Afghan Whigs?

Crap
22%
Not Crap
78%

Total votes : 132

Re: Band: Afghan Whigs

Postby Major on Sat May 20, 2017 12:44 pm

At this point in their career, there's no way they should be making records as good as In Spades, but goddamn it, they are.

I also paid out the nose for a ticket package that includes a meet and greet, access to soundcheck, bunch of other bullshit. I couldn't NOT do it. Fanboy #1.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby numberthirty on Wed May 24, 2017 12:53 am

On the off chance someone hasn't posted this...

phpBB [media]
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby milkmeat on Mon May 29, 2017 2:01 pm

In Spades is fucking stunning.
milkmeat
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby milkmeat on Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:45 am

milkmeat wrote:In Spades is fucking stunning.

I'm going to modify this a little. I've spent this week listening to mostly the two newest (post-reunion) records. Plus live versions, radio sessions, etc. While personally Black Love will always be a high water mark, the last two records fucking smoke. Don't give a shit that it's just Dulli and Curley and a band of hired guns, the hired guns kill it. They have new guitar players, that's great. The two newest records are strong as shit. Since I got into them, they have always been a bit of an outlier band for me, but right now I listen to them more than anything.
milkmeat
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Major on Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:20 pm

milkmeat wrote:
milkmeat wrote:In Spades is fucking stunning.

I'm going to modify this a little. I've spent this week listening to mostly the two newest (post-reunion) records. Plus live versions, radio sessions, etc. While personally Black Love will always be a high water mark, the last two records fucking smoke. Don't give a shit that it's just Dulli and Curley and a band of hired guns, the hired guns kill it. They have new guitar players, that's great. The two newest records are strong as shit. Since I got into them, they have always been a bit of an outlier band for me, but right now I listen to them more than anything.

Love this post.

I have been a massive fan since 1992. Gun to my head, probably my all-time favorite band, with Black Love being my favorite album. I was not that crazy about the Twilight Singers stuff, and when Dulli announced a new AF record, my expectations were pretty low, but goddamn if these 2 albums don't hold up against the original line-up's shit. These "hired guns" are essentially what the Twilight Singers were towards the end, and John Curley is one of my favorite bassists, definitely a huge influence.

My best friend (that I now hate) saw them at Primavera a few days ago as a casual fan, but he was over the moon about them. Said the set was outstanding. I won't have a chance to see them until October, but I cannot wait to do so.

In Spades is so fucking good, AOTY, for sure. If you don't like them, you won't like the record, so I won't bother trying to sell it.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby numberthirty on Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:33 pm

Agreed on that point.

Many records where there have been one or two key members with hired players or well meaning replacements have been far worse than the last two records this band has made.
numberthirty

Postby zircona1 on Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:13 pm

I never listened to them until they reformed for ATP five years ago. I had heard of them, but knew none of their songs - wait, I knew 'Debonair'. So I gave Gentlemen a spin, I enjoyed it, specifically Greg Dulli's intense vocals. I listened to the retrospective album too, which had some good stuff on there - Retarded, John the Baptist, Let Me Lie to You, the Come See About Me cover, etc.

I haven't heard the new one, but Do to the Beast wasn't very memorable. I did see them live when they toured for it, the show was better than expected. The encore was terrific - 'Somethin Hot', 'Going to Town', and ending with 'Faded' and a bit of 'Across 110th Street' thrown in.

Not crap.
- "Whatever happened to that album?"
- "I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall, and it like, shattered."
zircona1
gus hansen
gus hansen

Postby enframed on Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:55 pm

numberthirty wrote:On the off chance someone hasn't posted this...

phpBB [media]

Nice cover.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed

Postby Major on Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:29 am

For a split second the other day, Sub Pop had preorder links up for LP reissues of Up In It, Congregation (2 LPs!!), and Uptown Avondale. Curious to see if they will be getting the full on remastering treatment. I have all the originals, but Congregation in particular has been well loved, so it will be nice to have a better copy.

If I remember correctly, the release date was late September. When I tried to add them to my cart, it gave me an error message.

In Spades is still far and away my most listened to album of the year, and way better than anything else I've heard.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby numberthirty on Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:39 am

Just in case folks might not have come across this...

phpBB [media]
numberthirty

Postby Major on Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:34 pm

numberthirty wrote:Just in case folks might not have come across this...

phpBB [media]

Very cool. I hope this means Dulli will finally be on WTF soon.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby milkmeat on Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:35 pm

There is a GD solo record coming out in aboutta week or so. The few tracks I've heard from it are STRONG decent (like 5-6 plays in a row decent) as are the little studio tracking teasers that are coming out on social media. Like a sauce pan or a tamale steaming pot, this record is going to uh be a cooker.
milkmeat
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Major on Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:17 pm

The solo Dulli album is surprisingly good as it sounds completely singular in his body of work. Doesn’t sound like AW or TW, it sounds like Greg Dulli. And he’s decided to drop all the cringy innuendos and “sexy” stuff. Maybe this is post-#metoo Greg Dulli.

It’s a great album.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby milkmeat on Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:33 pm

Major wrote:
It’s a great album.

So good.
milkmeat
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Dudley on Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:52 pm

Has his voice changed massively, or is he digitally manipulating it? He's singing way lower, or er, bassier, than before. At one point he sounds like Elvis Costello!
Seby wrote:How does the sting of marginalisation taste now, you pick-using oppressors?
Dudley
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Major on Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:12 pm

It sounds to me like he’s just trying something new. It’s odd sounding at times that’s for sure.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap