Nutball: Neil Young

Crap
7%
Not Crap
93%

Total votes : 337

Re: Nutball: Neil Young

Postby travis k on Sun May 22, 2016 12:43 am

I'd be comfortable to guess that I play - "Everybody knows this is nowhere " more than any of my records that I supposedly like more or find to be more important. It simply makes the day go well.
travis k
the white ho
the white ho

Postby zircona1 on Sun May 22, 2016 10:13 pm

I've found it difficult to get into Neil Young's studio work. I've listened to Tonight's the Night and Everybody Knows This is Nowhere and those didn't do anything for me. I liked a few songs on Freedom, I actually have that performance of RITFW from SNL on videotape somewhere, it rules.

I do like Rust Never Sleeps, and I have Mirrorball, though I rarely listen to it.

I saw him live (with his band) a few years back, mostly because, "well, if I get into his work later, I'm gonna regret not seeing him when I had the chance." The show was really good, he played for over 2 hours, and I understood every word that he sang (doesn't he have some kind of special sound system?).

Not crap.
- "Whatever happened to that album?"
- "I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall, and it like, shattered."
zircona1
walter mondale
walter mondale

Postby J_Temperance on Mon May 23, 2016 1:59 am

zircona1 wrote:I've found it difficult to get into Neil Young's studio work. I've listened to Tonight's the Night and Everybody Knows This is Nowhere and those didn't do anything for me. I liked a few songs on Freedom, I actually have that performance of RITFW from SNL on videotape somewhere, it rules.

I'm gonna do something which I almost never do, especially with artists that are favorites of mine (which Neil is, top 3 dinosaur rock acts for sure) but I'm going to recommend you give Decade a crack. It's a compilation of stuff from his first 10 years as a songwriter or so (his golden age, though he certainly has plenty of good stuff later on) and it pretty much made me a lifelong fan. I fyou like that then you can go on with his albums from the same period but Decade is just perfect, truancy, skylarking-escaping-from-work-and-into-gorgeous-outdoor-location-of-your-choice-drinking-at-10-am music for me
J_Temperance
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby rashiedgarrison on Wed May 25, 2016 6:20 am

Hench's review up there is great. Anyone else gone to see him on this tour? I'm at the O2 (horrible venue but hope to wheedle my way to the front) in June.
Cold check it
rashiedgarrison
future member of don caballero
future member of don caballero

Postby Mama Clortho on Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:21 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on the live album he released recently with the Bluenotes? Only just learnt of it. Pretty curious.
Mama Clortho
the white ho
the white ho

Postby Heaven is in your beard on Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:27 am

Not Crap for the music, obviously. He's released a few clunkers, but so has everyone else who maintains or did maintain a career in music for as long as he has (Dylan, Reed, Bowie etc.)

Waffle factor of 1 for the fact that several of his CDs won't copy onto any media player using an operating system more recent than Windows Vista (along with several other Warner Music Group releases), thus forcing me to access illegal filesharing sites as I'm not willing to pay twice for a legal download of a disc I've already bought. And I'm sure as hell not buying a Pono player.
The panda made me do it.
Heaven is in your beard
pom pom
pom pom

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:42 pm

They still sell Pono players?
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby mazacultura on Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:05 pm

Anthony Flack wrote:They still sell Pono players?

http://www.ponosucks.com/home.html

...Apparently not.
mazacultura
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Andrew. on Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:32 pm

Neil was also gonzo for biofuel. He's a hippie. Great heart, but not at the leading edge of critical thinking about technology.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby mazacultura on Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:35 am

Plus that electric car conversion that burned up a ton of his archives. Like you say, heart's in the right place.

http://www.treehugger.com/cars/neil-you ... -fire.html
mazacultura
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Anthony Flack on Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:38 am

That's a perfectly reasonable idea and it sounds like the people doing the work simply made a shoddy job of it. If he wants an electric '59 Lincoln then good for him. There probably is a serviceable niche market for those kinds of conversions if they can get it right.

Whereas Pono was a parade around town in the clown car, with a bunch of his fans along for the ride. I don't begrudge him for it though, and by the sound of it Mr TimeCube-Website doesn't begrudge him for it either. He just got taken in by some fast talkin' Kickstarter bullshit, as so many people did during that wave of excitement for all things crowdfunded.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Heaven is in your beard on Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:54 am

mazacultura wrote:
Anthony Flack wrote:They still sell Pono players?

http://www.ponosucks.com/home.html

...Apparently not.

Oh dear. I did read that Pono sales had fallen far short of the company's hopes, and in any case I always thought the product had an odour of snake oil about it. Guess this article clarifies why.

Still, as it points out, Amazon are still selling them, albeit at a knockdown price.
Last edited by Heaven is in your beard on Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
The panda made me do it.
Heaven is in your beard
pom pom
pom pom

Postby Heaven is in your beard on Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:55 am

Triple post due to slow PC. Oops. Deleted
Last edited by Heaven is in your beard on Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
The panda made me do it.
Heaven is in your beard
pom pom
pom pom

Postby Heaven is in your beard on Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:55 am

Ditto the above.
The panda made me do it.
Heaven is in your beard
pom pom
pom pom

Postby SkronkFronkerdale on Wed May 24, 2017 10:46 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9XlAMu_cUU

An interesting documentary someone might enjoy. The song of the same name is my favorite Neil song of the moment. Play it over and over and never get tired of it. Finally found a copy of Time Fades Away on vinyl, which completes the ditch trilogy, my fav period of his illustrious career. Hooray for me whoopee
SkronkFronkerdale
mister rogers
mister rogers

Postby curry pervert on Thu May 25, 2017 7:21 pm

Not much of his music has ever appealed to me, but I did buy Waging Heavy Peace and found it quite a good read. Likeable character.
curry pervert
lt. sharon 'boomer' valerii
lt. sharon 'boomer' valerii

Postby P.J. Craven on Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:07 am

Waging Heavy Peace. Code for shit? "First listen to Hitchhiker." Code for shit?

Anyway, Hitchhiker is definitely worthwhile. I wonder how many more full records Neil has in the vault. I think I remember reading in Shakey that there's probably plenty.

Stream Hitchhiker here
ty-lot wrote:Sick bro
P.J. Craven
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby SkronkFronkerdale on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:44 pm

Super pumped about Hitchhiker. Looking forward to the day Homegrown is released and whatever else Neil hasn't yet released from the vaults. Neil is probably the purest and most natural songwriter humanly possible. Songs poured out of him almost without trying in his heyday, unaffected and unforced, propelled by the strength of his muse. Just like the rest of us take shits. No surprise really he has so much unreleased material.
SkronkFronkerdale
mister rogers
mister rogers

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:26 pm

He just streamed Hitchhiker on some public radio station from Telluride, Colorado. Original versions of some old songs that haven't been released, as well as better quality versions of some of the stuff found on Chrome Dreams.

I am unabashedly a Neil Young + Crazy Horse fan, but this little detour he took in the 70's ranks among some of his very best work. So fuckin' pure.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

dvockins wrote:Gold hardware means you are number one.
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Anthony Flack on Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:33 am

SkronkFronkerdale wrote:Just like the rest of us take shits. No surprise really he has so much unreleased material.

You make it sound like he needs a dose of prune juice to clear out his unreleased material.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap