Nutball: Neil Young

Crap
6%
Not Crap
94%

Total votes : 340

Re: Nutball: Neil Young

Postby Ike on Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:01 am

tmidgett wrote:Yer not saying you don't like Freedom, are ya?

I think Freedom is an incredible record.

Oh I LOVE Freedom! One of my favorites, by far. It feels like a breath of fresh air next to a few of those albums there in the 80's.

Listened to Hawks and Doves last night. I thoroughly enjoyed side one, but that's the hodge-podge side (old recording, some that were supposed to be on Homegrown).

Side two maybe doesn't land as well for me, but it wasn't a bummer to listen to at all. He was running low on gas at that point, if I'm remembering right.
Ike
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby DregsInTheCrowd on Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:55 am

Ike wrote:
tmidgett wrote:Yer not saying you don't like Freedom, are ya?

I think Freedom is an incredible record.

Oh I LOVE Freedom! One of my favorites, by far. It feels like a breath of fresh air next to a few of those albums there in the 80's.

Listened to Hawks and Doves last night. I thoroughly enjoyed side one, but that's the hodge-podge side (old recording, some that were supposed to be on Homegrown).

Side two maybe doesn't land as well for me, but it wasn't a bummer to listen to at all. He was running low on gas at that point, if I'm remembering right.

I quite like a couple of the songs/riffs on side two. "Union Man" is lots of goofy fun. I think the title track is a legit great song.

I'm going through a similar thing to you right now. I hadn't been on a long-term Neil kick in quite a few years. But he's go-to road trip listening for me, and in August I took a solo road trip to Yellowstone, and did a lot of listening to the 70s albums while driving US-212 through Montana. That sort of kickstarted a Neil k-hole that hasn't let up. First I thought "hey, I'm getting myself ready for Colorado is all." But it has turned into an exhaustive review of his whole career, and I'm not tired of it yet.

The last several Archives releases have been stellar, and I just bought a stack of them. He's on the mid-70s now, and I'd been sleeping on these releases until the past couple weeks. Songs For Judy (solo 1976, various cities, and boy is he ON), Tuscaloosa (Time Fades Away era), Roxy: Tonight's The Night Live (recorded shortly after the album), and Hitchhiker are all stunningly good. I am quivering with anticipation for Homegrown.

Freedom is outstanding, one of his maybe ten best. Maybe slightly long, if I HAD to file one complaint. It's an hour-long single-LP.
My name is Mike, and I play music in Stripper Deville.
DregsInTheCrowd
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby tmidgett on Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:05 pm

DregsInTheCrowd wrote:The last several Archives releases have been stellar, and I just bought a stack of them. He's on the mid-70s now, and I'd been sleeping on these releases until the past couple weeks. Songs For Judy (solo 1976, various cities, and boy is he ON), Tuscaloosa (Time Fades Away era), Roxy: Tonight's The Night Live (recorded shortly after the album), and Hitchhiker are all stunningly good.

These are all great, seconded.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Ike on Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:14 am

All three of those live albums are knockout great. I listened to that all summer.

The Tuscaloosa one and the Roxy one were recorded like 4 or 5 months apart, I think.

Sounds like entirely different REALITIES on each of them.
Ike

Postby VaticanShotglass on Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:16 pm

Ike, I bet you could do some really wicked alternate reality album arrangements for a lot of this material from this era. There's so much great stuff that doesn't always elegantly slotted away in the existing albums. Take all the bootleg tracks from the era and all that stuff that came out in bits and pieces post-Zuma and try to make something history didn't. Better or worse it might be a cool project for a music nerd forum.
VaticanShotglass
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Ike on Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:50 pm

VaticanShotglass wrote:Ike, I bet you could do some really wicked alternate reality album arrangements for a lot of this material from this era. There's so much great stuff that doesn't always elegantly slotted away in the existing albums. Take all the bootleg tracks from the era and all that stuff that came out in bits and pieces post-Zuma and try to make something history didn't. Better or worse it might be a cool project for a music nerd forum.

OH BUDDY. Been kinda obsessed with my own Man in the High Castle version of NY's history, at least 1975-1978 or so.

Look at the recording dates. He could have left "Stupid Girl" off of Zuma and included "Winterlong" AND "Like A Hurricane", they were all written around that time.

Imagine Zuma with THOSE heavy hitters.

It'd be the best album ever made.
Ike

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:27 pm

You can’t leave Stupid Girl off of Zuma. That would be nuts
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

dvockins wrote:Gold hardware means you are number one.
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Angus Jung on Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:30 pm

Leave "Through My Sails" off. Not Pardon My Heart though, that stays.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby NewDarkAge on Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:06 pm

I’m the guy who actually likes ‘Stupid Girl’.
bishopdante wrote:BTW was not suggesting that my particular area of interest is buttocks, but it is normal for people of all sexes and sexual persuasions to be into butts, is not weird.

Sighthound
NewDarkAge
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Pasta on Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:29 pm

NewDarkAge wrote:I’m the guy who actually likes ‘Stupid Girl’.

Your not alone, my friend. I know a few ladies that do as well.
RSMurphy wrote:Everything I enjoy about metal: heavy, cool riffs, hooks, expressive vocals.
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer

Postby Ike on Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:49 pm

Man, Stupid Girl sucks so bad. Not Man Needs a Maid bad, but not good.

Hippies and misogyny! Go together like a piss and a fart!

I'm telling you, it works out. It you just remove That song, put on the other two, that album is under 50 minutes long and is perfect.
Ike

Postby m3kcomp on Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:12 pm

Ike wrote:Man, Stupid Girl sucks so bad...
I'm telling you, it works out. It you just remove That song, put on the other two, that album is under 50 minutes long and is perfect.

It does not work out.

Zuma only suffers (SLIGHTLY) because Neil put out so many amazing records in the early 70s. It is a perfect record on it's own. With Stupid Girl.

I have always loved Neil's oddball songs. Cripple Creek Ferry is probably in my top 5 of ALL his tunes. Stupid Girl, Old King, Cripple Creek Ferry, etc. Those songs define him just as much as the heavy hitters.
m3kcomp
howard shore
howard shore

Postby eliya on Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:21 am

Stupid Girl is a good song with terrible lyrics. I hate the boomer riff from Drive Back, but the rest of the song is good. I guess what I'm saying is I'd rather get rid of Drive Back before Stupid Girl. But man, those lyrics are so bad.

Also, these two songs can't hold a candle to Looking for a Love and Barstool Blues.
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby VaticanShotglass on Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:44 am

This ultra-edition of Zuma is getting burned to disk for the car. I super agree about Winterlong. Bold move throwing Hurricane on there. So, so much guitar on one album. Can it take it? Track order?

So at least Stupid Girl sound okay. Stupid words, sounds okay. Maid has weapon grade dum dum words and also sounds corny. Cripple Creek Ferry is alright by me.

I will confess that it takes me many listens before I even pay attention to lyrics. These days that is less true for acts like Dylan or NY or something where the words are very forward in the nature of the song. I really don't know what most songs are about. It's a hoot to read about it a year later.

Barstool Blues for life!
VaticanShotglass

Postby Ike on Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:03 am

Took many years, but here we are.

Trans is way better than I'd initially given it credit for.
Ike

Postby DregsInTheCrowd on Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:43 pm

Ike wrote:Took many years, but here we are.

Trans is way better than I'd initially given it credit for.

Welcome to the fold, my friend.

Trans is a good album. It benefits from 35 years of hearing way weirder decisions on his records. I think it gets written off as a slapdash experiment, but it’s more thoughtful than that. He took these cold, sterile Kraftwerk sounds and made them warm and intimate. Landing on Water is kind of its sister album, and it doesn’t work as well - maybe it was the choice of collaborators. I only recently learned that Crazy Horse, Ben Keith, and Nils Lofgren are all over Trans.

Robert Christgau wrote:... I figured out that robots also sound more lifelike if they're singing those grade-A elegiac folk melodies Young makes up when he's in the mood, because this is as tuneful as Comes a Time. Also realized that although Young's sci-fi may be simple, it's not silly--or maybe I realized that although it may be silly it's also charming.
My name is Mike, and I play music in Stripper Deville.
DregsInTheCrowd
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby Ike on Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:44 pm

It has been a blast blazing through these again 2 or 3 x a piece after MANY years of not listening to them (the Geffen albums I mean; also lax on some of the later period ones as well, like Living with War and Peace Trail or the ones he made with Willie Nelson's kids).

The 20 or so albums of his that are in my DNA are hardwired. Just there.

The other ones have been curveballs at times.
Ike

Postby Tommy on Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:47 pm

Ike wrote:Man, Stupid Girl sucks so bad. Not Man Needs a Maid bad, but not good.

Hippies and misogyny! Go together like a piss and a fart!

A Man Needs a Maid is absolutely misogynistic. But is Stupid Girl? I mean it sounds like he's railing against either a type or a specific woman. I'm not hearing contempt for women in that one. Though maybe that's enough anyway...
Tommy
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby m3kcomp on Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:38 pm

Although I've probably heard it as much as any NY album, aside from Goldrush, I'm listening to Zuma right now just to confirm: taking Stupid Girl off the album would be a stupid thing indeed.

Old Black smokes on that song...
m3kcomp
howard shore
howard shore

Postby VaticanShotglass on Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:50 pm

Trans has great songs. I love it. It was so hard to get for so long, it got built up in my head as some radical and bad thing. I got a reissue copy and it's just a lovely album. Catchy too. Landing on Water was the actual let down (and even then, not all bad). Also, I like how it sounds. I don't find it too gimmicky at all. It feels sincere too.

I imagine it would have been far more of a turd in the punch bowl back in the day. By the time I got my hands on it we weren't far from having vocoders on our cell phones. But hey, the man had Jawas. Vocoders aren't far beyond Jawas.
VaticanShotglass

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap