Total votes : 132

Band: Afghan Whigs

Postby Seaside Lounge on Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:31 pm

Afghan Whigs
Seaside Lounge
carter family
carter family

Postby djanes1 on Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:08 pm

Afghan Whigs are not crap, but Dulli's new band suuuuuuucks.
djanes1
hank aaron
hank aaron

Postby Mr. Chimp on Fri Dec 26, 2003 1:19 am

Big Top Halloween - Not crap
Up in it - totally not crap
congregation - umm...okay, not totally crappy
Gentlemen - super self-indulgent, yet not crap, especially after that one bad breakup I had that one time.

Then their nifty-ass drumming human gets replaced, and I haven't enjoyed a sigle lick.

I mean nothing else in their output matches that opening drumstuff on Gentlemen's track number one.

Black love - sold it

1965 (?) bored.

Plus I saw the AW in some movie called Beautiful Girls and it was shite.

So, not crap, but I don't pay attention anymore.
Mr. Chimp
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Mr. Chimp on Fri Dec 26, 2003 1:24 am

Plus I saw the AW in some movie called Beautiful Girls and it was shite.

I mean, it was up there with that time that "Urge Overkill" "performed" the Ntional anthem in Kingpin, a fine film about the Amish, bowling, and the talents of Bill Murray and his hair.

But do you remember "UO" doing that?

go rent or pop it in and ffwd to the final tourney and then you'll see.

Wasn't that bullshit?
Mr. Chimp

Postby iodizedsalt on Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:46 pm

Mr. Chimp wrote:Gentlemen - super self-indulgent, yet not crap, especially after that one bad breakup I had that one time.

agreed.
i've purchased and repurchased this album several times just for post-break-up anger management.
outside of that i never listen to 'em.
i swear this is the last time i post here.
iodizedsalt
streetsweeper
streetsweeper

Postby Angry_Dragon on Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:55 am

NOT CRAP

I remember being exposed to these guys on The Grunge Years: A Sub Pop Compilation where they did "Retarded". This led me to make a purchase of Up In It. I got Gentleman shortly there after. Great album. Black Love had it's moments of greatness as well. 1960-SUCK or whatever it was called did just that.

Who you callin' retarded now?
Better yet, eat the placenta!!!
Angry_Dragon
18th Amendment

Location: Baltimore, Where Murderous Football Players Own Resturaunts

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:07 pm

My friend Big Irv's band, Krakh (Dave Pajo on drums), opened for the Afhan Wigs a few times way back when. On the night in question, Irv and I got totally drunk after his set. He'd told me that the headliners did a cool cover of "Dead Flowers," so we began heckling in earnest immediately, shouting for "Dead Flowers" at every opportunity. Finally, about 2/3 of the way through the set, Dulli said, "Look. I'm sick of singing that song. But we'll be happy to play it if one of you drunk assholes wants to come up here and sing." Needless to say, I was on the stage before he'd finished the sentence. As the drummer readied himself to give the count, Dulli waved him off, leaned over, and whispered into my ear, "You know the words, right?" I replied, on mic, "Motherfucker, I wouldn't be up here if I didn't know the words."
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Seaside Lounge on Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:14 am

That was a nice story, Brett.
Seaside Lounge
carter family
carter family

Postby revrantMeat on Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:33 pm

not crap
revrantMeat
ben franklin
ben franklin

Postby placeholder on Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:52 am

When Gentlemen came out, I was a freshman in high school. I remember them having a couple of fairly big singles off that record, and I remember dismissing them as crap without really hearing them more than a couple of times, because I assumed they were just bullshit alternative rock that MTV was foolin' the kids with. I was, at the time, probably more concerned with the latest Rosetta Stone album, or whatever other goth stuff I was listening to.

A while back, a friend of mine let me look through this box of CDs he was planning on selling, telling me to take anything I wanted. Among the things I picked up was the Afghan Whigs' Black Love. I don't remember what made me want to give them a chance, but I'm sure it has something to do with my reading about them doing good self-hating music, which is something I can almost always get behind. Around the same time, I had also picked up one of those Sub Pop video comps solely because it had a Codeine video on it. It also contained the Whigs' version of "Come See About Me." I love this song, and, remembering not liking the Whigs when I heard them years ago, I presumed they would butcher it. I liked their version. I also could not stop listening to this Black Love album. I don't know if it's intentional or not, but some of Dulli's lyrics are pretty hilarious: "You want the dog, I'll let him out/Come and get some, baby."

I picked up Gentlemen used soon after that, and wouldn't you know I thoroughly enjoy it as well. I'm thinking about picking up more of their albums. Who knew? I like this band a lot now, judging by the two records I heard. They aren't my favorite band or anything, but I really really like these two albums.

I think I was wrong to dismiss this band! NOT CRAP as far as I can tell! A nice surprise!
Last edited by placeholder on Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
placeholder
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Angry_Dragon on Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:59 pm

placeholder, don't get anymore. What you have is all you need.
Better yet, eat the placenta!!!
Angry_Dragon
18th Amendment

Location: Baltimore, Where Murderous Football Players Own Resturaunts

Postby Noah on Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:27 pm

placeholder, get congregation and up in it. you need those.

-Noah
your an idiot
Noah
"amarillo slim" preston
"amarillo slim" preston

Postby Seaside Lounge on Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:26 am

Noah wrote:placeholder, get congregation and up in it. you need those.

-Noah

Noah is correct. Those records smoke. I've been trying for some time to find them on vinyl, and apparently so has everybody else because they fetch $50 apiece.

Charles
Seaside Lounge
carter family
carter family

Postby placeholder on Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:26 am

Seaside Lounge wrote:

-Noah

Noah is correct. Those records smoke. I've been trying for some time to find them on vinyl, and apparently so has everybody else because they fetch $50 apiece.

Charles

Done and done. I'm just waitin' for the mailman to bring 'em.
placeholder

Postby Seaside Lounge on Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:07 pm

placeholder wrote:
Seaside Lounge wrote:

-Noah

Charles

Done and done. I'm just waitin' for the mailman to bring 'em.

I love how the internet allows normal rock geeks to become hyperspeed rock geeks.

C
Seaside Lounge
carter family
carter family

Postby Gramsci on Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:28 am

I was drinking a lot and listening to Black Love and most of Nick Cave's back catalogue everyday the year after I finished university.

I've never heard their old stuff, but Gentleman and Black Love rule. The out-of-tune slide solo at the end of Faded is brilliant!
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Dr. O' Nothing on Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:55 pm

I tuned out after Congregation for reasons I don't remember but today i jacked Gentlemen from the internet. First time i think i've ever listened to it but my my my I am digging this record. Quite.
Dr. O' Nothing
life
life

Postby tommydski on Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:11 pm

Yeah, that is still a pretty cool record.

NC.
run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm
tommydski
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby BClark on Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:24 pm

while imo their albums can be half filler, i've thoroughly enjoyed a few of their songs enough to merit a "not crap"

also to their credit, they seem like a humble/modest bunch of fellas, which in a strange way, tends to be a make-or-break factor for these kinds of bands.
I composed and produced the album California is Cold by Shahmen. Our song Poison has a video.
BClark
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby zom-zom on Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:28 pm

BClark wrote:also to their credit, they seem like a humble/modest bunch of fellas...

I did lighting and electrical for an Afghan Whigs video a number of years ago. Humble, modest Greg Dulli showed up late in a limo, walking stick in one hand, bottle of Maker's Mark in the other. Total Rock Star behaviour.

Never thought much of that band anyways.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap