Nutball: Neil Young

Crap
6%
Not Crap
94%

Total votes : 340

Re: Nutball: Neil Young

Postby offal on Tue May 13, 2014 10:07 am

Neil Young Records Straight to Vinyl With Jack White's Third Man Booth on "The Tonight Show"

http://pitchfork.com/news/55169-neil-yo ... ight-show/
offal
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby holmes on Tue May 13, 2014 11:18 am

New album is amazing.
Here comes another load of joy
holmes
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby howlowbowielow on Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:50 pm

Probably not better than this.
phpBB [media]
howlowbowielow
homestar
homestar

Postby tallchris on Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:48 pm

Billy Talbot had a minor stroke and is sitting out the upcoming NY&CH tour. CH will have a fill-in bassist and two back up singers:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... e-20140630
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Carl on Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:21 pm

Rick Rosas has played bass with Young since at least the Bluenotes era (1988). More importantly, his nickname is Rick "The Bass Player" Rosas.
dvockins wrote:That is the most pretentious bullshit I have heard in the last three years and I live in Brooklyn.
Carl
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:57 pm

tallchris wrote:Billy Talbot had a minor stroke and is sitting out the upcoming NY&CH tour. CH will have a fill-in bassist and two back up singers:

See, I was telling you how important his backing vocals were to the Horse. TWO BACK UP SINGERS to fill the spot of ONE Billy Talbot. Looks like Billy is expected to make a full recovery though, but man, don't spook the Horse like that!
Jazz Titan/Ruthie Cohen

KJ/HM/MH/DB

"I'm not in the Kiss Army. But I am in the reserves, and could be called up at any time." - Warmowski
four_oclocker_2
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby m3kcomp on Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:35 pm

Rick Rosas is alright and all but that ain't gonna be Crazy Horse up there.

Just ain't.
m3kcomp
paul schaffer
paul schaffer

Postby holmes on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:45 pm

m3kcomp wrote:Rick Rosas is alright and all but that ain't gonna be Crazy Horse up there.

Just ain't.

I hope they change the drummer for the gig as well.
holmes

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:11 pm

holmes wrote:
m3kcomp wrote:Rick Rosas is alright and all but that ain't gonna be Crazy Horse up there.

Just ain't.

Huh, I'm starting to think that maybe you don't like Crazy Horse...
Jazz Titan/Ruthie Cohen

KJ/HM/MH/DB

"I'm not in the Kiss Army. But I am in the reserves, and could be called up at any time." - Warmowski
four_oclocker_2

Postby eephour on Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:29 pm

It'll be good, I'm sure they'll stretch the songs out and make disastrous noise. But, it won't be the Horse. Wonder if we'll get some US dates in the Fall.

phpBB [media]

This came up on the shuffle this AM. Forgot how much I love this song.
eephour
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby holmes on Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:41 pm

four_oclocker_2 wrote:
holmes wrote:

Just ain't.

Huh, I'm starting to think that maybe you don't like Crazy Horse...

Oh man, I love(d) the horse but, as a band, they are boring and tired in a live setting now. They are pushing 70, most musicians have a lifespan, much as everyone hates to admit it. Neil is still amazing though. He is one of the greatest performers of all time.
holmes

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:37 pm

four_oclocker_2 wrote:
tallchris wrote:Billy Talbot had a minor stroke and is sitting out the upcoming NY&CH tour. CH will have a fill-in bassist and two back up singers:

See, I was telling you how important his backing vocals were to the Horse. TWO BACK UP SINGERS to fill the spot of ONE Billy Talbot. Looks like Billy is expected to make a full recovery though, but man, don't spook the Horse like that!

Yeah. Early Horse would come in with the harmonies like lesser bands stepped on distortion pedals.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

dvockins wrote:Gold hardware means you are number one.
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby numberthirty on Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:35 am

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/roger-waters-neil-young-israel/

Dear Neil Young,

There are rumors flying about that you are considering doing shows in Tel Aviv this year.

The picket lines have been crossed in this last year by one or two lightweights from our community but no one of your stature. Woody Guthrie would turn in his grave. Neil Young! You are one of my biggest heroes, you are one of a very short list, you, John Lennon, Woody Guthrie, Huddy Ledbetter, Harry Belafonte, Sam Cooke, Billie Holiday and, like some others, but not many, your songs have always been redolent of love and humanity and compassion for your fellow man and woman. I find it hard to believe that you would turn your back on the indigenous people of Palestine. That you would lend support to, and encourage and legitimize, with your presence, a colonial apartheid regime, largely settled from Europe, that seeks to confine the native people of the land, either in exile or in second class status in reservations and ghettos.

Please, brother, tell me it ain’t so.

As I recall, back in the day, along with the rest of us (Stevie van Zandt, Bruce, Led Zep etc etc etc etc) you would not “Play In Sun City” I am asking you to stand on the same moral ground now. The late, great, Nelson Mandela lives on in us, we cannot let him down. He was explicit in his position and I quote, ” We know too well that our freedom is incomplete without the freedom of the Palestinians”. It is time for “Rock Against Racism” to show some of it’s muscle by refusing to lend our names to the whitewashing of the illegal colonization of Palestinian land and the systematic oppression of its indigenous people. Unfortunately the opposition lobby has a lot of muscle too. They spend millions on their “Hasbara”(If like me you have no Hebrew)”Explaining” or to you and me “Propaganda”. The propaganda machine is well oiled and ruthless. We, on the other hand, have only our commitment to non-violent resistance to lie down in front of the IDF caterpillar tractors that would raze the native people from the land of Palestine. We stand with those people, and with all the brave people of Israel and Palestine, Jewish and Arab alike who oppose The Israeli Governments brutal policies. We stand with Rachel Corrie, the young American woman who gave her life under the caterpillar’s tracks. Please join me and countless other artists all over the world in solidarity with the oppressed and the disenfranchised. It is time to heed the peoples call. People like The Bedouin, the nomadic people of the Negev in the arid south of Israel, please research their plight, one village, Al-Araqib has been destroyed 63 times by IDF Bulldozers. If you are in doubt about any of this, I will go with you to Palestine, and Israel, if they’ll let me in, you will see what I have seen, and then let us figure out the right thing to do.

By the way I watched your Bridge School concert on YouTube last year, it was very moving, you were, of course magnificent. You had asked me to perform, and as I explained to your management, I would have gladly done so had I not already been committed to The Wall Tour in Europe and Stand Up For Heroes in New York. This year I will be pleased and proud to come and support you if you call.

With respect, and love.

Roger Waters.

154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Andrew. on Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:25 am

Thanks for posting that.

News of his Tel Aviv concert emerged while he was doing the Honour the Treaties tour across Canada in support of the Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation's (ACFN) legal challenge to the Alberta tarsands.

NY's closest friend in the ACFN is a friend of a friend, whom I know has made efforts to educate NY about the reality of the occupation, about the boycott, etc.

Seems NY is going ahead with the Tel Aviv show on July 17, possibly even while Israel pounds civilian infrastructure in Gaza. It's super crummy, and a major blow to NY's credibility as a principled person.

Here's a list of the 121 Palestinians killed by Israeli bombing since Tuesday. Includes 23 children under the age of 16.
Last edited by Andrew. on Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Tommy Alpha on Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:01 am

Ugggh. I'm on my way to see him as i write this. Fuck you playing at, Neil?
Tommy Alpha

Postby Andrew. on Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:38 am

I don't think a musician has ever disappointed me more on a matter of principle/ethics. His solo set here this winter in a 2,000 seat theatre was the most powerful concert I've ever attended. I couldn't stop crying during it.

And now he's not just playing Israel; he's censoring fans who speak out about it. I used to do some Palestine solidarity organizing with a guy in Vancouver who just had this video pulled from YouTube by Neil Young.

phpBB [media]

http://refrainplayingisrael.blogspot.ca ... utube.html
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Angus Jung on Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:47 am

This is Neil being Neil, unfortunately. Classic move. He has always been incredibly inconsistent politically, to the point where it just seems bizarre and arbitrary.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Gramsci on Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:05 pm

Angus Jung wrote:This is Neil being Neil, unfortunately. Classic move. He has always been incredibly inconsistent politically, to the point where it just seems bizarre and arbitrary.

Also not everyone cares about this issue. You can't really claim that a requirement of being "progressive" is that you unconditionally oppose Israel.

PS. I oppose Israeli policy on this issue...
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Andrew. on Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:11 pm

Open letter from the Union of Agricultural Work Committees Association.

Dear Neil Young,

We are Palestinian farmers and agricultural workers in the besieged Gaza Strip.

As you have stood many times for farmers and agricultural workers around the world, you would have doubtless found yourself meeting some of the most dignified, hard working and family oriented people. You will know that life cultivating the land is not easy. For Palestinians in the Gaza Strip, you would have to see to believe what the Israeli Occupation Forces, many for whom you plan to perform in July this year, have done to our farming livelihoods, families and communities.

[...]

With Willie Nelson and John Mellencamp you organized the first Farm Aid concert to raise awareness about the loss of family farms and to raise funds to keep farm families on their land. We share our solidarity with you and the entire world’s farming community. We also wish that you respond to the call of Palestinian farmers to not tolerate the Israeli occupation and siege that has suffocated our people and left our farming communities devastated.

http://mondoweiss.net/2014/04/solidarit ... tural.html

Israel has uprooted and destroyed 800,000 Palestinian olive trees as part of the occupation.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby eliya on Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:22 pm

It's funny that Roger Waters became wise after cashing in on his show in Israel in 2006.

This boycott talk is nonsense. Don't get me wrong, I oppose Israel and my disdain to that country grows every day with the crimes its government commits, but punishing Neil Young's fans isn't going to change anything. A "ceasefire" won't be achieved sooner, nor will it prevent from this cycle to repeat itself in a year or two. No one who voted for Netanyahu will vote for someone else in the next elections because Neil Young canceled his show, and actually most of NY's fans probably didn't vote Netanyahu, and oppose the occupation in one way or another. The ones who believe the occupation is just and right will not become aware to how wrong it is because Neil Young canceled.

Nothing of significance, other than solidarity from Neil Young, which the everyday Palestinians care nothing about, will happen. What will happen is that a bunch of Israelis will be bummed, and thus their quality of life will be reduced by a little bit. Not enough to make it as bad as the Palestinians', though. And is this what it's about? Making things even? It isn't. It's about taking a stand and supporting Jews and Palestinians that oppose the occupation and the current operation in Gaza, but what does it achieve other than pacifying Neil Young's and Roger Waters's conscience? Will it make any Palestinian families sleep soundly on the night of the 17th?

The right thing for Neil Young to do is to go to Israel, join Jewish and non-Jewish protestors in Tira and play for them. Join for protestors in Tel Aviv and venture into the occupied territories and perform for the people who live there. That will mean a lot more to them than canceling his show in Tel Aviv that most of them probably know nothing about. Then play his show in Tel Aviv for money. This has a chance of achieving something, or at the very least it will show that he actively cares about these people and the occupation.
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap