home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Nutball: Neil Young

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Nutball: Neil Young

Crap
22
6%
Not Crap
318
94%
 
Total votes : 340

Re: Nutball: Neil Young

Postby agiant on Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:23 am

Waging Heavy Peace is one of the most boring books I've ever read... I'm in Chapter 10, and I think that I'm going to give up.
blah
User avatar
agiant
mal evans
mal evans
 
Posts: 860
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:44 am
Location: Madrid

Re: Nutball: Neil Young

Postby matthew on Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:18 am

I heard he's dating Darryl Hannah. The end must be near....
...diesque nostros in tua pace disponas...
User avatar
matthew
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
 
Posts: 3503
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: Gens non sancta.

Re: Nutball: Neil Young

Postby Jodi S. on Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:31 pm

matthew wrote:I heard he's dating Darryl Hannah. The end must be near....


Yeah, because dating someone is going to radically change what makes Neil Young Neil Young.
User avatar
Jodi S.
Influential Poster
 
Posts: 21119
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2003 3:47 pm
Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Re: Nutball: Neil Young

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:41 pm

Human Highway to be re-released next year.

phpBB [media]
Jazz Titan/Ruthie Cohen


KJ/HM/MH/DB

"I'm not in the Kiss Army. But I am in the reserves, and could be called up at any time." - Warmowski
User avatar
four_oclocker_2
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
 
Posts: 3149
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:53 pm
Location: Avondale

Re: Nutball: Neil Young

Postby scott on Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:34 pm

matthew wrote:I heard he's dating Darryl Hannah. The end must be near....


$5 says he is overcome with disappointment and breaks up with her as soon as he realizes she isn't actually a mermaid.
May the wings of Liberty never lose a feather
first show - last show
User avatar
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus
 
Posts: 12144
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:35 pm
Location: 8d4+8

Re: Nutball: Neil Young

Postby Dr. Ew on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:27 am

scott wrote:
matthew wrote:I heard he's dating Darryl Hannah. The end must be near....


$5 says he is overcome with disappointment and breaks up with her as soon as he realizes she isn't actually a mermaid.

[hack joke]A Man Needs A Mermaid.[/hack joke]
User avatar
Dr. Ew
puggy pearson
puggy pearson
 
Posts: 537
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:24 pm

Re: Nutball: Neil Young

Postby finkystinger on Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:28 pm

The book was awful. I love him and I didn't make it very far. But it's illuminating. His songwriting started to suck coincidentally when he stopped smoking reefer. He can still play the shit out of his old stuff, thankfully.

Also: the Archives project. I think Briggs or someone needs to cut him out of the process. The work they've done has been great -- the sound on the remasters is great, and they've put together some awesome unheard material, especially on the big 10-disc box. But he's fiddling around releasing largely redundant archival live sets (which are still lovely) instead of working on the next big decade box. Which has the potential to be amazing.
User avatar
finkystinger
viceroy
viceroy
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:47 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Nutball: Neil Young

Postby eephour on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:35 pm

hench wrote:holy crap! tickets for this went on sale this morning and are somehow still available. i just bought one. now i have to figure out how in the hell to get from l.a. to neligh, nebraska.

Image



Dude, did you go?? How was it?
User avatar
eephour
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
 
Posts: 5139
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:08 pm
Location: Fleetwood

Re: Nutball: Neil Young

Postby m3kcomp on Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:33 am

finkystinger wrote:Also: the Archives project. I think Briggs or someone needs to cut him out of the process...


Be nice if Briggs could have had a say on any number of Neil's moves after the day Briggs died.

I couldn't make it through the book either, even though I had been really looking forward to it.
m3kcomp
evita
evita
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:24 pm

Re: Nutball: Neil Young

Postby finkystinger on Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:49 pm

m3kcomp wrote:
finkystinger wrote:Also: the Archives project. I think Briggs or someone needs to cut him out of the process...


Be nice if Briggs could have had a say on any number of Neil's moves after the day Briggs died.

Ah, heh. Right. I mean uh... the other guy. Ben Keith. JK. There has to be someone else?!
User avatar
finkystinger
viceroy
viceroy
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:47 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Nutball: Neil Young

Postby hench on Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:04 pm

eephour wrote:
hench wrote:holy crap! tickets for this went on sale this morning and are somehow still available. i just bought one. now i have to figure out how in the hell to get from l.a. to neligh, nebraska.



Dude, did you go?? How was it?


i sure did! it was pretty dang great... drove about 2.5 hours west of omaha, like some serious gravel road and no-cell-service-for-100-miles rural times. the "venue" was literally someone's farm, with the stage and seating on grass, parking in a harvested corn field. surrounded by corn yet to be harvested, tall man high.

got there around 9:20, gate was 10:15 or so. stood in line and listened to a sound check of "like a hurricane." frickin' ace way to start the morning. attendance was capped at 8,000 or so -- really big in the context of where we were (on the outskirts of a town with around 1,500 people), but nothing compared to the 20,000 people that i saw ny & crazy horse with at the hollywood bowl a couple years back. most of the people there were locals and/or folks that are directly affected by keystone xl. the folks we talked with in line were pretty flabbergasted that i'd flown in from l.a. and my parents had flown in from florida. i suppose that is a little out of the ordinary...

as for the show itself, we were roughly fifteen orderly, midwestern lawnchair rows from the stage, dead center with the soundboard. neil young came out while willie nelson was playing with his sons' band -- the whole gang did a cover of "this land is your land." willie and sons left, neil left, some speechifying occurred, etc.

neil came back out - solo acoustic guitar + harmonica, opens with "comes a time." puts down the guitar, goes to the pump organ for "mother earth." back to the solo acoustic for "heart of gold" and "pocahontas." i tell you what, that's been one of my favorite songs since i was about fourteen. to hear it like that, in a cornfield, under the blue sky... just frickin' phenomenal. devastating.

rest of the set was electric, with willie's sons' band serving as a passable crazy horse backup. "country home" -> "mansion on the hill" -> "homegrown" -> "down by the river" -> "who's gonna stand up?".... "down by the river" was for sure the standout of this section, and i wish i would've taped it instead of "country home," but i'm sure it's all on youtube anyhow. there was an upright piano on stage and i'd hoped for "after the gold rush," but no such luck. still, absolutely dynamite.

drove outta the cornfields around 7:15pm and got back to big, bustling omaha by around 10pm. never in my life did i ever expect to see neil young play "pocahontas" in a cornfield in rural nebraska with my 70-year old parents... like, such a strange, magical realism sort of thing, i'm not even sure it fits into top ten concert experiences, even though of course it is...
User avatar
hench
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4422
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:56 pm
Location: palisades hideout

Re: Nutball: Neil Young

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:49 pm

hench wrote:
i sure did! it was pretty dang great... drove about 2.5 hours west of omaha, like some serious gravel road and no-cell-service-for-100-miles rural times. the "venue" was literally someone's farm, with the stage and seating on grass, parking in a harvested corn field. surrounded by corn yet to be harvested, tall man high.

got there around 9:20, gate was 10:15 or so. stood in line and listened to a sound check of "like a hurricane." frickin' ace way to start the morning. attendance was capped at 8,000 or so -- really big in the context of where we were (on the outskirts of a town with around 1,500 people), but nothing compared to the 20,000 people that i saw ny & crazy horse with at the hollywood bowl a couple years back. most of the people there were locals and/or folks that are directly affected by keystone xl. the folks we talked with in line were pretty flabbergasted that i'd flown in from l.a. and my parents had flown in from florida. i suppose that is a little out of the ordinary...

as for the show itself, we were roughly fifteen orderly, midwestern lawnchair rows from the stage, dead center with the soundboard. neil young came out while willie nelson was playing with his sons' band -- the whole gang did a cover of "this land is your land." willie and sons left, neil left, some speechifying occurred, etc.

neil came back out - solo acoustic guitar + harmonica, opens with "comes a time." puts down the guitar, goes to the pump organ for "mother earth." back to the solo acoustic for "heart of gold" and "pocahontas." i tell you what, that's been one of my favorite songs since i was about fourteen. to hear it like that, in a cornfield, under the blue sky... just frickin' phenomenal. devastating.

rest of the set was electric, with willie's sons' band serving as a passable crazy horse backup. "country home" -> "mansion on the hill" -> "homegrown" -> "down by the river" -> "who's gonna stand up?".... "down by the river" was for sure the standout of this section, and i wish i would've taped it instead of "country home," but i'm sure it's all on youtube anyhow. there was an upright piano on stage and i'd hoped for "after the gold rush," but no such luck. still, absolutely dynamite.

drove outta the cornfields around 7:15pm and got back to big, bustling omaha by around 10pm. never in my life did i ever expect to see neil young play "pocahontas" in a cornfield in rural nebraska with my 70-year old parents... like, such a strange, magical realism sort of thing, i'm not even sure it fits into top ten concert experiences, even though of course it is...


Fuck yes, Zach!
User avatar
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6808
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:04 am
Location: Western Kentucky

Re: Nutball: Neil Young

Postby eephour on Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:59 pm

Soo cool, sounds like a blast! Glad you made it.
User avatar
eephour
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
 
Posts: 5139
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:08 pm
Location: Fleetwood

Re: Nutball: Neil Young

Postby Carl on Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:50 am

Rick the Bass Player died earlier this month. He played with Young a lot in the late 80s, and filled in on the Crazy Horse tour just this past summer.
dvockins wrote:That is the most pretentious bullshit I have heard in the last three years and I live in Brooklyn.
User avatar
Carl
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
 
Posts: 2477
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:05 pm
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Nutball: Neil Young

Postby Carl on Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:32 am

Human Highway is coming to the IFC in New York.
Making its debut at the Mill Valley Film Festival in 1982, with a premiere the next year in Los Angeles, it was never picked up by a studio, which had been the plan. It probably made some new if bewildered fans when it played the South by Southwest festival last month. It opens theatrically — for the first time — on April 17 in New York at the IFC Center, and will anchor a Neil Young film retrospective of movies by or about him. These include Bernard Shakey’s little-seen tour movie “Muddy Tracks”; Jonathan Demme’s “Trunk Show”; and “Solo Trans,” directed by Hal Ashby.
dvockins wrote:That is the most pretentious bullshit I have heard in the last three years and I live in Brooklyn.
User avatar
Carl
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
 
Posts: 2477
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:05 pm
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Nutball: Neil Young

Postby Big John on Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:59 am

To bad they don't have "Journey through the past". I guess it did get a pretty good theater showing though.
User avatar
Big John
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4384
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: Nutball: Neil Young

Postby Teacher's Pet on Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:33 pm

Big John wrote:To bad they don't have "Journey through the past". I guess it did get a pretty good theater showing though.


http://www.ifccenter.com/films/journey-through-the-past/

They're showing everything!
User avatar
Teacher's Pet
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran
 
Posts: 1593
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:15 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Nutball: Neil Young

Postby snarff on Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:44 pm

YES. MUDDY TRACK.
snarff
streetsweeper
streetsweeper
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 5:05 pm

Re: Nutball: Neil Young

Postby Jodi S. on Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:46 pm



It's playing on a night I can go, so I am happy.

I wish I could catch more of the films, but I'll just have to wait for The Netflix (fingers crossed).
User avatar
Jodi S.
Influential Poster
 
Posts: 21119
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2003 3:47 pm
Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Re: Nutball: Neil Young

Postby J_Temperance on Sat May 21, 2016 6:36 pm

Sooo impossibly NOT CRAP

Decade (along with Animals and Physical Graffiti) was basically responsible for getting me into classic rock back when I was 16 after my gringo history teacher lent me a discwasher that contained said albums along with other choice Neil Young works such as Zuma and After the Gold Rush. Hell of an introduction I might say.

I couldn't be arsed to find out if this was settled, but Neil's influence on indie/alt/postpunk/grunge/whatever you might wanna call it is obvious. He was the first to meld folk/country melodies with crunchy hard rock, pump out as much material as possible with complete disregard to editing and favor simple yet elegant songwriting, spontaneity and luscious tones over technical acumen, it's just that he did it on major label dime back in the 70's. Plus, how many iconic indie/alt bands are Crazy Horse descendents? The guy could (and sometimes still does) create records that, while much simpler, pack as much emotional impact, psychedelia and drama as X overproduced Pink Floyd/Radiohead record.

As much as I think Dylan is the superior lyricist, I'll always be firmly in camp Young mostly because of the latter's melodic knack. The man could fart out a catchy, affecting melody in his sleep. Plus, I actually like his voice and you know, the whole crunchy guitar clusterfuck that is collectively known as Crazy Horse albums.

Been listening to all the albums of his I still hadn't (mostly the ones released after Zuma and not in the 90's). So far I've greatly enjoyed Re-ac-tor (which sounds like all the fun, crunchy Big Star songs in their first 2 albums such as "Mod Lang" and "Don't Lie to Me") and American Stars n' Bars (not a big country fan but this is a prety great album).


J_Temperance
general studio assistant
general studio assistant
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:57 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], NewDarkAge and 9 guests