Nutball: Neil Young

Crap
6%
Not Crap
94%

Total votes : 340

Re: Nutball: Neil Young

Postby VaticanShotglass on Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:54 pm

After Zuma the timeline gets fuzzy in my head. The ride is going to get wild pretty soon.
VaticanShotglass
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Ike on Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:19 pm

Gonna be getting into the doldrums of Hawks and Doves through, like, Life or whatever. A weird decade for him!
Ike
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby DregsInTheCrowd on Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:41 am

Ike wrote:Gonna be getting into the doldrums of Hawks and Doves through, like, Life or whatever. A weird decade for him!

Don't skip on A Treasure, the Archives live album of The International Harvesters tour. It makes the whole Old Ways period make a lot more sense, and it's a great listen. Although, I think Old Ways is mostly kinda good. I really like Hawks & Doves, Re-Ac-Tor, and Trans in that period too. I think his Eighties started off weird and wobbly, but interesting, and mostly good.
My name is Mike, and I play music in Stripper Deville.
DregsInTheCrowd
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby Ike on Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:20 am

Oh yeah, nothing is gonna get skipped (well, CSNY and the Stills-Young band--not gonna include those). But the live ones are on the list, too. I'll listen to them in the order they're released.

I like that International Harvesters one a lot. And agree, the Old Ways songs had more life there, for sure.
Ike

Postby tmidgett on Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:28 am

Neil is like Lou (or Van) in that even the bad records are good in their way.

Once you get over whatever idea you have about what else he shoulda/coulda been doing at that given time.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Ike on Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:51 am

tmidgett wrote:Neil is like Lou (or Van) in that even the bad records are good in their way.

Once you get over whatever idea you have about what else he shoulda/coulda been doing at that given time.

Agree all the way. Even ones that don't fully land (Re-ac-Tor, Landing on Water) have elements I appreiciate and love.

Tim, thought of you the other day when trying to explain his playing to a friend. Pretty sure you once told me he basically invented a new language for guitar. Something that didn't quite exist before him. And he did it on acoustic as well as with Old Black.

Touched duded in many ways.
Ike

Postby tmidgett on Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:07 pm

Ike wrote:
tmidgett wrote:Neil is like Lou (or Van) in that even the bad records are good in their way.

Agree all the way. Even ones that don't fully land (Re-ac-Tor, Landing on Water) have elements I appreiciate and love.

Tim, thought of you the other day when trying to explain his playing to a friend. Pretty sure you once told me he basically invented a new language for guitar. Something that didn't quite exist before him. And he did it on acoustic as well as with Old Black.

Touched duded in many ways.

I maybe said that, yes. It's true, regardless. No one played like him before he did it. I guess the closest would be, I dunno, some of Jimmy Reed's rhythm playing? But who played lead like that? Tons of people (try to) do it now. You almost can't help it once you get into his space.

All that, including the bad records being good, applies to Joni Mitchell as well. Only her playing thing is less primal, more idiosyncratic, harder to ape.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby m3kcomp on Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:21 pm

Ike wrote:Oh yeah, nothing is gonna get skipped (well, CSNY and the Stills-Young band--not gonna include those).

I'd argue you can't really skip that stuff. Not arguing if it's good or not but it's surely all part of the Neil Story.

(Skip Stills-Young and you miss "Long May You Run." Skip CSNY and you miss "Ohio," for instance.)

I played the fuck out of Hawks and Doves for a year or so in my twenties.
m3kcomp
howard shore
howard shore

Postby Ike on Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:15 pm

You write reviews of all that CSNY stuff for me! I've listened to it all a bunch. I think I'll get a pretty clear picture just sticking to the actual albums.
Ike

Postby VaticanShotglass on Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:13 pm

Landing On Water is the only album I've owned by him and then resold. I think it was when I was leaving MI and had to hit a quota of albums I didn't listen to anymore. I still have it on my computer though. There are a few tracks I like. It sounds like the album critics of Trans should be bashing.
VaticanShotglass

Postby DregsInTheCrowd on Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:47 pm

My name is Mike, and I play music in Stripper Deville.
DregsInTheCrowd
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby askii on Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:15 pm

DregsInTheCrowd wrote:Yeah so Homegrown is coming out.

Awesome! Guess we'll find out at last whether it lives up to Jimmy McDonough's hype.

I also just heard about Neil quitting FB:

Exclaim wrote:Young posted a new statement on the Neil Young Archives site with the decidedly Neil Young-esque title "FACEBOOK IS TOAST AT NYA." Here's the full post:

Facebook is facing criticism for sponsoring the annual gala of the Federalist Society, the powerful right wing organization behind the nomination of the conservative supreme court justice Brett Kavanaugh.

This turn of events, in addition to the false information regularly supplied to the public on Facebook, with its knowledge, has caused us to re-evaluate and change our use policy.

I don't feel that a social site should be making obvious commitments to one side of politics or the other. It further confuses readers regarding truthfulness in coverage and message.

NYA, no longer interested in further links with FACEBOOK, will be discontinuing use.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause to you.

Thanks,
NY

:smt023
askii
bocce bowler
bocce bowler

Postby m3kcomp on Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:11 pm

It came through in the Mountaintop movie and it comes through in that clip of them mastering Homegrown...these fuckers have a lot of fun doing this shit.

Super excited to hear this thing...Homegrown! Crazy...
m3kcomp
howard shore
howard shore

Postby Me Again on Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:26 am

NY leaving FB makes perfect sense. Judging by his posts on there it seems he's been wanting to do so for some time. Good for him.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Ike on Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:02 pm

Getting into the doldrums now. Hawks and Doves through, uh, like....Freedom? Let's just say Freedome.

Slogfest. Some truly dumb lyrics in this batch.

AND YET some effin' rad shit, too.
Ike

Postby m3kcomp on Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:27 pm

You're going to yearn for those albums when you have to trudge through Are You Passionate through Le Noise.

Not too many highlights there, bud.
m3kcomp
howard shore
howard shore

Postby askii on Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:49 pm

Ike wrote:Getting into the doldrums now. Hawks and Doves through, uh, like....Freedom? Let's just say Freedome.

Slogfest. Some truly dumb lyrics in this batch.

AND YET some effin' rad shit, too.

El Dorado is in there! That'll jack the average way up.
askii
bocce bowler
bocce bowler

Postby Angus Jung on Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:11 pm

m3kcomp wrote:Are You Passionate

That's the album with "Let's Roll," Neil's incredibly cringey 9/11 song, if I'm not mistaken. JFC.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby tmidgett on Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:51 pm

Yer not saying you don't like Freedom, are ya?

I think Freedom is an incredible record.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby m3kcomp on Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:50 am

I was just listening to Reactor and always am thrilled by how great some of the songs are on it..."Shots" in particular.
m3kcomp
howard shore
howard shore

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap