Nutball: Neil Young

Crap
6%
Not Crap
94%

Total votes : 340

Re: Nutball: Neil Young

Postby tmidgett on Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:36 pm

He sees native life on North America, before European settlers, as being relatively pure in practice and intent, and he has written quite a bit about the steamroller of death that obliterated that way of life.

I guess there's stuff to say about that, but he's an artist and no dummy regardless. It's pretty far from being cultural appropriation. It's a tribute, right down to the name of the group of course, and a constant reminder of where the life we see around us on this continent came from, for better or worse. Of the complication wrought by everything that came along with most of our ancestors.

Pocahontas is incredible top to bottom. A+. Staggering lyric. Rust Never Sleeps was the first NY I ever heard, and I remember hearing that song for the very first time. Wondering how someone could even come up with it. How unhurried and familiar and plain but deep and timeless it was. And that's two cuts after My My Hey Hey and Thrasher.

Rust really is still my favorite one. There are things I like better about other records, but it's the crux.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby travelin_pete on Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:12 pm

Man, I've got a brand new love for Mideast Vacation after that review.

Rambo in the Disco!
travelin_pete
courtesan
courtesan

Postby tmidgett on Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:52 pm

travelin_pete wrote:Man, I've got a brand new love for Mideast Vacation after that review.

Rambo in the Disco!

Yeah, that was a great writeup.

It's a good song, in there. Revisited it as well!

The rest of the album still sounds pretty bad!

It's bad like Growing Up in Public or Mistrial, though. There's that element of fascination in hearing a master screwing around with his work method, even if the results are sometimes pointless or even cringeworthy.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Ike on Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:20 pm

Andrew. wrote:
VaticanShotglass wrote:I
Neil really does have some odd Native American thing going on. It is really of the time and naive. Very dated.

He's always had some romantic-primitivism mixed in with his anti-colonial sentiments, for sure. The role of Marlon Brandon in "Pocahontas" really steps that song up lyrically and adds layers though I think.

But agreed it's a generational/of-its-time thing that also runs through his iconography and branding (the giant wooden "cigar-store Indians" on stage, etc).

Like, no one in CH is Native American or Indigenous and neither is NY.

It's easier to give a pass to given NY's outspoken political support for Indigenous struggles including an entire "Honour the Treaties" tour in 2014 that raised money for the Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation's legal challenges to oil sands mega-projects on their territories in Alberta. When he recently played Winnipeg w Crazy Horse he had a local Indigenous singer-songwriter as the opener. That kind of stuff.

Ralphie was born in Puerto Rico, but that's obv not the point here, I know.

As you pointed out, he's consistent through the years.

This Note's for You is kinda kicking my ass today! Feeling it. It's a weird blueshammer exercise.

El Dorado is next. THEN WE PARTY.
Ike
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby tmidgett on Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:20 pm

Eldorado was as exciting a record as I could have heard at the time.

Neil hadn't made a great record since I'd started listening. It was a real jolt.

I think the guitar on Don't Cry in particular was a big influence on Andy Cohen. "Oh, a guy can do that, no problem. Neat."

A bunch of moves that he hadn't done before. The particular mix of acoustic and electric on Eldorado. The long groove on the verse of Don't Cry. The chords in Cocaine Eyes, and on the 2nd part of Heavy Love--almost Rick Nielsen-like. It wasn't even a return to form--it was a new form, with some of the same sound.

Rick Rosas was great.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby mattw on Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:42 pm

VaticanShotglass wrote:
Football changed that school & town for the worse in 2008. Where abouts do you live in NC. Currently I'm out East near Greenville.

Wow, what a coincidence. Me too...Will PM/DM you!
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Andrew. on Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:13 pm

tmidgett wrote:Pocahontas is incredible top to bottom. A+. Staggering lyric. Rust Never Sleeps was the first NY I ever heard, and I remember hearing that song for the very first time. Wondering how someone could even come up with it. How unhurried and familiar and plain but deep and timeless it was. And that's two cuts after My My Hey Hey and Thrasher.

Rust really is still my favorite one. There are things I like better about other records, but it's the crux.

Rust was also the first NY album I got into as a young teenager and I was pretty much obsessed with it. To the point where it was the first CD I ever bought, even though I already had it on cassette. I was super into NY in junior high. Got a biography on him from the school library and bought a book of the guitar tab for the album Freedom.

When I saw him on the "Honour the Treaties" tour a few years ago, there were seats set aside for kids to be bused-in from reserves, and there was a big round dance w drummers outside before the show. I cried through like the whole concert. Thankfully it was very dark in the hall. Two of my friends met backstage on that tour and they're now married and raising kids together (she a white environmentalist and him a Cree photographer).
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby tmidgett on Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:08 pm

Andrew. wrote:I cried through like the whole concert.

I wept openly last time I saw Crazy Horse.

The second Powderfinger started, tears. Then many more times during the show.

Hahaha!

Turns out it happens a lot to a lot of people, I've since found out!

Also picked up a noticeable contact high.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby m3kcomp on Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:24 am

I've long felt like seeing Crazy Horse was similar to religious experiences...I can't think of another band that elicits feelings like they have every time I've seen them.

There was always something so powerful seeing those guys playing on a huge stage but huddled together in a space the size of a small bathroom for a lot of the show.
m3kcomp
paul schaffer
paul schaffer

Postby Me Again on Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:10 am

Still a source of amusement that every time I access this thread via phone I'm treated to FM geiginni's takedown at the top of Page 1. I guess if you're gonna deflower a sacred cow you might as well do it on the ground floor, huh?

Had never bothered with Everybody's Rockin' before, for perhaps obvious reasons, but I found the single "Wonderin'" pretty good when testing a couple of songs out the other night. He looks kinda stoned in the video though. Not a bad lark.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
cool kid
cool kid

Postby travelin_pete on Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:47 am

On a whim, I flew to Fresno in '18 for the small theater shows after snagging second row tickets from NYA. It was my first time seeing them alone after mom passed. I wept hard for most of Big Time.

Haven't seen him since, that gig was perfect.

On a lighter note, looks like they're gonna release a god damned film of the 1990 Catalyst shows from Santa Cruz, the Weld warm up shows where they debuted fucking Dangerbird in early January!
travelin_pete
courtesan
courtesan

Postby TomWanderer on Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:46 am

Me Again wrote:Had never bothered with Everybody's Rockin' before, for perhaps obvious reasons, but I found the single "Wonderin'" pretty good when testing a couple of songs out the other night. He looks kinda stoned in the video though. Not a bad lark.

Wonderin' is an excellent song from the early days of Crazy Horse. Great version of it on the Live at the Fillmore East 1970 that came out officially a while back.
My absolute favorite of the live/archive releases. I've got the OG bootleg somewhere that has the early and late shows and there's another beautiful little country song 'It Might Have Been' that they do a great version of.

I just wish they would release his show at the Bottom Line from 1974. I love Crazy Horse, but this is probably my favorite NY recording ever. Just so god damn incredible. If you've never heard it, I couldn't recommend it any more highly. It'll give ya goosebumps;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfb1P1pN2II
TomWanderer
bobby fischer
bobby fischer

Postby mattw on Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:10 am

All this Neil Young jizzerjabberwocky has got me returning to some of the lesser-loved NY albums from the oughts. For instance, Are You Passionate? has "Goin' Home," which is another sloppy Horse fest. Like that song. Greendale was mostly a slog, but it does have "Falling From Above" (still one of my favorites of his) and "Bandit"- which had him tuning down to C. It has a real loose feel to it. Prairie Wind is the album he made after almost dying- "Falling Off the Face of the Earth" is a standout from that; really vulnerable and sings in an even more broken/higher register than usual. Pretty unfamiliar with the stuff after (mid-2000s on); nothing sticks out except the albums where he reunited with CH. Of the later era, I still love the mid-90s punch of Sleeps With Angels, Mirror Ball, and the Dead Man soundtrack. Broken Arrow. I paid decent coin for Mirror Ball on vinyl, but it was worth it!
mattw

Postby travelin_pete on Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:57 am

travelin_pete
courtesan
courtesan

Postby tmidgett on Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:15 pm

travelin_pete wrote:Image

I'm so glad he's getting into this shit while he's still here to oversee it. Not to be morbid, but taking control of your legacy is a significant thing to do. It would be understandable if he either didn't realize that or didn't want to spend his time on it.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby askii on Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:31 pm

travelin_pete wrote:Image

In case the image isn't showing up for anyone else, that's really great. Devastatingly forthright. I mean, Dylan still insists to this day that Blood On the Tracks had nothing in particular to do with his divorce. Which of course is his right, but he must know he's not fooling anyone.

TomWanderer wrote:I just wish they would release his show at the Bottom Line from 1974. I love Crazy Horse, but this is probably my favorite NY recording ever. Just so god damn incredible. If you've never heard it, I couldn't recommend it any more highly. It'll give ya goosebumps;

So much this. That show captures the shattered state of mind he's describing in that Homegrown blurb. 'Pushed It Over the End', his take on 'Greensleeves', all the On the Beach stuff...it's brutal, even though he's stoned and in good humor, telling stories about honey slides and whatnot.

tmidgett wrote:I'm so glad he's getting into this shit while he's still here to oversee it. Not to be morbid, but taking control of your legacy is a significant thing to do. It would be understandable if he either didn't realize that or didn't want to spend his time on it.

Yeah, or (Neil being Neil) if he was too much of a perfectionist and control freak (not that there's necessarily anything wrong with either) to ever let the results out into the world. For a while there I was worried we'd never get to the Tonight's the Night / On the Beach era, but it seems like the dam has finally broken. There's a recent letter at NYA where he explicitly acknowledges the "race against time".

In other news, I just saw that the aptly named "NYA Times-Contrarian" had republished Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor's NYT op-ed on the multiracial working class and Bernie's path to victory.
askii
head intern
head intern

Postby DregsInTheCrowd on Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:37 pm

Also, he's letting Archives subscribers vote on what the next Archives releases should be. Homegrown still appears to be the next planned LP, but also being prepared for release are:

Neil Young Archives wrote:STRATFORD SHAKESPEARE THEATER, solo film, and LP, 1971

GREENDALE LIVE with CRAZY HORSE, stage production, film and LP, 2003

GREENDALE AT VICKAR STREET, solo film and LP, 2003

TOAST, Crazy Horse LP (limited film), 2001

MOUNTAINTOP, Crazy Horse film, 2019

CATALYST, Crazy Horse film, and LP, 1991

ALCHEMY, Crazy Horse film, and LP, 2012/2013

EARLY DAZE, Crazy Horse 1960s LP

HARVEST TIME, Stray Gators film and LP, 1971

MIRROR BALL LIVE DUBLIN, with friends from Pearl Jam, film and LP

DESERT TRIP, Promise of the Real film

MONSANTO YEARS, Promise of the Real film, doc, and music, 2014

TRUNK SHOW, The Continentals film, and LP, 2009

LINCVOLT CHRONICLES 1-5, documentary series

TOWER THEATER PHILADELPHIA, 2018 solo film, and LP

POLAR VORTEX, solo film, and LP, 2019

HOMEGROWN, original studio LP, 1975

CHROME DREAMS, original studio LP, 1977

BERLIN, Trans Band film, and LP, 1982

OCEANSIDE COUNTRYSIDE, original studio LP 1976-1977

BOARDING HOUSE, solo film, and LP, 1976

ISLAND IN THE SUN, 1982 LP

TRANS 2020, animated Trans film

BOTTOM LINE, solo 1974 LP

OVER THE RAINBOW, Live Tonight’s The Night LP

ODEON BUDAKON, London/Tokyo, Crazy Horse/solo film and LP, 1976

DUCKS, Live in Santa Cruz LP, 1977

HOMEFIRES, various solo and band, LP, 1974

FILLMORE EAST, CSNY live/band/solo, film and LP, 1971

Shit, I've never even heard of Homefires. I know the title track, but I always assumed it was part of the Homegrown sessions.
My name is Mike, and I play music in Stripper Deville.
DregsInTheCrowd
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:59 pm

ALCHEMY
Jazz Titan/Ruthie Cohen

KJ/HM/MH/DB

"I'm not in the Kiss Army. But I am in the reserves, and could be called up at any time." - Warmowski
four_oclocker_2
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Superking on Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:42 am

As noted, with FM Ike I'm going chronologically through the whole catalog.

It's baffling that it has taken me this long to do it - and when I say "this long", I mean the decade or so since going deep on the catalog didn't mean buying the Landing On Water CD for $12, or whatever.

Every record so far has at least something to reveal - even the worst of it has informed the Whole Thing.

I can't believe how much I love this weirdo dude's music.

Have seen him twice - both times just him, relatively recently.

So great. A kind of involuntary crying both times, at points. The sound was impeccable.

Re: Landing On Water - many of those songs are great - and while it's weird to hear the full-on 1986 production happening, I don't think that's a bad record.

OK!
Angus Jung wrote:Anyway, yeah, women, metal/heavy shit, 2012, everywhere.

The Hero of Love!
Superking
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby VaticanShotglass on Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:18 pm

VaticanShotglass

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap