vibe without a fumble. When Neil really gets into the lead a few minutes in it is both familiar but also a little different than his previous and later high pitched solos. Oh and this whole album sounds fantastic!

"Little Wing"
I remember this one from highschool. I like it. I like winter.

"Star of Bethlehem"
Another new old song. But it's great. Maybe it wasn't a star at all. Shit. What a series of blows.

Ain't it hard
When you wake up
In the morning
And you find out
That those other days
Are gone?
All you have
Is memories of happiness
Lingerin' on

All your dreams
And your lovers
Won't protect you
They're only passing
Through you in the end
They'll leave
You stripped of all
That they can get to
And wait for you
To come back again

Yet still a light is shining
From that lamp on down the hall
Maybe the star of Bethlehem
Wasn't a star at all
VaticanShotglass

Postby Mama Clortho on Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:14 pm

Seperate Ways being the first song did a bit of a number on me.

“Oh my god what the fuck have we got here.”

Whole album is good, but the context of the record and having that perfect song kick it off...
Mama Clortho
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby VaticanShotglass on Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:55 pm

Mama Clortho wrote:Seperate Ways being the first song did a bit of a number on me.

“Oh my god what the fuck have we got here.”

Whole album is good, but the context of the record and having that perfect song kick it off...

Yeah. Jesus. Wham!
VaticanShotglass

Postby mattw on Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:37 pm

Just by happy accident, I was messing around and got a tone that was fairly close to the Dead Man soundtrack. Love what he did for that movie...
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby wellbutrin on Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:05 pm

Homegrown is a wonderful, gorgeous record. I was really excited when I saw Levon was on drums for a few tracks. Robbie is on there too but I'm kind of meh on him as a player as I think a lot of people are.

My physical copy arrived today. Here's the "Special Thanks":

Tumbleweed, Emmylou Harris, Broken Arrow Ranch, Elliot Mazer, Tim Drummond, Ben Keith, Stan Szelest, Karl T Himmel, Levon Helm, Tim Mulligan

That's everybody who played on the record, except RR. Amazing. I guess Neil is on Team Levon! I'm still undecided, personally.
wellbutrin
mal evans
mal evans

Postby <3janeway on Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:26 pm

VaticanShotglass wrote:So what do you think he's on about with "I guess I'll call it sickness gone." I know it's hard to know the meaning of that song, but what do you think?

Also, I know what I've said up thread, but weeks like this. Man, a man needs a personal assistant. Fucking forms man.

i thought it was like love sickness gone, like he used to have love sickness and now thats even gone.

this is my favorite thread lol i love the neil young thread :P
<3janeway
cy twombly
cy twombly

Postby <3janeway on Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:55 pm

ambulance sounds like neil young talking about a lover in the past leading up to the marriage hes in now that kinda sounds like separate ways like "my old lady aint happy and i feel bad because i want her to be happy and i want to please myself too with both of us being happy"

he's like back in the good old folky days me and isabella had a scene, i liked her at her best with all her makeup on in her prime but life hurts isabellas sometimes and how could i see that happen? and then he calls his old lady mother goose of his kids and shes takes things out on him and he wishes he could do better by her

and then hes thinking about love and wives and lovers like romeo does when he says "parting is such sweet sorrow" like its an awful feeling being without love but its the most delicious kinda awful but then if you dont even have love sickness cause the girl disappears theres just nothing and thats too sad so neil young tries to play with it figuring it out for 7 to 9 minutes or so

man theres nothing like working on my tan lines during the day and dancing to neil young at night, theres so many stars even though wrigley field is having its own cosmic explosion, its feels like someones taking a picture of me with the flash on but it stays on and its wrigley field and they mustve gotten a spaceship's headlights when they won the world series because its so bright, this is what orbiting a star must feel like
<3janeway
cy twombly
cy twombly

Postby <3janeway on Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:17 pm

i don't like the line "mississippi mud never touched her fingers" that's when I'm like "a southern man don't need him around anyhow"

sometimes a girl is still a girl and she's touched Mississippi mud with her grandma talking about eating plums off the trees growing up and sometimes she's flown to California for weddings and family visits and sometimes a guy marries the wrong california-only kinda woman cause at least she's a woman and not a girl figuring it out like Rey like am I a Jedi or? but everything happens at the right time for a reason

but you can't prefer hollywood fake over the heartland, that's not the kinda girl I want touching me becoming her man in the morning. stop it. come get this done piece.

wow these Neil young lyrics and like decyphering ancient egypt lol
<3janeway
cy twombly
cy twombly

Postby VaticanShotglass on Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:02 pm

dang
VaticanShotglass

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap